PDA

View Full Version : Weird Noise in engine bay

Breezy
31-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm hearing a weird noise in my engine bay. It sounds like a loud rattling noise, its not the tappets. Its coming from the right hand side. What could be the problem?

bennjamin
31-03-2006, 05:52 PM
rattling noise - is this while driving or while stopped ? Does it happen when u open your bonnet with the engine on ?check that each belt on ur RHS is firm and not loose for a start. BTW how do u know its not your "tappets" ?

Breezy
31-03-2006, 06:12 PM
rattling noise - is this while driving or while stopped ? Does it happen when u open your bonnet with the engine on ?check that each belt on ur RHS is firm and not loose for a start. BTW how do u know its not your "tappets" ?

The noise happens while stop and driving. Cause it loud and its not a ticking noise. The noise sounds bad, is there anything that can come loose in that area? Does the timing belt make sounds when its about to go?

bennjamin
31-03-2006, 06:14 PM
how many k's on ur car ? What kind of eg ? Breeze/vti/gli/si ? Is the noise comign from drivers side or passengers side ? (RHS is to do with perspective)

Breezy
31-03-2006, 06:31 PM
how many k's on ur car ? What kind of eg ? Breeze/vti/gli/si ? Is the noise comign from drivers side or passengers side ? (RHS is to do with perspective)

220,000ks its a breezy? its coming from the passenger side. any ideas?

ECU-MAN
31-03-2006, 10:50 PM
could be

altenator and or its belt
power stearing pump or its belt
ac compressor bearing failed
water pump failled

timming belts that are about to snap do not giv you any warning, they just snap

a loose or over tight belt can be noisy

Qwooootz
01-04-2006, 12:39 AM
i had the same problem a few months back thought it was comming from the engine bay coz everytime id rev or drive and stop a strong rattling noise wud sound somewhere in the engine bay ,but all along my cat had colapsed, so mite be that?? its really hard to tell unless you hear first hand.. and try every area.. and yes it is annoying took me a month to find th problem!:confused:

goodluck!:thumbsup:

johnn
02-04-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm having the same problem now... I havent checked it out yet by someone.. But will soon... But my sounds i little different though. its more of a electric sounds like something is zappping something... its happens with I'm driving it.. Dont really know what it is.... its comes and goes...

kayot1k
03-04-2006, 01:08 AM
hehe i get similar noise as well. had it for ages. only when engine is cold. can hear it through the rocker. like crackling sound when i rev the engine on cold. after its warmed to idle temp it doesnt do it anymore. still dont know what it is.

BrianC
04-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Same bro. Although not as loud or harsh as what yours it i dont think. Its when the engine is cold, and when its just me in the car driving. If theres 1 or more passengers then the sound is alot softer and barely audible? I went to hanny's for check, but he couldnt really hear it. Its been there since i got the car. Keep us posted

mugeneration
04-04-2006, 08:00 PM
I was told it was a fan belt problem, though i told my mechanic about the problem when i took it in for a service, and i still have the sound. I hate it, its embarassing! lol

johnn
05-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi all.. Just got back from a mates house.. the nosie is really getting to me... the sounds is becoming more louder.. I found out its coming from my driver's side wheel...I think there is something rubbing some other thing thats causing the weird sound... So I thought it would have been my brake pads... that could have been wore out... But realise that i still had at least 60-70% of pad left...still not sure what could be the problem.. the sound would come on only if i brake... and also sometimes when driving straight... But i know for a fact when I do left hand turns the sounds comes back.. could my discs need machining??

destrukshn
05-04-2006, 11:16 PM
wheel bearing, if it's coming from the wheel area, that's what i reckon.

johnn
08-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Yeh.. i thought so too.. but then realise when driving alot more and paying attention to the sound... it comes on when i'm braking.. so then I think it could be my brake pads...that must be wored out... But I know def its coming from the right side of the car... getting check out today..