PDA

View Full Version : b18a1 Clutch change!!

crispy
28-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey all you LS owners... im currently getting a clutch put in my car, its an Exedy Sports organic. My clutch atm is totally screwed, so hopefully this clutch will kick ass.

I will let you guys know how it goes, and ill do a little product review once i get the car back...

LO_N_SXC
28-03-2006, 01:12 PM
LOL I'm currently working on a clients DA9 (major service) I'm also doing the clutch on his car but I ran into problems with one of the bolts that hold the Starter motor through the gearbox to the block, it seems to be either seased up inside the thread or being stuborn also having a rounded off bolt head ain't helping much, might have to cut it off with the dremmel and replace it with a new bolt once the gearbox comes out.

Good on you Crispy let us guys know how it all goes, especially me I'm also due in for a new clutch!

Boost Cruisin
28-03-2006, 03:03 PM
yea man i will be buying a new clutch soon so id be very interested to know what u think of the exedy one

string
28-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Well what are the chances of this?

My clutch just came in yesterday.

55% harder pressure plate, full-face organic disc. Good for 283ft.lb of torque.
Also have a 5.5kg steel flywheel to go in.

Engine will be comming out in a week or two for a bit of work so i'll be putting it in then!

OP: How much are you paying for the clutch, and how much for labour?

(Not intrested in getting anyone to do mine for me, just wondering how much people spend on labour these days)

crispy
28-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Well... just got the car back! All i can say is bedding in periods suck ass!
First thing i did was to feel the clutch pedal, a lot stiffer and a lot more precise, although a lot heavier on the foot (this i can live with).
So once i was ready to go, put the car in reverse, start to bring my left foot out *clunk* stalled it. Kinda embarrassing, but started her up again and i was prepared for the engagement of the clutch. Reversing is not as bad as i would have thought it would have been. No shuddering or hopping just smooth motion. Driving takes a little getting used to, as starting from a halt may reduce the tread on tyres ever so slightly. This clutch grips like a pit bull onto a lamb chop. So going from a clutch you can ride all night and day, to a clutch that bites viciously is a big step. Now i would not recomend this clutch to anyone who wants a nice daily driver, as start-stop traffic will give you the shits. All in all this is great value for money, you get power to the wheels without struggle and i have noticed i have much more acceleration now than i did this morning.
This clutch is fantastic, and i havent even driven it hard yet (90k's still left in bedding in period), so if you want a good track/street clutch seriously consider this.

aus91integra
28-03-2006, 09:38 PM
woot good to hear ur happy with it...

ps was funny when you stalled it :) takes a little getting used to .. now you just have to sell your old one..

crispy
28-03-2006, 09:44 PM
lol... yeah man all the way home i was trying so hard not to chirp the tyres.. btw anyone who wants a clutch for a b18a1, just pm me, like new, lol

Bowzer
28-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Glad you like the new clutch

string
28-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Crispy, what sort of disc do you have? Pucked? I don't know anything about the exedy range...

wynode
28-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Moved to teh more appropriate forum.

crispy
29-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, why has this been placed in the noob forum?? im not asking any questions, im merely reviewing a product i have had installed in my car to give a view on what it is like.

*confused*???

Here is some lightt reading for all you that are interested
Exedy Clutches (http://www.exedy.com.au/)