PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Recommendation thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Spunkymonkey
10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Dunlop SP Sport MAXX only come in 17'' or 19'' according to their website...
No one has any Dunlop Direzza DZ101's anymore...

and since when did Bridgestone G3's sell for $165 each (195/55/R15)???? Focking expensive man.... anyone know a really cheap place for G3's in my size???
schucks man...

the website isn't up to date for the sp sport maxx. call your local dunlop dealer and see if they have your size. the 17 inch size I have wasn't listed on dunlop site either.

Hondavirgin
13-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Anyone got any feedback on the Yokohama A.drive R1s? also, anyone know the load rating of AD07s?

slidetaker
14-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Anyone got any feedback on the Yokohama A.drive R1s? also, anyone know the load rating of AD07s?
According to Yokie website, A.drive R1s is higher performance ranked than C.drive, have to call up the sport tyre dealer for the load rating of AD07s though....
http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/matrix_passenger.aspx

shebangs
20-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm getting some new rims from tempe this month, whats decent rubber I should get with it? Nothing too expensive or exotic like P0's - but something with really good dry grip, average wet and nice thread pattern? 205/45/R17. or 215/45/R17 .. whichever has the most tyre choices.

ShAwNeX
21-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Michelin Pilot Preceda

Fantastic performance and a all round weather performer.

They retail from about $185

Available for 15"-19"

fortec@sprint.net.au
28-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Hello Everyone,

Took me ages to go through every response on this thread.

My current OEM Dunlops 205/55R16V91s are on their last month or so (done 50,000 Kms) and am looking for replacements. I do mainly city and freeway driving (90%) with the occassional country run (10%). Stopping power and wet grip is non-negotiable. The Dunlops were not fancy but they held their own under most normal driving conditions.

Mine is a lease car so am limited to my choices of preferred suppliers. From what I have read, surfed,etc., I am kinda narrowed to the following:

Bridgestone SO3s ($265ea)
Bridgestone G3s ($230ea)
Bridgestone ER30s ($280ea)
Continental CSC2s ($220ea)
Yokohama C.Drives ($220ea)

I think some of these prices are negotiable as they seem steep (ok ridiculous) when I read your comments.

I had some Yokis (A539s I think) on my old commodore and they were great, but had to replace them after only 35,000Kms! If the C.Drives are the A539 replacement, I am loathed to buy them. I am told the SO3s will fall into same category.

I like my next set of tyres to be better than the OEM Dunlops but to get at least 40,000kms out of them. From what is left, it looks like I am down to CSC2s and the G3s. Anyone like to give me their opinion on these?

Should I have considered other brands? I am a bit of a Bridgestone, Yokohama and Michellin bigot but am prepared to hear your opinions.

akira
28-11-2006, 04:41 PM
i was told some YOKOHAMA tyres was good but forgot the model...
currently using POTENZA GIII's 205/55/15...good in most conditions but gets a lil noisy when there isnt much grip left on it.but overall its good for day to day driving with a occasion of some wheelies...S03's arent bad too but dont actually know cos i havent tried it before

aaronng
28-11-2006, 05:14 PM
C.Drives have a wear rating of 300 now. What was the wear rating on the A539 that you had? I have C.Drives on our Astra, and they are good and silent. In terms of grip, it's better than the Dunlop 2050m that you have, and in the wet, the Dunlops are no challenge at all.

FRANKENcivic
28-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I need advise on quieter/ smoother 17" tyres. My current nankangs 205/45 have way too much road noise..:eek:

fortec@sprint.net.au
28-11-2006, 07:19 PM
The Yokis I had was not the A539s. They were the A509s. Yeah, that was a while ago. The A509s were awesome until I done about 35,000Kms. Then the rubber compound harden so it was like driving on roller skates.

I went to the Bridgestone GR50s after that. They were competent but nowhere as good as the A509s. Then again I got good mileage out of the GR50s. So it is always a bit of a compromise between performance and wear.

Anyway, what does a wear rating of 300 mean? I love the looks of the C.Drives but don't fancy parting with $900 (include a wheel alignment) for tyres that will only last 18 months

aaronng
28-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Wear rating of 200 supposedly translates to about 55,000km. I doubt the C.Drive with 300 would 1/3 longer as the rubber would harden first. But it won't be as short as 24 months.

BTW, for Yokos, try calling up Tyrepower for quotes.

fortec@sprint.net.au
28-11-2006, 07:50 PM
So the higher the rating, the longer they wear? Therefore a 300 rating would supposedly mean one should get something in excess of 55,000 Kms (rating of 200)? Or at least make it to 55,000 kms? Where is this stuff published?

The best I ever got on a set of tyres was 60,000 kms. I cannot remember what brand they were but they were not great, otherwise I would have remember them! I have now developed a habit to closely examine tyres once they have done 40,000 kms and just replace them outright if and when they make it to 50,000 kms.

If the C.drives have a rating of 300, almost assuring that I can get 45 to 50,000 kms, then they just creeped back into consideration. I read on the Tirerack web site that the Continental CSC2s are more of a dry weather tyre so I may just steer away from them

aaronng
28-11-2006, 08:31 PM
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Basically, you can expect a 300 rating tyre to last twice as long as a 150 tyre as long as the driving conditions are the same and the alignment is perfect.

fortec@sprint.net.au
28-11-2006, 09:04 PM
This is a fantastic web site. Sure explains a heck of a lot of stuff.

Where does the rating of 300 for the C.drive come from?

BTW, Tyrepower is not one of my leasing company's preferred suppliers. But Bob Jane is and they can supply the C.drive at @220 each. I would anticipate to pay something less than that thru the buying/referral power of the leasing company

aaronng
28-11-2006, 09:15 PM
It's printed on the tyre sidewall. I'm running a set on one of our cars.

I was quoted $188 for C.Drive 205/55 R16 at Claremont Tyrepower.

Bob Jane Bondi Junction wanted $205 fitted and balanced.

fortec@sprint.net.au
28-11-2006, 09:28 PM
LOL.

Yes, that is one way to find out the rating. On the actual tyre itself - Doh!:o

I am just about sold on the c.drives now.

Those sound like really good prices. I also now have reference points to go and negotiate. Will let you know how it pans out

mrwillz
28-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Looking for 2 front new tyres for 18inch wheels.. after something cheap around 150 mark which is decent... thinking of getting Ling Longs! Anyone heard of this brand? its a copy of the Nankangs? What you guys reckon??

EK9
28-11-2006, 11:34 PM
When i was hunting for tyres, i basically narrowed it down to a very similar list like yours. Was pretty much set on getting the C.drives as well, heard a lot of good things and are supposedly very quiet (compared to my previous BS GIIIs and RE010, which i found noisy esp in my ek9).

But i thought i'd try some Hankooks as i have a friend who works for them, and hearing alot about silica tyres i thought i'd give them a go, as they were a lil cheaper too. Got me some 205/45/16 Hankook K424s and honestly i was quite suprised and very impressed... to me they were lighter on the steering and handling and i felt they rolled alot better, and were quieter too. Can't complain about grip either, very good and on par with my previous GIIIs and RE010s. I've really come to liking them, and will very likely get another set of Hankooks later on... the model i got were performance/comfort... but i think the most popular performance is the K104, similar league to GIIIs, C.drives. Have a look into them too if you can...

EK9
28-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Looking for 2 front new tyres for 18inch wheels.. after something cheap around 150 mark which is decent... thinking of getting Ling Longs! Anyone heard of this brand? its a copy of the Nankangs? What you guys reckon??
I've heard of them, duno how good they are tho...

Honestly, i've learned my lesson and i wouldn't recommend anyone go too cheap when it comes to tyres. They're what keeps u stuck to the ground, and safety wise they're one of the most important things on ur car. $100-200 difference for tyres isn't alot when u compare to claiming insurance or repairs or worse if anything happens due to shitty tyres. Anyway, i'm sure u can get a better set of tyres for only a little more.

Kit
29-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Mine is a lease car so am limited to my choices of preferred suppliers. From what I have read, surfed,etc., I am kinda narrowed to the following:

Bridgestone SO3s ($265ea)
Bridgestone G3s ($230ea)
Bridgestone ER30s ($280ea)
Continental CSC2s ($220ea)
Yokohama C.Drives ($220ea)

Out of the ones you mentioned I would probably only get the S03. The S03 is a higher grade than the G3. Also I haven't heard of the ER30 before.

I managed to get over 35,000km out of my set of S03s with rotation. But that is without any tyre abuse like burnouts etc.
My car makes a fair bit more power than the Accord so you should get significantly more mileage out of a set.
Like most tyres, they started losing a bit of grip towards the end of their life though.

One other thing to remember, the S03 has been around for a while now, so there are other tyres out there that perform equally as well or better for a cheaper price, such as the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Or the Goodyear GSD3.

Kit
29-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Wear rating of 200 supposedly translates to about 55,000km. I doubt the C.Drive with 300 would 1/3 longer as the rubber would harden first. But it won't be as short as 24 months.

BTW, for Yokos, try calling up Tyrepower for quotes.

One thing to keep in mind is that the TWR is not a common grading across all tyre manufacturers but a general guide within a brand.

That is, a 200 Goodyear TWR will be different to a 200 Dunlop TWR.

euro77
29-11-2006, 07:04 AM
One other thing to remember, the S03 has been around for a while now, so there are other tyres out there that perform equally as well or better for a cheaper price, such as the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Or the Goodyear GSD3.

I agree, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is a very good all rounder, and it should be cheaper than the S03.

This might help you decide which tyres to go with.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf
http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/160_0511_et_2005_tire_buyers_guide/index.html

slidetaker
29-11-2006, 07:28 AM
If the C.drives have a rating of 300, almost assuring that I can get 45 to 50,000 kms, then they just creeped back into consideration. I read on the Tirerack web site that the Continental CSC2s are more of a dry weather tyre so I may just steer away from them

Sounds like treadwear is really important to you. I don't see how SO3 and GIII can out wear C.Drive while having a higher performance than them. Beside, you should get the C.Drive a bit cheaper than the Bridgestones.

Does anyone has any update on the performance differences in GSD3 between the countries that they are made in? :(

Kit
29-11-2006, 07:52 AM
I agree, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is a very good all rounder, and it should be cheaper than the S03.

