PDA

View Full Version : ED9 '91 CRX B18C swap

CRXer
01-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi all,
Been thrown in to the deep end on this due to D16A8 timing belt failure.
So made a quick decision to attempt the B18C swap.A lot of the info I'm searching seems a little outdated,as I realise a lot of these swaps have been done of late.
The only half cut I could find on such short notice was a JDM DC2 teg with Y80 tranny & P72 ECU,so I realise I have some issues ahead....
Waiting for Hasport EFB2 mounts to arrive and was wondering has anyone had any experience with this kit.Such as,
-do i get to keep my original hood(with timing bump) as i prefer it over the JDM version.I realise the B18 is higher than B16?
-what mods have to be made to keep A/C and Pwr/Steer?
Can I do a brake upgrade from this model teg?
Also any advice on suspension components(particularly axles) & currently available headers would be much appreciated.
Actually any advice at all..............
Sorry if any of this is out of order.Time is really against me & my wallet right now
I will update this thread with any current info as I encounter it,so as to help anyone else having trouble searching this specific topic as I did.

Update 1 (18/5)

Ok guys/gals,finally got the Hasport kit from Full-Race after extensive delays,their online store went down for an upgrade,they lost my order,blah,blah.......,but had no probs accepting my money,go figure???

In the meantime i decided to rewire the car myself.I basically cut the wiring required out of the teg harness & adapted it to the crx making the engine plug & play.Didnt take as long as i thought,did it casually over a weekend.Threw in the teg cluster while i was at it.But more on that later as there are more pressing issues!

Got a mechanic dropping in the engine for me,and he called today to tell me the mounts dont line up.
I purchased the EFB2 kit along with hasport rear engine bracket & passenger side engine bracket.

Has anyone else used this kit & these engine brackets for a B18C,Y80 combo before?
As u can see from the photos below the tranny mount has to drop down and with the rear bracket in place,im thinking the engine will twist slightly bringing the timing side bracket into line.He says he has tried everything.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1079_1_1.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1080_1_1_1.jpg

Who is right? Should i tell him to try a bit harder?Is this a Y80 issue?Have i been supplied the wrong brackets/mounts?Is this just another US manufacturing/tolerance/reliability issue like i encounter in my everyday job?Sorry i'll stop now b4 i offend anyone else............getting impatient.

Would really appreciate your thoughts

Perry
01-04-2006, 10:54 AM
from memory i cant remember if there is any room for A/c with b18c its just so tight but sum1 can correct me on that

iamhappy46
01-04-2006, 11:13 AM
You can swap the front brakes hub assembly over, which is quite easy.

The B18 block should sit lower in the engine bay(ie sump closer to ground) so should clear the bonnet easily enough.

Only hassle will be wiring and converting the OBD-0 to OBD1 or OBD2.

n/a
02-04-2006, 12:09 AM
you need to realise that the ED's came with cable clutch. i don't know is Y80 is hydro or cable, but if it's out of a DC2 it'll probably be hydro.

it can be done, i think some modifications to your firewall, or you could use a B-series gbox out of the EF8/9 or DA8/9. those had the B16A cable clutch boxes, don't know if you can use a B16 box for a B18C engine..

b18c_crx
03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
hey i did my conversion b18c into 89 crx i lost my a/c but i still have power steering. but my engine is hittin the bonnet atm still gettin that fix.

SINISTR
03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
HASport also supplies a Hydraulic to Cable clutch conversion kits of late... might be a good idea to get one of those and save yourself the hassle of a conversion?

Bonnet should be good - considering that Hasport has redeveloped the mounts to sit the engine lower in the bay - therefore avoiding the bonnet hitting the rocker cover.

Are you getting a conversion harness as well?

b18c_crx
03-04-2006, 12:08 PM
HASport also supplies a Hydraulic to Cable clutch conversion kits of late... might be a good idea to get one of those and save yourself the hassle of a conversion?

Bonnet should be good - considering that Hasport has redeveloped the mounts to sit the engine lower in the bay - therefore avoiding the bonnet hitting the rocker cover.

Are you getting a conversion harness as well?

hey i have the hasport kit in my car and my bonnet still hit the engine.

SINISTR
03-04-2006, 12:14 PM
All i know is there were two sets of kits... and 'old' kit and 'new' kit. with the old kit the engine hit the bonner and then they made changes.

Perhaps you still have one of the 'old' kits?

Dylanamus
03-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Y80 is a hydro transsmision/clutch. Y1 is cable.

Pokiou
03-04-2006, 02:41 PM
hey guys im intrested in doing a b18c conversion to.. does any1 know or can point me in the right direction to obtain an engine .. ive done a search and i can only find imlach and they want a arm and leg.. :( .....

Pok

CRXer
18-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Updated 1st post,would appreciate ur comments:)

bumography
19-05-2006, 12:08 AM
hi can i ask how much+ where u got those hasport mounts from
is it a direct order from their website?
cheers

panda[cRx]
19-05-2006, 12:10 AM
hasport won't ship to aus

they will refer you to www.full-race.com

i got mine from there, VERY quick shipping. don't forget things like axles + shift linkages too

CRXer
19-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Check the link Panda made above,they have a full price list & dont listen to my rant,they are very helpful,i just got caught up in their server upgrade.
Just beware u have to pay import duty on orders over $1000(i think),so i made 2 seperate orders to break it up.

BTW,Panda,ur packing a B18c,right?
If so what tranny,kit & engine brackets did u use & did it all bolt straight up?

CRXer
19-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Just had another thought,
I'm thinking he made the alternator clearance on the shock tower with the front crossmember removed,do you think this might have pulled the front chassis rail across when he was beating away at it?

SINISTR
19-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Panda - when you got the mounts - did you notice if the price 'full-race' gave you for mounts was lower than the one HASPORT is asking? I enquired about 2yrs ago and was about US$50 cheaper on the mounts alone.

CRXer
19-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Yes Full-Race are a fair bit cheaper then the prices listed on the Hasport site,just check it out.

And now,sorry buddy,back to my question,thanks........