PDA

View Full Version : Civic Help!!!!1

shadou
29-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm going for my first car soon, second hand of car not rich :(. Anyway the car im planning on gettin is either a 97-98 honda civic Gli or VTi Sedan. Anyway both these cars are well over the 150k mark and im gonna rebuild the engine regardless and wanting to keep it N/A cos i hate turbo's and super chargers. Just wanting any opinions on these 2 cars and any engine swap ideas for this car. Oh by the way i can bargain my way down around the high $9k to mid $10k range, and have around $5k to blow on a second hand engine from jap. Thnx in advance to any posters.

NeRV
29-03-2006, 12:00 PM
get a EG Hatch and blow that money on it :p

incoming
29-03-2006, 12:07 PM
if ur gona end up getting a 2nd hand Jap motor, might as well get the GLi and save the rest of the cash for the jap motor

[[d a n n y]]
29-03-2006, 12:08 PM
u hate turbos and superchargers..
hm...
that's not nice..
get an EG hatch and use the money instead to do a engine conversion..

shadou
29-03-2006, 02:05 PM
nah im keen on moddin a sedan (interior wise), I was gonna go for the hatch but too mny azns hav civic hatches where i live. I plan on blowing the next 3 years while im doing my apprentice in auto. mechanics to "sexing" my car up, also have friend and i (quote) 'experienced rally car builder' to help me in my crusade ^^

SiReal
29-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Great cars. I had a 98 GLi power everything. now its my sisters... The stock seats are pertty useless cos they dont hold u up at all but apart from that, its a great reliable car. we've got 150K kms and its still going strong whilst withstanding the occasional fang. Weve only had one issue and that was to dow ith the rear sussy, not enough lubricant on the parts, hence creaking. But with abit of silicone spray, its all good.

anyway, good luck in finding a well priced Japanese import engine above the year of your car for a good price and low ks. Not alot of them floating around me thinks. :)

shadou
29-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah i manage to track down a few inporters but there main engines are from 98 below, but hopefully i can mak an older engine say 96-97 H22a or the ever common B16 series fit under the bonnet and work. and yes i do hate turbos and supers and im azn :o WTF? because any monkey can hav it under the hood and call themselves racers, but im azn and i lik N/A machines more fun then chuckin a bolt on turbo under the hood.

mugeneration
29-03-2006, 06:07 PM
if ur gona end up getting a 2nd hand Jap motor, might as well get the GLi and save the rest of the cash for the jap motor

2nd that. The Gli is nice and reliable, with a SOHC non vtec motor. Its really easy on petrol, especially with exhaust and air filter modifications, which will only set you back a feww hundred each. Pretty much anything you add onto that engine (as long as you dont touch the engine itself) will also go on to your new engine.

I got mine for a bit over $8k. REALLY good deal coz the guy originally wanted 10. Got over 160000kms on it and ive only had to replace the clutch, which usually gives out at around that time.

shadou
29-03-2006, 06:36 PM
holy shi* you only got a civic for 8k?? All the ppl i find on carsales.com.au r askin for around $13k for theirs, and it's done over 100000km as well. lol better start hunting for a cheaper one, kinda wanna save all the money i can to get this project done :D

Nuttz
29-03-2006, 07:18 PM
shadou... buy a GLi sedan with good body but crappy motor, then just save up for the engine swap after and then spend your money on the new motor. If you want quick NA go the K20A it will be very quick. It wont be an easy swap like the B series motors but after getting new engine mounts and harness you are set to go.

shadou
29-03-2006, 09:58 PM
sweet thnx for all your contributions, finally have a good solid idea of what to do, so far i think i'll do the gli sedan with a k20a or h22a depending on avalibility and then concentrate on interior. Great help thnx ppl and if anyone noes of any other 2nd hand jap import websites could they plz post on here im runnin dry on only one importer.