This might help you decide which tyres to go with.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf
http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/160_0511_et_2005_tire_buyers_guide/index.html

the GSD3 will be ALOT cheaper than the S03.. I know someone that bought a set of 16" for $150 each. S03, ever since they won the Wheels tyre test a couple of years ago have become a rip off.

slidetaker: I have *heard* that the german made GSD3 will outlast the Australian made ones, and that the Aussie ones lose grip towards the end.... but thats just something I heard from someone and I cannot confirm it. :)
And in anycase, whether a tyre loses grip towards the end of their life largely depends on how you treat them and how many heat cycles its been through anyway. I would say both Aussie and german ones would be pretty similar interms of quality and grip.

aaronng
29-11-2006, 10:21 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that the TWR is not a common grading across all tyre manufacturers but a general guide within a brand.

That is, a 200 Goodyear TWR will be different to a 200 Dunlop TWR.

It is standardised and carried out under controlled conditions against a control tyre of rating 100. If under the tests, the manufacturer tyre lasts twice as long, then it is given a rating of 200. Granted, two 200 rating tyres will last the same under the controlled conditions, in real liffe it is different and they will each last a different duration. However, it is still a good guide.

The rating is mandatory for the US as the test is an NHTSA test. Therefore for tyres sold in australia, you won't find the wear rating on every tyre sold here.

Kit
29-11-2006, 10:34 AM
The TWR situation must have changed then. I remember years ago when not all tyres had TWRs, it was a rating within a manufacturer and it wasn't standardised.

aaronng
29-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Yup, now it's controlled and tested by NHTSA. No more fudging numbers. LOL. Instead they now fudge EPA fuel consumption numbers by putting in 5w-20 oil into Hondas in the US.

slidetaker
29-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Yup, now it's controlled and tested by NHTSA. No more fudging numbers. LOL. Instead they now fudge EPA fuel consumption numbers by putting in 5w-20 oil into Hondas in the US.

I am not so sure about that. According to “Tirerack”..
“….it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired. The NHTSA has the right to inspect the tire manufacturer's data….”

“..Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.’’

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48&currentpage=35

aaronng
29-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I am not so sure about that. According to “Tirerack”..
“….it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired. The NHTSA has the right to inspect the tire manufacturer's data….”

“..Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.’’

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48&currentpage=35
LOL, don't take tirerack's articles as gospel.

The test track for the treadwear rating is located near San Angelo, Texas and it is owned by NHTSA. There is only ONE test track. All manufacturers go there to test, using the NHTSA testing procedure. Once manufacturer's test at that location, the data is then used to extrapolate the entire tyre life wear. Of course you can't say that a 200 tyre would last 40,000km and a 300 tyre would last EXACTLY 60,000km. It could be 50,000km, or it could be 70,000km. But, a 300 tyre should last significantly longer when driven under the same conditions as a 200 tyre. Remember, it's NOT a guarantee. It is a GUIDE.

PDF file of the testing procedure:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Vehicle%20Safety/Test%20Procedures/Associated%20Files/TP-UTQG-W-01.pdf

vtegra
29-11-2006, 05:54 PM
get a set of 205/50/15 its cheap and you can get good control out of it
or try get Falken Azeni

iamhappy46
30-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Falken tyres are crap, easy as that. Do they even make the Azeni's any more?

ccibai
30-11-2006, 07:35 PM
yeah..azenis rt-615 with a new thread pattern.

SINISTR
11-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,

im running thin on tread on my Falken Ziex512s and it looks like sooner rather than later I'll be looking to upgrade. especially after getting a nice big thick can openner wire getting stuck and deflating my tyre last night.

I found the ZIEX512s not bad in dry but just like other people here - somewhat unpredictable in wet so definatelly something better handling in the wet is what im after.

Currently running 205/40/17s.

I called a couple places based on some of the recomendations here and found the prices being slightly more... by about $80

Potenza GIII @ $289

The guy recommended the following and wandering if anyone can comment on these:

Pirelli Dragons @ $280
Pirelli 7000 @ $314

Michelin Pilot Precenda @ $279
Yokohama Aro @ $280

Kumho KU21 @229
Kumho KU31 @199

I was hoping to purchase something closer to $200 so i'll do a few more calls here and there.

any info would be appreciated

Spunkymonkey
11-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey guys,

im running thin on tread on my Falken Ziex512s and it looks like sooner rather than later I'll be looking to upgrade. especially after getting a nice big thick can openner wire getting stuck and deflating my tyre last night.

I found the ZIEX512s not bad in dry but just like other people here - somewhat unpredictable in wet so definatelly something better handling in the wet is what im after.

Currently running 205/40/17s.

I called a couple places based on some of the recomendations here and found the prices being slightly more... by about $80

Potenza GIII @ $289

The guy recommended the following and wandering if anyone can comment on these:

Pirelli Dragons @ $280
Pirelli 7000 @ $314

Yokohama Aro @ $280

Kumho KU21 @229
Kumho KU31 @199

I was hoping to purchase something closer to $200 so i'll do a few more calls here and there.

any info would be appreciated

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx in that size cost me $222 each however that was the cheapest quotation.

Yoki's can't remember the A something spec, but were about 240 odd and EVS100 were about 270. Toyo T1R's got quoted about 250 as well.

SINISTR
11-12-2006, 10:37 PM
looks like again Perth prices are more by about $40-$60 bucks!?

im tempted to get the Kuhmo KU31 @ $199.

Does anyone have them? they are getting quiet good reviews.

iamhappy46
12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Hankook K104's would fit in your budget and are quite an excellent tyre.

SINISTR
12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Hankook K104's would fit in your budget and are quite an excellent tyre.

ah yeah... thats what the guy at the tyre place said this morning when i was getting the Falken repaired.
Just had a look around and aparently they have a very weak sidewall - when hitting a pothole etc they just crap themselves - can you confirm?

iamhappy46
12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Just need to keep the tyre pressure up to recommended levels and they are fine. No less than 35psi and the sidewalls will last practically forever.

Chi
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
What you guys recommend for 14"

godo performance ones.

Spunkymonkey
12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
looks like again Perth prices are more by about $40-$60 bucks!?

im tempted to get the Kuhmo KU31 @ $199.

Does anyone have them? they are getting quiet good reviews.

I got quoted the same price for the g3's though lol...

with sydney you just ring around many places...prices vary heaps...

e.g. the most expensive quote for the dunlops I got was $345....ie...123 bucks more expensive per corner! :eek:

Nemish
13-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Quoted $160 per corner for bridgestone GIII 195/55 R15 for '98 DC2 in Brissie.

Ended up going for Yoko C-drives @$169 per corner. Highly recommend these tyres :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Same grip as G3's in the dry but the Yoko's grip very well in the wet, much better than the G3's. Even in a rainstorm they refused to break loose until I deliberatly dumped the clutch! Apparently are quieter because of their assymetrical tread.

Should last a bit longer than my previous g3's (20000 k's)

preludacris
14-12-2006, 12:21 AM
i doubt they would outgrip g3's in the dry

and in a motor mag tyre test i think it was, c drives were actually the loudest out of the group. opposite of what they claim. tho, the difference between the loudest and quitest tyre apparently would not be noticable to the human ear.

anywayz, thats what i magazine said. i havn't experience either so i can't really make judgement.

aaronng
14-12-2006, 02:28 AM
I've used C.drives in 15, and driven a car with GIII in 15 as well. C.drive is quieter. Dry grip-wise, I didn't push the GIII, but the C.drive grip well when going 10/10. In the wet, C.drives are superb as well. GIII doesn't have as good wet braking ability.

stoodamire
15-12-2006, 01:26 AM
up for new tyres on my R

had the RE010, but seems like the GIII has superseded them...

so in the market for new 1s..

195/55/R15
GIII got quoted 165 per tyre

any other recommendations?

Nemish
15-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure what tires you need will depend on your driving style.
Your choice will depend on what whether your you drive your car daily or just on weekends or on the track or whether you drive long distances.
My DC2 is pretty much a daily driver and I occasionally go for long distance drives, so I thought a good all-round tyre would be the more appropriate for me. If you read a few posts back my recommendation was for Yokohama C.drives as they have decent grip wet or dry and are only slighty more expensive than G3's.
G3's a quite a good tyre, but in my own experience they weren't that great in the wet and didn't last very long.
If you track your R a bit then I'm sure other members here will make some more tyre recommendations to you.
Cheers

SLOWEGG
15-12-2006, 01:38 PM
165 for GIII ?!?! i got quoted for only 130.. 195/55/R15.

fortec@sprint.net.au
15-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Well everyone. I had my heart set on a set of C.Drvies after reading through all these replies and recommendations.

I went to the lease company's designated Tyre Dealer and asked for C.Drives. He didn't have any in stock for my tyre size (205/55/16) and I really didn't want to wait until the new year so I went for what I thought were the next best thing - Michelin Precedas.

Full of excitment I took them out. Fantastic I thought: Quiet, a bit softer and very comfortable. They were comparable with the OEM Dunlop 2020s. I have had them for 1000kms now then I took them out in the rain.

What a disappointment!

In a straight line and slow turns - bewdiful! Then I took a slight hair pin bend at about 40 kphs and whoa...slide city..... Geezes I am disappointed! I mean these are new and just runned in.

I have only ever slid once in the OEM Dunlops and that was after nearly 50,000 Kms. Now I am stuck with these crap-in-the-wet tyres for another couple of years. I have lost all confidence of handling the Euro in the wet.

If you want wet grip, give these a miss. Go with the C.Drives. All those people out there can't be wrong. I should have waited.....

aaronng
15-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I went to the lease company's designated Tyre Dealer and asked for C.Drives. He didn't have any in stock for my tyre size (205/55/16) and I really didn't want to wait until the new year so I went for what I thought were the next best thing - Michelin Precedas.

Full of excitment I took them out. Fantastic I thought: Quiet, a bit softer and very comfortable. They were comparable with the OEM Dunlop 2020s. I have had them for 1000kms now then I took them out in the rain.

What a disappointment!

