PDA

View Full Version : My Car Doesn't Stop :( Need better brakes

Beastcivic
30-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know what I can do to my 2000 EK Civic Brakes to make it stop better, without spending billions?

The reason is, I come onto boost last night then I had to stop suddenly and the car did not stop at all, like it did not want to stop. I had too stop because in a matter of seconds, which really scares me. I have standard rotors with EBC Greenstuff pads.

Cheers

CTR Coupe Edit
**Guys don’t talk about illegal acts cops read forums too**

bungsai
30-03-2006, 11:50 AM
you have a turbo civic and you didnt upgrade the brakes?

how much money do you want to spend?

CTR Coupe EDIT
**refer to first post**

|N|
30-03-2006, 11:53 AM
turbo without brakes upgrade???????

when u hit the brake does it go all the way down and doesnt do anything? if that the case could be the brake master cylinder...

shadou
30-03-2006, 11:57 AM
... your car didn't stop? lil concerning esp if you drive around my area. Does your car brake properly/normally when you are driving a suitable speed lets say 60-80km/ph? or just when you floor it? when applying brakes does it feel in anyway 'spongy'? change the brake fluids? ECT ECT there's a whole list of crap that can go wrong, be more specific OR you can always hav a certified mechanic check it out.

Beastcivic
30-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Nah the car brakes fine under normal conditions. I suppose I over exaggerated, the car stopped, just not how i'd like it to. I really don't wanna spend over $500 on the upgrade if possible.

Jomsy
30-03-2006, 12:32 PM
decent pads and rotors will put you around the $500 mark, ask some of the people in the trade section, maybe the ebc were not upto there correct operating range,
my car really sucks at braking when cruising round the street, but once they are at there correct range it will throw you through the window,
FYI i got project Mu rotors with AP lockheed pads

shadou
30-03-2006, 02:12 PM
mayb you should try second hand disc callipers, my friend has a lancer and he upped his front disc callipers (not sure how muc tho) to twin piston. Look huge and funni cos the front r huge compared to the stock rear calliper

BlitZ
30-03-2006, 02:20 PM
i got ek4 rotors and calipers for sale.. much larger.. for only $150.
pm me...

I can kick in ABS around wakefiled all day with these brakes all day running ebc green stuff

ekslut
30-03-2006, 02:26 PM
First which model Civic do you have?

If its just a GLI or CXI then upgrade your front & rear disks and calipers to some EK4 ones. Then get some upgraded pads & disks. Where abouts are you? If you in Melbourne, try Race Brakes. They have well priced pads & disks there.

Just sounds like your current brakes are not up to the task of stopping your car. You have got a lot more power now, and the brakes were never designed to stop the car with so much power. You need to get bigger disks & calipers. And if you dont already have rear disks, then do it.

kyle
30-03-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't underdstand how you would need bigger brakes is you had more power. It's not like the car wieghs more. When your braking it's not like you have your foot on the gas at the same time? Theres no power being applied to the wheels so all the braking system has to do is slow down the cars apply a force to opisite direction that the car is moving. Braking force(Nm) must = opposing force(Cars Weight).

The nly way i could see that you would need bigger brakes with more power is that you would have the tendincies to go quicker around the place BUT if the Final drive of your car is the same as the stock car then the top speed doesn't changed. In other words I would say that a boosted EK1 civic should stop from 100Km/h to 0km/h just as quick as a stock Ek1 civic.

You shouldn't need to upgrade the brakes for street use But if you goto the track often, you should do it for reliability. My recommendation would be your choice of street/track pads and some DBA Discs. Maybe some bigger calipers from an EK4 aswell.

- Kyle

saxman
30-03-2006, 02:48 PM
You have got a lot more power now, and the brakes were never designed to stop the car with so much power.

because a car with 100hp traveling 70 mph requires way less stopping power than a car with 200 hp traveling 70 mph

the issue here isn't with the brakes

the issue here is that you're driving in a manner that requires you to stop from that high of speed on the street.

kyle
30-03-2006, 02:53 PM
No it doesn't??

Your only making that power under WOT at a certain RPM. DO you think your making that power when your braking your incorrect :|.
ONce your brakes are applied your usually coasting with the throttle closed or you have the clutch in, in which case little/no power is being applied to the wheels, thus the only force the brakes have to stop is the cars weight.

tekling
30-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't underdstand how you would need bigger brakes is you had more power. It's not like the car wieghs more. When your braking it's not like you have your foot on the gas at the same time? Theres no power being applied to the wheels so all the braking system has to do is slow down the cars apply a force to opisite direction that the car is moving. Braking force(Nm) must = opposing force(Cars Weight).

The nly way i could see that you would need bigger brakes with more power is that you would have the tendincies to go quicker around the place BUT if the Final drive of your car is the same as the stock car then the top speed doesn't changed. In other words I would say that a boosted EK1 civic should stop from 100Km/h to 0km/h just as quick as a stock Ek1 civic.

