PDA

View Full Version : V6 Turbo

Spoon-Accord
29-03-2006, 08:21 PM
hey guys..

tried reserching this. but never came to a conclusion on how a V6 turbo works.

my legend has a north - south configuration. which is totally awkward.

like i said.. in a H22a all 4 ports meet at the flange.
then how is a V6 gonna meet at 1 flange? especially at a single turbo ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/spoon-accord/AcuraRunningButNotFinished005.jpg

this guy did it. but no pictures of the manifold etc..

has anyone got any ideas? or diagrams or how this is gonna happen?

lots of help needed..

also?
would a GT2540 be enough for a 3.2 V6?

kenny

urtwhistle
29-03-2006, 09:45 PM
hey, wat i have seen done on a few lexus v8's. they run extractors that run forward and have a pip in the shape of U that runs from left to right joining the left and right banks together. then from there it runs into the turbo as a normal single turbo setup.

i was looking for a pic i had of an exhaust setup for a single turbo v8 but thats gone walkies.

i hope that helps

chris

Spoon-Accord
29-03-2006, 11:31 PM
now i get it..
i think your trying to say is..

V6 have 2 seperate manifolds.

buy joining the 2 pipes togehter and making it a single and feeding it back to the top where the turbo sits ( like in the picture) it should work..

but.. the distance is too long.. wouldnt that create huge lag??

ken

yourfather
30-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Maybe twin turbo is the way to go?

I dunno :( hope you can do it :)

j-specAccord
30-03-2006, 04:24 PM
N, S ? that would mean that the legends are RWD?

j-specAccord
30-03-2006, 04:25 PM
if that is true then im gettin myself a legend!!!

any legend owners care to let us know?

saxman
30-03-2006, 06:46 PM
they're longitudial mounted, but still fwd

Spoon-Accord
30-03-2006, 07:06 PM
i was gauging in the bay today.

no space wat so ever.. how the hell he do it?

Spoon-Accord
30-03-2006, 11:10 PM
someone help me?

Weq
30-03-2006, 11:16 PM
they use a crossover pipe and merge the 2 pipes into 1. just like on a WRX

its pretty straigth foward.
most of the time the crosover pump will go under the engine or around the front of it.
its alot more involved and manifold runner length isnt the most important part.

Spoon-Accord
31-03-2006, 07:00 AM
so weq.. one pipe is longer than the other is that a problem tho?

j-specAccord
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
no, one side is not longer.
the 3 pipes on the 'short side' will usually be twisted or curled to match the length of the pipes on the long side which have to be brought round.
there are alot of different V6 turbo set-ups as there is with 4 cylinders also.
one example i have seen in person, not saying i like it lol, is a toyota lexcen (toyota commodore basically) both manifolds were brought round the front of the engine and the turbo was top mounted in front of the radiator.
you have said, and in the pic we can see that the engine bay has very little room, therefore you would have to have a side mounted set-up which will have to include a custom manifold. in a forced induction engine short pipes are not a neccesity as the air is 'forced' not sucked, unless you are seeking extreme performance gains.
hope it helps a bit, remember if you wanna talk dude im on msn regurly

dhdevil
17-04-2006, 07:09 PM
no, one side is not longer.
the 3 pipes on the 'short side' will usually be twisted or curled to match the length of the pipes on the long side which have to be brought round.
there are alot of different V6 turbo set-ups as there is with 4 cylinders also.
one example i have seen in person, not saying i like it lol, is a toyota lexcen (toyota commodore basically) both manifolds were brought round the front of the engine and the turbo was top mounted in front of the radiator.
you have said, and in the pic we can see that the engine bay has very little room, therefore you would have to have a side mounted set-up which will have to include a custom manifold. in a forced induction engine short pipes are not a neccesity as the air is 'forced' not sucked, unless you are seeking extreme performance gains.
hope it helps a bit, remember if you wanna talk dude im on msn regurly

yea the whole turbo thing can be done, once again most things can is you have the money, besides from that its just the KA7-KA9 (sedan - coupe) engine bay is just so tight. ive got pics if some one wants to host them.

theres talk of a exhaust turbo setup being made in the states, but i dont think we will see any thing down under like that.

Surrufus
17-04-2006, 08:02 PM
most V-configured turbo set ups use twin turbos for easy of plumbing
correct me if im wrong but if you were to mount the turbo at the back of the engine where the extractors come together for the exhaust system it may be possible to use a single turbo without having the problem of different length manifolds

yourfather
17-04-2006, 09:29 PM
problem would be intake plumbing if u mounted there