That's the problem. Dunlop 2020s and 2050s are SHIT. Poor grip in the dry and next to none in the wet. If you want something from Michelin that is up there with the C.Drive, then look at the Pilot Sport. But I don't think they make it in 16" as most European sports models come with 17" or larger. That's why if you want a higher performing tyre in a smaller size, you need to go for a Japanese brand.

iamhappy46
17-12-2006, 09:23 AM
My Girlfriend has the C.Drives on her Astra in 205/55R16 and handling in all conditions is fantastic to say the least ;)

Shame about the lease tyre dealer actually allowing you to fit them, they should have suggested otherwise :(

PaZzMaN-R
17-12-2006, 09:36 AM
any reviews on the continental premium contacts?

X_X
17-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Yoko C-drive: 225/45/17
price: 260/cnr from bob jane
performance: one of the good reputation tyre, excellent grip dry or wet, but bit noisy on fwyz, but they rekon if u put pure nitrogen in it would make it alot beta

preludacris
17-12-2006, 04:05 PM
who drives hard in the wet anywayz.

obviously if u have mad dry grip, ur gonna sacrifice some wet grip. take so3 for example. i wonder if they would be a dissapointment :S

X_X
17-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Yokohama Aro @ $280
wif this price u can get c-drive which is well known very nice tyres, Michelin PP2 is not bad as well(very quiet but not as soft as yoki's), but guess u can get them cheaper than this price!

mine yoko's c-drive 225/45/17 from bob jane onli $260 per corner include fitting, so go shop around.

DNYALL
17-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Looking at getting a set of bridgestone potenza GIII's for my soon to arrive 16" rims. I Want to keep as close to the rolling diameter i have now to have minimum rubbing. Currently i am running 195/50/15's on my stock rims. So i am thinking a set of 205/45/16's would be the best option. I figoured with this tyre on a 16" rim it would push up the rolling diameter about 7.5mm more into the gaurd. I have looked into the SO3's as well but they don't have the size that i want. Any recomendations on other options or does this sound about right, sound like a good option. Wat kind of prices am i looking at??

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks,
-Mike

Bubu
19-12-2006, 10:30 AM
For those interested in tyres in the size of 185/60/14. Just got a quote from Bob Jane Box Hill for

Bridgestone GIII's = $99
Yokohama C.drive = $119

fitted and balanced...

mrwillz
19-12-2006, 02:10 PM
A week ago i got myself two Falken FK451's in size 215/35/18s, very good tyres, handles well in the wet and the dry however very very noisy tyres! Possibly noisy because i havent done an alignment yet?

cdjhitman
19-12-2006, 04:18 PM
wat do u guys reckon about a 225x50/16 for $115. They are called directional tyres. ive never heard of them. by the way they are brand new.

cheers guys.

i-vtec
19-12-2006, 06:33 PM
can anyone comment on the new toyo proxes 4, from experience ?

97EK1
19-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I’m yet to see a review for these in here and am quite surprised about it, for those wondering ill give my personal take on these fantastic tyres.

Falken Azenis RT-615
205/50R15
Tread wear 200
Traction A
Temperature A
$220 each fitted and balanced (Re.JDMyard)

As my first tyre Review I can safely say if you are after a tyre with the utmost excellence in dry weather handling with no bearing on tread wear the Falken Azenis RT-615 is the tyre for you. Bordering the line of Radial and Semi Slick the RT-615 is a hard tyre to beat with its versatility as a Street/Track tyre. Much like the model it replaced, this tyre has had numerous reviews putting forward that the tyre has poor wet weather characteristics. However, my personal experiences through heavy rain (coming home from eastern creek) have shown that given a responsible driving style these tyres are perfectly fine during wet weather, contra to these reviews. If you are after a tyre Irrespective of It’s wear I highly recommend these tyres and I give it 4 out of 5 thumbs up.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

z3lda
19-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Looking at getting a set of bridgestone potenza GIII's for my soon to arrive 16" rims. I Want to keep as close to the rolling diameter i have now to have minimum rubbing. Currently i am running 195/50/15's on my stock rims. So i am thinking a set of 205/45/16's would be the best option. I figoured with this tyre on a 16" rim it would push up the rolling diameter about 7.5mm more into the gaurd. I have looked into the SO3's as well but they don't have the size that i want. Any recomendations on other options or does this sound about right, sound like a good option. Wat kind of prices am i looking at??

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks,
-Mike

205/40/16

STIGT
20-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Bridgestone S03 = you cant be wrong.. one of the best tyres for street!! a bit ex but its a day and night difference from any street tyres... if you want to track your car, go for Bridgestone RE55s.

bungsai
16-01-2007, 12:15 PM
in about an hour i am going to bob jane to get Falken 329's installed at 205/45/16.

$615 Fitted, balanced and a 4 wheel alignment.

Should i go...or no go?

btw my car is sitting at a shell servo atm...waiting for my gf to come with a spare....SHES THE BEST whuahah :D:D

STIGT
16-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Try Donnellans in Box Hill. look for Paul. Tell him James send you there.

The last time i got quoted 215/45/17 (Bridgestone S03) for $295 per tyre fitted and balance.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/treads/s03.asp

I think 205/45/16 will be a bit cheaper.

rogue_mc
16-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately The S03 doesn't come in 205/45/16. For a 16" rim it only comes in 205/55 or 225/50.

STIGT
16-01-2007, 11:49 PM
hmm.. since they dont have your size, Try the handkooks S2 tyre, they are pretty good for the price..

http://www.hankooktyre.com.au/v2/products/product_detail.asp?search=uhpt&id=1172

http://www.hankooktyre.com.au/upload/product_image/Z212_F1.jpg

Ventus R-S2 Z212

Superior Control
The world's first use of High Grip Silica Compound (HGSC) Technology Enables outstanding grip.
Crisp Cornering
Extra wide shoulder blocks and steel reinforced 2-layer carcass ensure tight cornering
Enhance Durability
2-ply high density nylon full cover and rayon carcass provide greater durability at high-speeds

They are pretty much around GIII and 050A standards but heaps cheaper.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Hankook_Ventus_R-S2_(Z212)_tire_reviews.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1002582.html

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:UjfIgqrLD3cJ:www.wheelsjamaica.com/wheels_forum/index.php%3FPHPSESSID%3D110a468c894a85ead97edc8bd0 986226%26topic%3D37696%3Bprev_next%3Dnext+Ventus+S 2+tyre+review&hl=en&gl=au&ct=clnk&cd=12

iced
17-01-2007, 09:35 AM
205/40/16
205/45 is fine
205/40 is a rare size and not cheap

newmski
17-01-2007, 04:25 PM
any one running these hankook rs2 (z212)?
went to tyre shop today and got what i thought was a reasonable quote (cheaper than replacing with gIII's again). i would just like to hear 1st experienced reviews on them

sivic
17-01-2007, 04:57 PM
yeah i'm using them and my bro is using them on his DC2R.
really good tyre for the price.
plenty of lateral grip. no problems with them at all.
i was using dunlop FM901's before this and i found that these perform nearly as well. prob not quite as much grip from a standing start but still enough.
overall, a good tyre you won't be dissappointed with. much better than GIII's imo

STIGT
17-01-2007, 06:20 PM
A few of my mates in the wrx club using these tyres on sand down and they love it for the price and thread wear.. it is a high performance tyre but lower then the S03 in the wet.

As for the S2, they are pretty much better then GIII and about the same as RE050A. (one thing i can say, the Hankooks are more predictable then the GIII when understeer)

But if you are going to push very hard on the track, they are no way near S03 and RE55S semi slicks. For Value of money and good grip in the dry & wet, they are very good bang for your bunks..

If i have a choice for street use, i will chose the S03.. if i want a cheaper option, the hankooks S2 will be my 2nd choice..

4agte
18-01-2007, 09:36 PM
What did the s2's set you back sounds like a good tyre??

isnt the s03 being replaced by the re-01r

FYI I raced on the re-01r in a spec f2000 series were a great tyre awesome in the dry and decent in the wet lasted a long time (well the car only weighed 600kgs wet) and would last about 12 laps b4 they went off on a track that was pretty hard on tyres id expect them to be pricey tho

shebangs
22-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Can anyone comment on Pirelli P700's in 215/40/R17?

I'm upgrading my stockies on the DC2 and instead of getting cheap rubber, have decided to upgrade to these. What other options am I looking at for decent rubber on 215/40/r17 that looks good aswell?

jenova
22-01-2007, 10:42 AM
What did the s2's set you back sounds like a good tyre??

isnt the s03 being replaced by the re-01r

FYI I raced on the re-01r in a spec f2000 series were a great tyre awesome in the dry and decent in the wet lasted a long time (well the car only weighed 600kgs wet) and would last about 12 laps b4 they went off on a track that was pretty hard on tyres id expect them to be pricey tho

where can you get re01-r here?

vupham
23-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Try Maxxis Ma-z1 vitra, $185 per corner for 215/45/17 including fitting and balance. Tthe grip on the dry is quite good, overall its good for what they worth, i can definately launch at 5k rpm with out wheels spin.

arron
24-01-2007, 11:10 AM
ok, im in sydney and called the main distributor for hankook tyres and apparently 'S2's arent sold in Australia... Lol... I don't think they had any idea what they were on about...

can anyone tell me where they can purchase the Hankook S2's in Sydney?

aaronng
24-01-2007, 11:42 AM
ok, im in sydney and called the main distributor for hankook tyres and apparently 'S2's arent sold in Australia... Lol... I don't think they had any idea what they were on about...

can anyone tell me where they can purchase the Hankook S2's in Sydney?

LOL, aren't these the ones? http://www.hankooktyre.com.au/v2/products/product_detail.asp?search=uhpt&id=1172

Looks like they call it the Ventus R-S2 Z212.

arron
25-01-2007, 01:26 AM
yeah,

apparently, the NSW distributor doesnt have any and cannot tell any dealers when they will be restocked with this S2-Z212's... so they told me that i'd be better off getting another tyre...

Lol, still no luck with any G3's or C.Drives (195/55/15) for under $150... best quote was $165 a piece...

jdm_kid
28-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Lol, still no luck with any G3's or C.Drives (195/55/15) for under $150... best quote was $165 a piece...

go to Kmart for G3s .. sure be under or close to $150.

what the prices for 205/40/16 these days ?