You shouldn't need to upgrade the brakes for street use But if you goto the track often, you should do it for reliability. My recommendation would be your choice of street/track pads and some DBA Discs. Maybe some bigger calipers from an EK4 aswell.

- Kyle
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

saxman
30-03-2006, 03:09 PM
No it doesn't??
I was being sarcastic... I typed my response before the one above it was posted, so I could see how it would read wrong

kyle
30-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Alright. Im just sik of the eMechanics who give out false statements like "whoa man you got a turbo and didn't upgrade your brakes.... thats hektic!" Then will pass on some bullshit info about them needing a certain product for there car, which conveinintly is sold by there mates who happen to be traders.

Weq
30-03-2006, 05:06 PM
the reason i just upgraded my brakes was probbaly the same as beastcivic. i gtech'd one night and at the end of the 1/4 i was hitting 5th. lets just say 5th to 1st in under 100m was scareyer then i liked.

That said, i drove around turbo for a year without a worry in the world. everything was sweet and never needed more power.. Its all about how hard u want to push it.

topic at hand:
ur options arnt that great they. u can go integra vtir upgrade fro around 400~. Typer is alot more. Ur other option is to grab some mounts ande 12" disc's from the US. they let the standard caliper use mu much larger disc's. Although i dont see how this will help if u arnt experiencing heat issues..

My last advice is stay away form the track pads on the street. I dont know what ur EBC are rated at, but good track pads need warming up before they become effective.. This isnt really ideal for street conditions.

bungsai
31-03-2006, 12:09 PM
yeah kyle im with you, as in yes mathematically its all good, i guess its the mindset, you tend to drive harder if you can...

especially in street driving i guess if i cane it from the lights in my vtir im doing like 100 in about 7-8 seconds...if i TC'ed it, that reduces to like 5 seconds, in 10 seconds i can be doing like 150+ (not that you would want to be speeding like on public roads blah blah)...its just i guess for peace of mind...i mean you have the opportunity to accelerate faster, and sometimes you are going to have to RAPIDLY decellerate, as you have found out in this situation...

i guess its the ambiguity and randomness of street driving that would compel me to upgrade my brakes, knowing that i can accelerate stupidly quick, but if i need to stop stupidly quick too...

rollin_high
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
try and see if you can get a type r front set up it should fit and sloted discs and performance pads,should be able to find a second hand set around.

barefootbonzai
01-04-2006, 10:24 PM
quite some interesting points in this thread. But y does an EK4 have better brakes than a EK1 for, since they weigh pretty similar? Cause honda is always trying to cheap out when they can.

EuroDude
01-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah u do need bigger brakes if you have more HP. Its all about human reaction times with other cars.

The reason being, is that you need to be on par with other cars on the road (The "normal" or "average" driving speed), and because some people take into account how fast the other cars are on the road when they merge.

For instance take a two lane road - you (Mr Civic Turbo) are in the left lane, another car is in the right lane 20 meters ahead and they think "ok they have a civic, its safe to merge infront of the civic now because those cars arent very quick". They decide to merge infront of you, but at the same time you decide to accelerate rapidly. The other car is not expecting a huge burst of power and think its safe, but Mr Civic Turbo has just dropped the clutch and pelted ahead into the other cars merging area - now if Mr Civic Turbo has bigger brakes, he/she will be able to stop in time to avoid a collision.

If the other car saw a BMW M3 in the left lane, they would think twice about merging infront of it, and instead slow down and wait for the M3 to pass, then merge behind it... Just incase the M3 dude has a lead-foot.

...Another reason is that if you have a quick car, you can sometimes misjudge or accidentally push the accelerator too much in traffic, which would require bigger brekes to stop quicker.

If there are no other cars on the road, then u wouldnt need bigger brakes because you wouldnt get into a sticky situation due to other cars on the road.

ekslut
04-04-2006, 09:03 AM

- Kyle

Because if you have more power then you can accelerate quicker. Which means you have more momentum that you need to stop. Hence why the brakes wont keep up.

Your right if both cars are travling at the same consistant pace, then it should not make a difference in brakes. But if one is accelerating much quicker up to a given pace, it will need more braking force to stop the momentum and bring it to a stop then a car that accelerates much slower.

But anyways, its been said that his brakes are not keeping up with repeated hard braking, but they are fine normally. He has already got some upgraded disks & pads, therefore the best solution is to get bigger disks. This means a bigger disk can displace more heat, which should help stop the overheating. Easiest way to do this would be to get a EK4 front brake setup, then get some new pads & disks. Look at getting some rear disk brakes to help the fronts out too, coz now the fronts are doing all the work. After you have done that look at some braided brake lines, and some better brake fluid.