STTICH
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
seems like yoko C.drive is getting many :thumbsup:

any more comments on A.drive ppl? :)

would like to hear some comments on the sidewalls as well on both the tyres.. are they flat? chunky? (ie: flat= something like Bridgestanes G3)

X_X
02-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Heard AR01 is very nice, but sidewalls wears out very quick if u drive them real hard

chingaling
02-02-2007, 03:23 PM
anyone knows which other tires are same levels as AD07 in bridgstones.. RE 711 .. ? or RE 01

SLOWEGG
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Re-01.

ccibai
02-02-2007, 08:27 PM
yeah RE-01R

slowcar
04-02-2007, 04:53 PM
anyone know when RE01R is coming out in aus? or is it out already..

STTICH
05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
not alot of C.drive users?

anyone running 195/50/15 on these tyres? :)

aaronng
05-02-2007, 03:04 PM
not alot of C.drive users?

anyone running 195/50/15 on these tyres? :)

I'm running 195/60 R15. It's nice, comfy, quiet and grippy compared to other equivalent passenger tyres out there. Grippy in the wet too. But, when you start comparing to ultra high performance tyres, it can't compare for dry performance.

Aza
05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
go to Kmart for G3s .. sure be under or close to $150.

what the prices for 205/40/16 these days ?

i just got brand new 205/40/17 for 145$ a tyre they a falkren (or whatever), got them from tyre power (at beenleigh, dont go there...) mind u with the 205's i have alot of scrubbage factor on full lock now (cars on coil overs so its pretty low...)

sivic
05-02-2007, 04:20 PM
yeah,

apparently, the NSW distributor doesnt have any and cannot tell any dealers when they will be restocked with this S2-Z212's... so they told me that i'd be better off getting another tyre...

just read this. :(
was looking at getting some new tyres and getting these again. might give my local a call and see what they have to say about it. It's a hard tyre to beat for the price

civicem1
05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
can anyone comment on the yokohama ar-01's?

anexiole
05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately The S03 doesn't come in 205/45/16. For a 16" rim it only comes in 205/55 or 225/50.

so can the stock 16 inch rims fit 225/50/16??

bizee_1
10-02-2007, 06:07 AM
hi ppl,

am after opinions of having to choose between : [195/50/15]

Goodyear F1 Eagle GS-D3 $160ea
vs
Toyo Proxes T1-R $150ea
???

mpd076-chuck
10-02-2007, 08:38 AM
I have tried both in that size and would recommend the T1R. Main problem with F1 is that it screechs and squeals when going hard. The F1 feels a bit more precise and direct, but the T1R does feel a bit grippier.

G-Stick
10-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Goodyear F1 Eagle GS-D3 for $160ea??? ive got quoted 110 fitted and balanced.

this is at the tyre power in sunshine melb

ctn
10-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Goodyear F1 Eagle GS-D3 don't have much grip.
They have extremely soft sidewalls. They have alot of side to side movement. They are however very progressive when they loose grip.

bizee_1
11-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Goodyear F1 Eagle GS-D3 for $160ea??? ive got quoted 110 fitted and balanced.

this is at the tyre power in sunshine melb

well im in sydney, but that is a much better price.

i guess that's one of the good things about this thread. As every
tyre retailer has different prices, you at least can find out if you're
paying waaaay too much for a tyre, getting a good deal, or somewhere
inbetween.

thanks guys for the opinions. :thumbsup: appreciate it.
the tyres needing replacement, actually are T1R's. Have no qualms with them.

PaZzMaN-R
11-02-2007, 10:29 PM
what size where your tyres, as the size changes the price:)
also where are you getting you t1r's from as i want to get them and at 150 im stoked

STIGT
12-02-2007, 08:01 AM
yeah,

Hi Arron,

Try to call them, http://www.magwheel.com.au/

Look for costa or theo.. I am sure they can send some tyres up to nsw or get some for you with not extra charge.

Tell him u need Z212 same as S2.

Btw I just got a few sets of tyres from them for my mates....

hankooks = Z212.

225 40 17 $220
235 45 17 $215
215 45 17 $195

they quoted me around $210 each...

arron
13-02-2007, 04:03 AM
cheers mate,

but already got some new tyres on my car..
got G3's for a very good deal through a mate..

thanks for your help though...
hopefully others will use your input to good use!
:)

SLOWEGG
13-02-2007, 04:51 PM
I got quoted 220 for 15s for the goodyears! I used to have T1Rs and they were very good tyres. Grippy in dry and wet and they are very predictable. But you do need to keep the pressure up on these tyres.

shebangs
22-02-2007, 01:51 PM
205/45/16

What are everyone's recommendation for DC2?

X_X
22-02-2007, 08:52 PM
new S-drive of Yoki's is coming out in March, good reputation back in Asia!

free2d
24-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Can comment bout Yoko AD07 vs Falken new RT615?

Thx

crx51
24-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi guys, i just got a set of Michelin pilot preceda pp2's last night. Ive already given them a bit and driven in wet and dry. They are absolutely bloody brilliant. They are 195/50/15s and on my 89 crx. Ive driven on many good quality tyres but these are one of the very best without a doubt. They are incredibly quiet (i dead set couldnt hear them at any speed windows up or down over the wind noise and other noises). They have great big channels for awesome dispersion of water (and ive driven on f1 gsd3's which are the best wet weather tyres around) and they are very very sticky. I am glad i paid the money to go the michelins! Couldnt be happier!!!!!!

aaronng
24-02-2007, 03:24 PM
(and ive driven on f1 gsd3's which are the best wet weather tyres around)

GSD3's are not the worst wet tyre, but are not good either.....

crx51
24-02-2007, 06:33 PM
GSD3's are not the worst wet tyre, but are not good either.....

What would you rate above it? Just out of curiousity? Its just every review i have ever seen it has come out on top for wet slalom wet braking wet lap time every wet category its won. And thats against everything from sp9000 to pirelli p zero and michelin pilot sports etc

I wouldnt use the 15inch gsd3s as they are made in taiwan or something. The ones i was running were 225/45/18s on my mazda 6. In the wet they gripped as though it was dry?

I love a good tyre so if youve driven on a better wet weather tyre then let us know mate.
regards
scott

EGB18CT
25-02-2007, 11:42 AM
woot woot! i got my yoko cdrives for $92 each hehehe, but that cos its direct from factory from a family friend. does yoko have any semi slicks that are sold on the aus retail market???

STTICH
25-02-2007, 11:45 AM
woot woot! i got my yoko cdrives for $92 each hehehe, but that cos its direct from factory from a family friend.

wat size? tats cheap :thumbsup:

X_X
25-02-2007, 03:16 PM
dun thk they do retail SS, but u can get it thru some traders in this forum. Have a look the web advan.com to see their advan series tyres which are the top of the range of yokies

CvcResponse
27-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Hopefully i can get some help buried deep inside this thread.

I'm looking to get Yokohama tyres, on the official au site they have 7 listed for passenger cars. It isnt very clear but does each tyre come in different sizes? Like for small civics, then mid-sized cars up to family cars? I'm not very familiar with tyre sizes, but i do have an ek civic and looking at 16" x 6.5 rims. Does the web site list ALL tyres or only a select choice? Also how do you know which ones are low-profile?

What are semi-slicks? lol

kyobibi
27-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Toyo (Trampio) R888 semi slicks.
(Previous experience: Goodyear GSD3 (street tyre) and Kumho V700 (semi))
- $255-$260 for 195/55/15 from JDM Yard

First Glance:
Looking at it, it's a very sexy pattern.
First drive: OMG!
They stick like NO other road tyre. I have not yet found the limits (unsafe for public roads!!!) and I do not intend on doing so - the limits I have found in my car, so far, are scarey enough for me.
- Very predictable compared to goodyear GSD3 (hopeless tyre).

Daily Use?
They will definitely wear VERY quickly if this tyre will be used for daily driving. It is a very soft compound. It would probably expect probably 15,000km if you don't track it.

Another factor is the road noise. At 60km/h, it sounds like you're on the millennium train, it's a constant noise like as if you're running slightly flat tyres? Or is it just me? It does get annoying (solution? turn up the stereo :thumbsup:).
They don't kick up pebbles and crap as much as the Kumho's do.

Warming Up
It also seems like they don't need to be warmed up as much as other semi slicks would.
Other semis I have tried, I didn't feel as confident going around corners at higher speeds until I got some heat into them.
The R888's are always ready to go.

Wet Weather
It is excellent in the wet for a semi slick.
I have tried KUMHO Ecsta V700, forget driving on a rainy day.
In the wet, they are stickier than Goodyear GSD3's on a warm day.

EGB18CT
27-02-2007, 07:46 PM
sttich there 195/50/r15 c drives, thats the price before bob jane whoever gets them for, but its thru a family friend, just gotta try see if i can get some semi slicks too.

Spunkymonkey
28-02-2007, 09:10 PM
woot woot! i got my yoko cdrives for $92 each hehehe, but that cos its direct from factory from a family friend. does yoko have any semi slicks that are sold on the aus retail market???

A048 semi slick yoki advans

oh and my dunlop sp sport maxx still very happy with....nice response and the best grip in the wet I've had from a set of tyres for ages.

Felix
19-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Is $154 per tyre a good price for Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tyres? including fitting/balancing...

ps. this is for stock DC2 VTIR - 195/55R15

quangsta
19-03-2007, 11:55 PM
no...

got offered same tyres i think at $135 fitted and balance, if anything less, at bob jane t marts

im in melb though

vertex_s15
23-03-2007, 10:14 PM
ive used the advan ad07s- theyre awesome street tyres in the dry, very sticky....

also felt the toyo t1rs were good value for money as well

ive used falken fk451s , they good value money for tyres as well...

tyres i didnt like were nankangs lol

free2d
23-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Any experience with AD048 and Toyo R888? Which is better?

PaZzMaN-R
26-03-2007, 12:00 AM
currently using toyo t1r's on my dc2r, awesome improvment over my shitty falkens. i can go faster in the went on the toyos then i could in the dry on the falkens. they are great value for money but they have alot of roll. took me a while to find the right pressure to run them at to get the right balance i was after. im amazed by their wet weather performance tho.

Mr_will
06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
1. $150 (have seen them as low as $130)
2. Toyo Proxes T1-R 195/50/15
3. Excellent. When i first bought the car I had 14' dunlop le mans, which were absolute shite, although good as far as treadwear goes.

These tyres are excellent both in the wet and dry. The grip limit is very high, but the breakaway is still gradual so they arent scary.

Similar story in the wet, unless your punting pretty damn hard you wont find the limit of them. With brand new deep tread, at town speeds (60kmh) i was unable to make them aquaplane, but I wasnt going crazy.

Mugen_B16B
07-04-2007, 02:56 PM
i have c-drives on my car now 195/50 and my opinion is i think there better then g3's but thats just my own opinion

SLOWEGG
07-04-2007, 09:45 PM
So thats your opinion's opinion?

nigs
08-04-2007, 08:20 PM
HAHAHAHAH Rofle my Waffle.

T1R's on 36psi makes your car CRASH. My car is now just that little bit less JDM.
-_-;

90LAN
08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
im using 205/45/16 yoko c drives fantastic tyre in wet and dry
but not as good as the advan ad07's that i was using on my other set of rims!

EG5
08-04-2007, 09:29 PM
anyone tried Yokohama S drive ?

gelo
08-04-2007, 10:03 PM
HAHAHAHAH Rofle my Waffle.

T1R's on 36psi makes your car CRASH. My car is now just that little bit less JDM.
-_-;

why do you say that

.::F[L]Y::.
09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Any experience with AD048 and Toyo R888? Which is better?

We use Advan 048 for all our track car. Very goood once you get them to the right temperature. There more for race condition i.e 10-15 laps. I've heard that the Toyo RA1 are a very good tyre to short sprints i.e 2-5 laps. Havn't experience Toyo R888.

vtec-NA.th
09-04-2007, 09:54 PM
yoyo.. i kno nothin about tyres so before i get my new rims just wondering which tyres will be best for a honda jazz?

i'm planning to get 16 or 17 volk te37s (most likely 16's). which tyres will be suited for someone with a normal budget but still wants a nice ride/reasonable performance? :)

cheers!

SINISTR
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
hey all,

ive come to the point where im in need of some new Rubber for my 91 CRX.

riding on 17s, currently running a Falken Ziex 512 i think people will share my experience that those tyres are quiet ok in the dry but somewhat nasty in the wet.

So im looking at alternatives - for a good both dry/wet performance but reasonably priced tyre.

Ive called a couple places here in Perth and Maxxis MAZ1s come quiet recommended at $190 a tyre.
Ive checked the TempeTyres website and obtained a quite for Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 at $120 per corner (i believe this includes delivery).

So :

Maxxis MAZ1 or KUMHO ECSTA 712 or *any other brand under $200*

what do you guys recommend?

serpo
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Yokohama S Drive $180 a tyre

for details hit the site

http://www.yokohama.co.nz/s_drive.html

MiSloVic
20-04-2007, 05:14 PM
was previously on the german-made goodyear F1 gsd3. a fantastic tyre.

however, when i was shopping for tyres last month to replace the BS re040, I realised that german made ones are hard to come by, most of the stocks in OZ are from china and taiwan, with only a few sizes made locally.

I have read some bad reviews with china made gsd3, and since the dealers cannot gurantee my size will not be from china, i've decided to go for Falken fk452.

after a week of scrubbing in, the FK452s are really good, actually. the side walls are really stiff, and thus, rides firmer than the german F1 gsd3, and the BS RE040.
steering response: not as sharp as the RE040, but quieter and surprising, the stiff sidewall does not translate to a harsh ride.. it rides firm, but not harsh.
hadn't have much rain for the past week, thus can't comment on the wet grip, but dry grip is good. on par with the german-GSD3.

with more mileage on the tyres:
the FK452 seems very sensitive to the tyre pressure.. the sweet spot is ard 33-35psi. above this, it gets rather firm, and below this, well... the car seems like running on shot shocks. quite smooth, until the car hits the first road blemish and the car bounced around.
first class wet road handling. on par, if not better than the GSD3.

TRU32U
23-04-2007, 02:54 AM
il input my rubber experience
Falken 326 \ 329 Ziex
forget it its the worst worst tyre ive ever owned and driven, had it for 3 half 4 months, and say bye bye
good year vantura i think thats what its called, okay in the dry really pathetic in wet
good year f1 good in dry same goes with wet
toyo proxes R1 exellent in dry and wet and good tread wear took a while to break these ones
Bridgestone S02 they dont make them anymore but lasted a long time have yet to try out the SO3s
prelli pzero excellent grip on dry and wet same as the R1s lasted about the same amount of time as the R1s
same goes with continental contact sport 2

iversonruls
23-04-2007, 03:33 AM
juz a very noobie question
which 1 is more long lasting with normal city drives n occasionally some crazyy turnings

BS G3 or yoko c drives?

i-vtec
23-04-2007, 12:51 PM
has anyone tried the kumho ecsta spt ku 31 @190 ? looking to get them or toyo proxes 4 @160

EG5
23-04-2007, 08:58 PM
juz a very noobie question
which 1 is more long lasting with normal city drives n occasionally some crazyy turnings

BS G3 or yoko c drives?

Yokohama S drive

Hullabaloo
24-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Yokohama S drive

Hey Yonas, have you tried them yet? any chance of a quick review?

D4rk4n63l
24-04-2007, 01:13 PM
had my first experience on my new set of G3 today.. wet grip is phenomenal, its in par or slightly better than the GSD3 I've had before, but the goodyear has more flex to it than the G3. For about the same price, I'd go for the G3 any day now.. now its just a matter of thread wear. Anyone used these two before and comment on the wear?

iversonruls
24-04-2007, 07:52 PM
had my first experience on my new set of G3 today.. wet grip is phenomenal, its in par or slightly better than the GSD3 I've had before, but the goodyear has more flex to it than the G3. For about the same price, I'd go for the G3 any day now.. now its just a matter of thread wear. Anyone used these two before and comment on the wear?

on ur ES?
wat size??

EG5
24-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Yonas, have you tried them yet? any chance of a quick review?

for a review go to jtuned.com

D4rk4n63l
25-04-2007, 03:43 AM
on ur ES?
wat size??

yes, 195/50/15...

andiiso
25-04-2007, 04:33 AM
i need new tyres and ive been reading as much as i can through this thread and ive come across 3 types that interest me, would anyone be able to give me a "user" review and comparison and also average price(or if they come in the size or not) for 205/50/15 for :

"The New Pilot Preceda pp2"

"Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212"

"Toyo Proxes T1-R"

and for these three, if anyone has any advice on any tyre of the same level thats more worth its price or whatever the reason or the same brand but different tyre that could give same performance with a cheaper price etc please advise.

thanks

Hans Bond
26-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I heard that the pilot preceda is good at all wet/dry condition, very quiet tyres too..

but some says hankook ventus R-S2 is the best performance tyres of all

not sure about Toyo though

Mr_will
26-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I heard that the pilot preceda is good at all wet/dry condition, very quiet tyres too..

but some says hankook ventus R-S2 is the best performance tyres of all

not sure about Toyo though

toyo t1r > pilot preceda.

i had preceda's on first, and now have t1'rs, and the difference is significant, but more so in the wet. the t1r's are still very quiet but seem much more resistant to aquaplaning than the precedas

andiiso
26-04-2007, 01:09 PM
did u have the preceda sport ? the first version? or the newer variant, pp2. because im on the same boat as u if u talkin about the first variant of preceda sport. toyo i would say is better then that one, but not so sure about the pp2 second variant of the preceda :

http://www.michelin.com.au/tyres/passengerCar.asp

(pilot sport, or preceda pp2) im asking about the pp2, because i think sport only come in 215+. thanks for good input guys

Bludger
26-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I've ad both these tyres.

Yoko es100 195/55/15
Toyo T1R 205/45/16

With the yoko's, they were a bit more worn than the brand new toyo's.
still i think the yoko's had more bite in both wet and dry than the toyo's

DreadAngel
26-04-2007, 04:42 PM
for a review go to jtuned.com

Link to Review (http://www.jtuned.com/content/templates/insider.aspx?articleid=604&zoneid=31)

Didn't really mention anything about lifespan but everything else looks the part :D Next tires for me haha

Hans Bond
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
what about hankook ventus R-S2? Are they quiet too? better than toyo?

arron
03-05-2007, 03:07 AM
In regards to the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212, these tyres are very hard to come by in the Sydney Metro, so I sent an email to Hankook Tyres. Hopefully they will stock these like crazy here so I can see what the fuss is about..

ps. Will post their reply pending their approval of it being posted on forums.

Hans Bond
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
really? i can get them easily in melbourne.. try mooney ponds tyres on alexander road

andiiso
03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
really? i called up a few tyre places and they all said they havent got them in stock yet, they said they will be comin in 3months later or something, so i cut my choices down to the Michelin pp2 and the toyo T1R, also, the hankook Rs2 and considered Slicks by hankook, but i dunno why, it dun look slick to me at all.

btw, most tyre places recommended me the michelin pp2 over the toyo t1r, because its only about maximum of $50-$60 difference and performance wise, toyo is good but after they wear down halfway compared to michelin wearing down halfway the michelin will keep its grip up longer then the toyo, same things i have heard from a few tyre places, some in which my friend has introduced me to.

Rasputin
04-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I've been reading through this thread and a big review on caranddriver.com and so far in my head it looks like the Goodyear Eagle gs-d3's and the Toyo t1r's are pretty evenly matched.

I'm looking for 205/40 r17's and less than or equal to $1000. Just need something that has plenty of grip and loses grip fairly progressively. (i.e. if i start to lose grip in the wet I want to be able to back off and recover, instead of sliding for too long), preference for decent tread wear (since I do around 30,000kms a year)

Anyone who has had both of these tyres and can recommend which might be more suited to me? Or has had one of these and would recommend another tyre instead.
Looking for info from someone who had the Goodyears made in Germany etc as I'm pretty sure the 17s will be coming from the same place, and not taiwan or whatever.
Thanks guys.

Catcha
05-05-2007, 07:31 PM
i'm thinking to go for yokohma C drives as i think its well a decent brand. Had A539 back then and they were pretty good.....anyone comment on them for a Jazz 185/55/15

SuperDave
06-05-2007, 09:13 AM
My C.Drives have lasted quite well. I have about 30,000km on them now and 6 sprint days and numerous other racing stuff. They hold up well to cornering since the shoulders aren't chewed out like my old tyres. I'll be going to S.Drives next, so I will have lap time proof of the difference in a few months.

I'm also told that the A.Drive R1 is a better tyre, grip and price wise, then the C.Drive. Anyone compared the two?

rogue_mc
07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Apparently the R1's are more aggressive with better grip, but noisier. The C.Drives are much quieter.

QuintessentiaLs
07-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi I'm getting new tyres for my JAZZ for STREET use this Sat and right now I'm tossing up between Toyo Proxes 4 $115 a tyre or Good Year Eagle F1 $129 a tyre... What do you guys recommend??? or another brand??? I'm after 195/50/15

T-onedc2
07-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I've ad both these tyres.

Yoko es100 195/55/15
Toyo T1R 205/45/16

With the yoko's, they were a bit more worn than the brand new toyo's.
still i think the yoko's had more bite in both wet and dry than the toyo's
I've had the same, Toyo came with the car & I've had the Yoko's for a while now and they're very good all round but no longer available in 15in.

aaronng
07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm also told that the A.Drive R1 is a better tyre, grip and price wise, then the C.Drive. Anyone compared the two?

Yes, because C.Drive was designed to be a passenger car tyre with emphasis on noise reduction and wet-grip safety. But since it was meant to replace A539, Yoko made the C.Drive grip well in the dry as well.

A.Drive R1 on the other hand was designed as a performance car tyre, so it will be better in terms of grip and handling response (stiffer sidewalls).

doosra
13-05-2007, 12:05 PM
hey guys..
i was wondering whether you guys have tried the Kumho ku23?
i went to get new tyres today, and was suppose to get Kumho ku31 225/40/18 which i heard is really good for $150 each.. but they didn't have any so i ended up getting kumho ku23 225/40/18 for $130 each..

There's not much info on these tyres.. i'm a novice to cars.. just wondering if anyone has feedback on then.. ?

I find them really smooth to drive in..

siir
15-05-2007, 12:28 PM
does any body know what is the tire pressure for
kumho ecsta ku31 15/50/195
coz the max psi is 51psi

so i was wondering what is the suitable tire pressure for daily use?
thxx

Bludger
15-05-2007, 09:57 PM
does any body know what is the tire pressure for
kumho ecsta ku31 15/50/195
coz the max psi is 51psi

so i was wondering what is the suitable tire pressure for daily use?
thxxcheck your tyre placard, but i think normal pressure for that size is 30 - 35psi

Moya
16-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Toyo T1R's, 195/55/R15. Really good tyre. I think it's actually beyond the limits of my crappy stock DC2 suspension.

siir
16-05-2007, 03:54 PM
check your tyre placard, but i think normal pressure for that size is 30 - 35psi

wut is tire placard??
anyways teh tire says max 51 psi.. thx..
i've been filling 35-36psi atm

although 37 feels hard.thx

civic_mods
16-05-2007, 11:48 PM
anyone tried re01r yet? apparently bridgestone australia motorsport stock them. 195/55/r15 ard $280 EACH

EG30
18-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Look out for the new supertyre from Bridgestone in the coming months, the Adrenalin Re001 which replaces the S03. Not officially listed in many brigestone sites yet apart from the russian site. Saw them at a transport depot today about to be loaded onto a bridgestone truck for a dealers launch at a track next week.

Not sure what size theys would bring in, but I suspect they won't bring in the smaller sizes in 15 and 16" ( and have the RE01R cater for smaller sizes ) so most likely 17" and up.

Bought a set of new Yokohama S drive for our DC2R in 195/55R15, will let you guys know how I go with these after bedding them in and giving them a hiding.

Bludger
19-05-2007, 01:39 AM
wut is tire placard??
anyways teh tire says max 51 psi.. thx..
i've been filling 35-36psi atm

although 37 feels hard.thx

every car had a tyre placard, usually around the doors. it has the recomended tyre pressures

Bludger
19-05-2007, 01:40 AM
anyone tried re01r yet? apparently bridgestone australia motorsport stock them. 195/55/r15 ard $280 EACH

Yonas had a set selling last year, perfect size for my rims, but i didn't have the money to buy it back then, or i would have!!

gelo
19-05-2007, 09:43 AM
ad07> re01r
according to tire rack testing
they performed better in lap times and braking
however re01r got more points in the comfort areas
they questioned the R stands for revolution
not racing

iversonruls
23-05-2007, 09:01 PM
any tyres recommendation for size 205/45 17?
budget ard 200 each

siir
24-05-2007, 11:01 AM
every car had a tyre placard, usually around the doors. it has the recomended tyre pressures

dude when i bought the car not long ago.. there is no tyre placard.. myb must have come off?!?
and also since the stock tire is 15/60/175 shouldnt the tire pressure change since i replace it to 15/50/195??

iversonruls
24-05-2007, 07:48 PM
anyone tried the pirelli dragon?

euro77
25-05-2007, 06:51 PM
euroaccord13 had pirelli dragon, try asking him/PM him. As far as I know, he's very happy with it. got a lot of grip and doesn't wear as fast as the others.

ROCKET
26-05-2007, 04:08 PM
im after good performance tyres for wet and dry
done my research and not sure which to go for
size is 195/50 R15

Toyo T1R $150

or

Yoko S-drive $160

wat u guys think ?

T-onedc2
26-05-2007, 06:44 PM
^^^Personally I'm looking towards S. Drive next time^^^

Bludger
26-05-2007, 07:13 PM
dude when i bought the car not long ago.. there is no tyre placard.. myb must have come off?!?
and also since the stock tire is 15/60/175 shouldnt the tire pressure change since i replace it to 15/50/195??

your car must be resprayed or it fell off.
don't quote me, but i heard that the lower profile tyre, the more pressure you need

SLOWEGG
26-05-2007, 07:14 PM
im after good performance tyres for wet and dry
done my research and not sure which to go for
size is 195/50 R15

Toyo T1R $150

or

Yoko S-drive $160

wat u guys think ?

I would go with T1R. I reckon they are the best for their price. Im tried out G3s and cdrives which is near the toyo's price but their performance is not up to the T1R. And their tire wear is really good also. Will be switching back to them after my tyres run out.

gelo
26-05-2007, 11:15 PM
ive had g3 and t1r
and i reckon t1r has an even softer sidewall than g3 and it worn out quicker than my g3

ROCKET
27-05-2007, 11:06 AM
which 1 is better in d wet ?

gelo
27-05-2007, 12:50 PM
id say t1r's are slightly better in wet
but not significantly
if u want wet performance
eagle f1 gsd3

does anyone know if the re001 will come in 15's
they are pretty much half a re01

ROCKET
27-05-2007, 03:04 PM
i think im leaning towards S-drive yoko's

revNhevN
27-05-2007, 06:42 PM
i think im leaning towards S-drive yoko's
same here. ive been quoted $180 each for 195/55/15. Same price as michelin pilot preceda 2's.

-[NoS]-
27-05-2007, 07:16 PM
i need tyres for rims that im getting from "on the run motorsport"
rims are 17" X 7.5" 5zigen gn+

i was thinking falkens but i dunno,

my budget is about 200-250 per tyre

any recommendation will be helpfull

civic_mods
27-05-2007, 08:01 PM
id say t1r's are slightly better in wet
but not significantly
if u want wet performance
eagle f1 gsd3

does anyone know if the re001 will come in 15's
they are pretty much half a re01

yeap.. http://www.potenza-adrenalin.com/
n from the site it said some sizes will b made in south australia while some in jap...

EG30
28-05-2007, 06:33 AM
I'll be enquiring with bridgestone shops to see if think bridgestone aust would bring in the RE001 in smaller sizes.

I'll definately get a set of 195/50R15 for my EG if they are aval, otherwise I'll get a set of S drives as they seem very good so far in our DC2R.

The RE001 has the outer tread blocks similar to the RE01 and the inner blocks similar to the RE070 as on the WRX STi except less aggressive. It's also assymetrical so you won't be able to demount and swap from side to side to even out the camber wear on them.

icandywoo
28-05-2007, 09:31 AM
where have you guys been getting your quotes for your tyres.
In 19 225/35 So far best price I got for the
Good Year Eagle F1 G3-D3 was like $550
Yokohama S-Drives were like $450
Probably go the s-drives to save a little dosh.

MiSloVic
28-05-2007, 01:58 PM
-;1186056']i need tyres for rims that im getting from "on the run motorsport"
rims are 17" X 7.5" 5zigen gn+

i was thinking falkens but i dunno,

my budget is about 200-250 per tyre

any recommendation will be helpfull

other than comfort, the falken 452 is every bit as good as the goodyear f1 gsd3.

and for the 17" size, it is about $100/tyre lesser than gsd3.
worth the money.

JHMDA9
28-05-2007, 06:13 PM
where have you guys been getting your quotes for your tyres.
In 19 225/35 So far best price I got for the
Good Year Eagle F1 G3-D3 was like $550
Yokohama S-Drives were like $450
Probably go the s-drives to save a little dosh.

Where did you get those quotes from?

EG30
28-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Just got email confirmations about the availability of Re001 from Bridgestone Aust. The 195/50R15 size is avail! Didn't ask about the other sizes.

I'll get a set in the next few weeks and let you guys know how I go with them.

civic_mods
28-05-2007, 09:43 PM
did u ask bout the price though? yeah they got size ranging from 15 up to 18.

EG30
29-05-2007, 01:49 AM
did u ask bout the price though? yeah they got size ranging from 15 up to 18.

I'll find out the price from a retailer soon. Knowing bridgestone their price would be pretty fair so I'd say similar price to Yokohama S drives give or take $10-15 so around $160-180 per tyre at a non bunky tyre outlet.

Will advise once I find out in the next few days.

-[NoS]-
29-05-2007, 01:02 PM
other than comfort, the falken 452 is every bit as good as the goodyear f1 gsd3.

and for the 17" size, it is about $100/tyre lesser than gsd3.
worth the money.

thanx buddy
:]

EG30
01-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Just ordered my set of RE001 in 195/50R15 for $144 each, and that's with a Bob Jane shop in Perth.

gelo
01-06-2007, 11:56 PM
so they have them in yet?
or u have to wait

EG30
02-06-2007, 04:55 AM
so they have them in yet?
or u have to wait

They have my size in stock, so I'm hoping to get them fitted early next week.

revNhevN
02-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Just ordered my set of RE001 in 195/50R15 for $144 each, and that's with a Bob Jane shop in Perth.
Bridgestone website has them listed for $129 for 195/50/15

ROCKET
02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Bridgestone website has them listed for $129 for 195/50/15

wats d link to where u c this ?

revNhevN
02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
wats d link to where u c this ?
http://www.btc.net.au/StockStack2007/1290_SSS_Catalogue_Metro.pdf
On Page 3

civic_mods
02-06-2007, 02:44 PM
They have my size in stock, so I'm hoping to get them fitted early next week.
remember to give us a review after u hv it fitted :cool:

SLOWEGG
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
How good are the RE001? Compared to G3s, T1R, cdrives etc..

civic_mods
02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
^^ i guess we will hv to wait for someone to try it.. but apparently re001 gonna replace gIII n s03 - tat's y wat they said in their website.

SLOWEGG
03-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Ooh k.. I just saw the tread patterns. Looks like the C.Drive desigen, split different groove design. Outside half looks like their RE01R..

EG30
03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
http://www.btc.net.au/StockStack2007/1290_SSS_Catalogue_Metro.pdf
On Page 3

Great find revNhevN! Thanks for the pdf.

I might have to cancel my order with Bob Jane if they won't reduce the price closer to $129.

The BTCs in Perth give you an additional $5 a tyre discount if you are a member of the RAC here.

$129 is incredibly cheap for a 195/50R15, normally that won't even get you the premium 185/60R14 such as the C drive. Even the Firehawk wide ovals would retail for more than that at the BTCs.

Obviously Bridgestone is very aggressive with the Adrenalin launch and they intend to dominate the market with head office support in Japan ( being wholly owned by Bridgestone Japan as of May 07 might have something to do with that ). They are basically selling a top line max performance tyres at similar or cheaper prices than 2nd tier brands. That would give the other chains something to think about; esp the best prices of Bridgestone tyres are mostly found at own tyre centres.

They even sponsored the Autosalon S15 purposely built monster drift car, which is quite unprecedented for them to get in touch with the aftermarket tuner market here in Au. Previously they only got involved in motorpsort at national touring cars level but they now see a future in selling lots of tyres to the youth market.

It remains to be seen if they would keep the price the same or jack the prices up once there is enough market penetration. When the BF goodrich's then new range of G force sport tyres were new I paid $129 for the 195/50/15 size and now they are $150 from the same Bob Jane shop.

EG30
03-06-2007, 01:03 AM
remember to give us a review after u hv it fitted :cool:

How good are the RE001? Compared to G3s, T1R, cdrives etc..

The RE001 would be in the same league as the Yokohmama S drive instead of the C drive, judging by the heavily treaded pattern and product placement in their range. BRG aust say the RE001 replaces the G3 and the S03 which would seem logical for them to say; but I would say the re001 is more mass market than the $$$ S03 and is the sucessor of the RE711>RE01>RE01R line which BRG Aust never brought them in the country and cover the range of sizes with G3 and S03 previously. Luxury high performace cars such as the AMG now specify the RE050/A tyres as OE for their current cars as they are quieter than the S03 and has a more progressive breakaway.

Will do a review for sure civic_mods once I have both the RE001 and S Drive scuffed in on my EG and DC2R respectively and driven over a variety of conditions.

revNhevN
03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
like to see a comparison b/w the re001 and the s-drive. my es100/DNA's will be dead soon.

ROCKET
06-06-2007, 02:13 AM
hey guys just bought the Bridgstone potenza RE001 195 50 r15
and so far very happy with them
will keep uz updated

aaronng
06-06-2007, 02:34 AM
What are the treadwear, traction and temperature ratings printed on the sidewall for the RE001 (and S.drive if anyone has them)?

gambate
06-06-2007, 02:38 AM
hey guys just bought the Bridgstone potenza RE001 195 50 r15
and so far very happy with them
will keep uz updated

made in australia or japan?

Hullabaloo
06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Yokohama S.Drive : TWR 300, Traction AA, Temperature A
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Yokohama&tiremodel=S.Drive

spoke to someone from a bridgestone tyre center. keeping in mind that he may be biased, but he said he went on a drive day at Mallala last week and tested the RE001's and the S.Drives. He thinks the RE001's held better in the slaloms. He didn't know the UTQG but he said that they're a harder compound, aimed at G3 level of wear.

in 215/45/17 I've had 3 quotes ranging from $250 - $295 from 3 different Bridgestone Tyre Centres.

ROCKET
06-06-2007, 04:50 PM
made in australia or japan?

i think they are australian but how do u check ?

euro77
06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
i think they are australian but how do u check ?

on the tyre wall shoud mention made in which country. sometimes it's small writing.

supernatural
07-06-2007, 05:18 PM
my re001s are made in japan... :)

civic_mods
07-06-2007, 05:57 PM
^^ wat size?

EG30
07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Just got my re001 in 195/50R15 fitted yesterday, got it from Bob Jane for $129 afterall as they do price matching ( a big come down from $144 b4, and they reckon there is no profit in tyres! ).

They are made in Japan. I think the Aust made ones would be in sizes for the commodores esp the VE range where the sizes are a bit odd by world standards and hence the local manufacturing of such sizes.

Will give some feedback on them as well as the S drive once we have done 2-3 tanks worth of fuel on them.

chingaling
07-06-2007, 07:09 PM
so comparing to the potenza G3 .. is it similar gripping style ? or re 001 is better ? because G3 for 15's are around 130.. and it says re 001 are replacing G3's ... correct me if im worng thank you

EG30
07-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Still too new to tell as tyres aren't worn it yet. At the moment the steering is very light and turn in is vague. I'll be surprised if the re001 has a style that is much different to the G3. I have had different sets of Potenzas in diff sets starting from the RE71 days, then the S01 ( now defunct Expedia series instead of the Potenzas), S02, RE710, RE711, RE050 and now the RE001 and they have a common trait of good preditable turn in though never the sharpest in the business, sidewall nice and strong laterally ( helps a lot when you have a narrowish rim with a wide tyre ) but never too rigid and of course good grip in all conditions. Most importanly to me is the linear drop off of grip over time and noise wise they were all pretty good when new and gradually gets a bit worse as they tyre wears. They might not be as comfortable and quiet as a set of Michelins but usually far bit cheaper and more absolute grip.

The G3 has a lot of tread lateral flex at full tread depth which dimishes as the tread wears down and has a distinct tread clatter noise. The RE001 is more closely related to the RE01/R model ( which was never offically brought into the country by bridgestone Aust ) than the G3 so if you are happy with G3 you'll be very very happy with the re001; esp when they are selling the re001 at G3 prices!

chingaling
07-06-2007, 10:53 PM
dont you worry i will get a pair at the rear.. and ad07 at the front see how it goes

gelo
08-06-2007, 10:16 AM
i actually used to run ad07 at the front with g3 at the back with rear damper set stiffer and the balance felt great with good turn in feel

fishman
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
if you want full sick performance, Nankang NS Sports II is the go.

chingaling
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
atm i got g3 at the back ... but its worning out.. wanna try new re001 .. but i think it work out great

ROCKET
09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
i have to say that the RE001 holds up very well in wet weather (very impressed). and wen i get a chance i will write down wat is says on the sidewall of d tyre and post it up.

SLOWEGG
10-06-2007, 06:16 PM
How much did you pay ROCKET? size? Planning to get some this week.

ROCKET
11-06-2007, 02:07 AM
guys mine are made in japan and i paid $129 for each tyre fitted and balanced
size 195 50 r15

SLOWEGG
11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Sweet, my friends and i should be getting a few sets this week. Was originally going to stick with T1R but these seems to be a very good price.

EG30
12-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Done about 300Kms so far on my Re001 ( 195/50R15 ) now, so far so very very good. It's wearing in very nicely and feels like not far off its max grip potential. I've done about the same about of Kms on the S drive on the DC2R and that set of tyres are still skittish around corners and you can still see the tyre tread pimples are still intact. More on the S drives on another post.

Compared to my prev set of BF Goodrich G Force sport which I have been very happy with, the on centre feel is already firmer and more postive, and the lateral grip as you turn in builds up sooner and in a more linear fashion. Reminds me of the Yokohama AVS 161 I had some 13 years ago in terms of turn in feel. As you could see in the pic below, the RE001 is a lot more radical then the G force sport ( tyre only without wheel mounted thus looks fatter )with its asymmetrical tread pattern which must be one of the 1st of such designs from Bridgestone's general road tyre range ( the RE55s and the RE070are asymmetrical as well ).

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/2482/img4678cr0.th.jpg (http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4678cr0.jpg)

These tyres however aren't directional so they make one tyre to be fitted on the left and right hand side of the tyre like the old Yokohama A008s and AVSs with "outside" and "inside" printed on the sidewalls. So when you look at both left and right tyres front/rear on the outer tread patterns aren't mirror image of each other ie on one side the tread flicks down and flicks up on the other. I'm sure this won't hamper its performance, just a matter of different aesthetics.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/2248/img46812wf3.th.jpg (http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img46812wf3.jpg)

On the downside this tyre is noisier than the the G force sport, esp around 70-80Km/h range where you get noticeable tyre rumble and when you slow down under brakes from 60Km/h to 20Km/h where it howls. I'm suspecting the inner tread/vertical grooves to be the culprit. No where near as bad as say the old Goodyear Eagle F1 at this stage, the noise sounds more like the Continental CSC2 at half tread depth.

Haven't driven in the wet as yet.

If this tyre sells for close to $200 like the highly refined Michelin Precedas I would say there would be other tyres that are pretty close in performance for $50 a tyre less.....But for $129 on special at the moment it has to be the bargain of the year! Let's not forget in the same Bridgestone tyre centre catalogue they are selling the bunky supercats in 205/65R15 for Falcons and Commodores for $99.

civic_mods
12-06-2007, 09:36 PM
^ thanks for the review. i guess i would head down to btc soon to check out prices on 195/55/r15. cheers

euro77
17-06-2007, 04:34 PM
From what I learnt from my friends who are seasoned trackers, you're better off with bridgestone and yokohama semi-slicks compared to toyo semi-slicks.

arron
18-06-2007, 01:17 AM
From what I learnt from my friends who are seasoned trackers, you're better off with bridgestone and yokohama semi-slicks compared to toyo semi-slicks.

Really? I have seen so many people set their best lap times on Toyo R888's though... or it that because maybe the Toyo R888 are a bang for buck rather than outright better performance?

For that matter, how would the Kumho v700's rate against the R888... Heard the V700 were a real bang-for-buck semi

Hans Bond
18-06-2007, 08:39 AM
What about the firestone tyres? are they better than adrenaline re001?

^ thanks for the review. i guess i would head down to btc soon to check out prices on 195/55/r15. cheers

civic_mods
18-06-2007, 04:46 PM
well tried firestone Firehawk - which is their so called performance tyre, in dry they r all right but wet.. lol crap. so i think u r better off with re001 with the promotion..

What about the firestone tyres? are they better than adrenaline re001?

Hans Bond
18-06-2007, 06:26 PM
yep just asked a quote for the re001, 205/50R16, they give me price $205 each price compared to the firestone firehawk tz100 which only cost u $156 each

edw-R
18-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I am using Yokohama ADVAN AD07 215/45/17 on my Accord. Very good performance on both Wet and Dry.

euro77
18-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Really? I have seen so many people set their best lap times on Toyo R888's though... or it that because maybe the Toyo R888 are a bang for buck rather than outright better performance?

For that matter, how would the Kumho v700's rate against the R888... Heard the V700 were a real bang-for-buck semi

I'm no expert on slicks or semi-slicks, like I said, it's what I learnt from my friends.

Have those people used bridgestone/yokohama and toyo, and got the best time with Toyo? If yes, than obviously my friends were wrong (or for some reason, those tyres makes them more confident or something).

I guess the tyre's softness had something to do with it as well (if I remember correctly, bridgestone & yokohama wears faster than toyo), so maybe the softer it is, the more grip?

arron
18-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm no expert on slicks or semi-slicks, like I said, it's what I learnt from my friends.

Have those people used bridgestone/yokohama and toyo, and got the best time with Toyo? If yes, than obviously my friends were wrong (or for some reason, those tyres makes them more confident or something).

I guess the tyre's softness had something to do with it as well (if I remember correctly, bridgestone & yokohama wears faster than toyo), so maybe the softer it is, the more grip?

no no, im not questioning your judgement or even your opinion for that matter.. i just haven't seen too many other brands of semi slick on some laptime charts.. a majority were toyo's.. that's why i naturally assumed that they were better.. but im probably wrong.. if the bridgestones and yoko's wear faster, it is quite likely that they are probably softer and grip better :thumbsup:

JHMDA9
19-06-2007, 05:14 PM
eyy

have u people tried the r888 semi sliks, they are legal on australian roads,try

taleb tyres in sydney, they import the tyres themselves and a veryygood priceee

www.talebtyres.com.au

cheers

R888 U CAN NEVER GO WRONG !!!

best retailer in sydney
www.talebtyres.com.au

Oh I get it now, cheap advertising!!! :p

EDIT: any opinions on the S drives those of you who have been trying them out?

supersamEK
19-06-2007, 06:06 PM
checked up about the R888 with taleb tyres. they only got R881's left.
these are discontinued stock according to another thread.
any1 use old semi's? does it really make much difference to a backyard racer or is just a fussy thing to not use old slicks?

EG30
19-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh I get it now, cheap advertising!!! :p

EDIT: any opinions on the S drives those of you who have been trying them out?

yeah got the S drives on my dc2r in 195/55R15. Harder compound than the re001 on my EG, and takes a bit of warming up before giving their best but quieter than the re001. Only done 400kms on them so this is only my 1st impressions.

EG5
19-06-2007, 10:02 PM
any1 use old semi's? does it really make much difference to a backyard racer or is just a fussy thing to not use old slicks?

R881 is very old tyres. at least they are popular around 4 years ago

EG30
19-06-2007, 10:04 PM

All depends how much cheaper is the used/old stock semi slick tyres and how important minimum lap time is to you.

If some privateer or a shop is flogging off some old stock that has beenonly used once with much of its tread remaining or sitting on the shelf respectively and still wants 80+% of the price of a new new set then I would say pay the extra and get something as fresh as possible. Also bear in mind if you buy from a privateer you still have to pay say $15-20 for them to be fitted and balanced.

On the other hand if you get a used set for very little and still last you a few track days and have enormous fun and experience grip levels not possible even with high performance road tyres.

People often get very concerned about the manufacture date of the tyre, but they should be aware of the number of heat cycles the competition tyres had, and also the conditions they were stored as well. Ozone ages rubber quickly and constant exposure to sunlight hardens the tyre as well. On my tyres on my old BMW racecar I keep my wheels/tyres set in a stack and put a wheelie bin rubbish bag over it to keep the sunlight out and store them in a garage that doesn't get too hot ( so yeah ideally an underground cellar would be great ). I only put them on at an event and use old street tyres leftovers from my other cars as transport tyres so I don't wear them out/pick up punctures on the way to an event.

My current set of RE540s in 215/50R15 are close to 4 years old now with about 45% tread left and still nice and grippy once warmed and scuffed up after 2-3 laps and the ultimate laptime is only a tenth or two per 1 min more so in my case plenty good enough for trackday, sprints and tuning days. If that's the margin between winning or losing your class in a competition event then yeah fork out and get a new set.

So to answer your question, it doesn't matter to the backyard racer. Just go out there and whack something on, anything.... and have some fun!

loco_corolla
19-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok this thread is way too massive, i'm wondering if anyone can give me a straight answer on what tyres u would recommend.

Tyres i'm looking at are 205/50/15 and i'm looking at using them only for track and drag as i use my 17's daily. I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts on them coz i won't use them much so basically a tyre that will do the job ok for the lowest price possible, preferably under $125 a tyre.

I just looking for normal tyres, i would keep the tyres i got on there but they are in terrible condition, two are like 5 years old and the other 2 are bold as causing me to have little grip last track event, so new tyres would definantly be beneficial.

supersamEK
19-06-2007, 10:19 PM
So to answer your question, it doesn't matter to the backyard racer. Just go out there and whack something on, anything.... and have some fun!

yay!! too right..its about fun..the cheaper the better. ppl should use this attitude more!

gelo
21-06-2007, 11:55 PM
did anyone get a price for re001 fr 195/55 r15

aaronng
22-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Tyres i'm looking at are 205/50/15 and i'm looking at using them only for track and drag as i use my 17's daily. I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts on them coz i won't use them much so basically a tyre that will do the job ok for the lowest price possible, preferably under $125 a tyre.

If you want tyres for track, then they have to be grippy. And you aren't going to find something track-grippy at $125. Considered 2nd hand semi-slicks?

loco_corolla
22-06-2007, 12:37 AM
yeh i know that and i said im not looking for circuit or special tyres, just normal road tyres that are grippy. You know how some normal road tyres are just bad in the rain but good in dry and some are the opposite, some are just all bad and some are all good.

Like the nankang's i bought for my 17's are an awesome tyre, they grip very well in the dry and wet, i used to easily rip up the tyres in 1st now it's not so easy and it's cause of the tyres, wet had improved heaps too as it is very hard for it to spin in 2nd and 3rd wont spin at all like it used to. That's going from tornado's to nankang's, a massive difference and they cost me $140ea.

That's why i'm asking here for just normal street tyres that would be like my nankangs but in that size cause my tyre is unavailable in that size :(

aaronng
22-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Like the nankang's i bought for my 17's are an awesome tyre, they grip very well in the dry and wet, i used to easily rip up the tyres in 1st now it's not so easy and it's cause of the tyres, wet had improved heaps too as it is very hard for it to spin in 2nd and 3rd wont spin at all like it used to. That's going from tornado's to nankang's, a massive difference and they cost me $140ea.

That's why i'm asking here for just normal street tyres that would be like my nankangs but in that size cause my tyre is unavailable in that size :(
If you are happy with the Nankangs, then most of the recommendations in this thread should exceed the Nankangs.

Hans Bond
22-06-2007, 08:42 AM
if you have to choose between toyo t1r and bridgestone adrenaline re001 for the same price (say $200 each), which one do you choose and why?

barefootbonzai
22-06-2007, 09:54 AM
EG30 you got any side pics of your tyres mounted? I just wanna see what they look like mounted. Cause these days it's all about looks yo!

Perry
22-06-2007, 10:36 AM
if you have to choose between toyo t1r and bridgestone adrenaline re001 for the same price (say $200 each), which one do you choose and why?

wooow $200 per corner I might as well buy semis

civic_mods
22-06-2007, 11:29 AM
^^ he didn't mention wat size though :P

gelo
22-06-2007, 12:04 PM
in case anyone wants to know
195/55 r15 re001 are 160

ROCKET
22-06-2007, 07:25 PM
yeh i know that and i said im not looking for circuit or special tyres, just normal road tyres that are grippy. You know how some normal road tyres are just bad in the rain but good in dry and some are the opposite, some are just all bad and some are all good.

mate i recommend the re001 @ $129 for 195 50 R15 if u hav nrma roadside u can get $5 off each tyre:thumbsup:
the 205 50 R15 is less common tyre size therefor more expensive and some don't even make that size

EG30
22-06-2007, 09:35 PM
with almost all tyre brands, once the price of a 205/50R15 is significantly more than a 195/50R15 of the same tread pattern. They blame the pricing to economies of scale etc etc, I say that's the point where the 205/50R15 size belongs to bigger and more expensive cars ( and heavier cars with a higher load rating the 195 doesn't meet ) thus they figure they can slug you for it.

I got a price from Bob Jane for the re001 in 205/50R15 ( for a E30 3 series )and it's $180, so even at a cheaper retailer ( not hard to find someone cheaper than Bob Jane if you ring around ) it would still be $150-160 or so. The fact that the 205 isn't on specials and the 195 is exaggerate the difference even more.

I'm really impressed by my re001 in 195/50R15, it would provide easily more grip than a middle of the road 205/50R15 tyre and a lot more than a bunky one. Just looking at the tread pattern you could see it has more land to sea ratio than the average high performance tyre as per my prev post with pic.

Hans Bond
26-06-2007, 11:29 PM
yep, if the size is 205/50R16, and u got the same price for both tyres (Toyo T1R and Bridgestone Adrenaline re001), which one do you choose and why?

^^ he didn't mention wat size though :P

Mrrevolution
01-07-2007, 02:08 AM
you can buy the 205/55r16 Potenza RE001 for $195.
I think the Toyos are $275 for 16inch, anyone confirm this ?

Best value for money is the bridgestone in my opinion.

SLOWEGG
01-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Go for the bridgestone RE001. My friend just got a set and does not wheel spin at all compared to the Toyo T1R.