PDA

View Full Version : stuck

LIV3
01-04-2006, 07:36 PM
hey people..

i have four 6" sony xplod speakers pumping 170 watts,with a amp deck 52 x 4 that plays mp3's and dont i dont know if i should i get a sub or a pair of 6 x 9's..

any suggestions? :(

ICACHA
01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
hey LIV3, speakers dont actually pump watts as you've described, but reproduce what you put into them via the head unit and/or if you have an amplifier attached :)

you'd be wasting money buying the 6x9 speakers, id go, and pretty sure most others will agree, that you go with a sub :)

LIV3
01-04-2006, 07:41 PM
i have a ROCKSFORDFOSGATE amp its only 150 x 2 chan's mosfet amp its old thought.. the bass in the car now is okay i guess.. any other ways on getting deep bass?

ICACHA
01-04-2006, 08:13 PM
subwoofer and that amp is fine to run a sub

LIV3
01-04-2006, 08:14 PM
thanks for your replies and tips =D

EuroDude
01-04-2006, 08:45 PM
6x9's will provide some good bass, but nothing compared to a decent sub.

Ive had sony Xplode 6", Xplode 6x9's and a Sony Xplode Amp - they were all terrible.

The 6"s had terrible sound clarity
The 6x9's sounded damp and one blew only after a week.
The Amp overheated all the time and caused the lights to dim

So avoid Sony car audio (The Head units are ok though). Go for Clarion, Kenwood, Rockford fosgate, JL.

A great Sub that performs like the big boys, doesnt need a very powerful amp, and costs half the price is the Adire Shiva. I'm running mine from an Audison SRx3 Amp and the bass is earth shattering (and no light dimming :)). You need a decent sized Sub Box for the Shiva though.
www.adireaudio.com

Fhrx
02-04-2006, 06:18 AM
The reason many people are tending to recommend front speakers rather than 6x9s at the rear is this; seeing as you're seated at the front and your ears face forwards I would leave the rear speakers factory for now. The only time we bother upgrading the rear speakers is if you either A; have people in the rear all the time or B; run surround sound.

For further information click here (http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/faq.asp#28). :D

Xplodin
02-04-2006, 08:41 AM
....seeing as you're seated at the front and your ears face forwards I would leave the rear speakers factory for now....

fhrx,

Have u heard the stock speakers? in your car buddy. Its like me getting sock and shove into your mouth and making you sing! OMG they are terrable.

LIV3,

Here's my set up ATM.
HU:Pioneer DEHP8650MP
Front: Pioneer Splits
Rear: Pioneer 6X9 300W
Amp1:Alpine V Power (100w RMS X 4)
Amp2:Alpine V12 Class D mono (300w X 1)
Sub: MTX audio 300W RMS 12"

Anyways, my suggestion is, if you have a high end head unit you should beable to control the high pass filter (HPF) on the four speakers. Everyone who asks me about stero's in the car i always tell them to go full out at the front and just standard at the rears. As Fhrx says stock is fine but, to tell you its not that good at all. But ur set up is ok ATM. 6" weren't desiged to produce bass, If i were you just purchase a sub, trust me its once you sub it u'll never go with out a sub again. LOL.... Run the sub off the amp u've already got and it should work fine. Try and sell the front set of speakers and getting a pair of splits as they are 10X better than any speakers i've heard!!!

Hope that helps.

VTECACCORD
02-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah cause FHRX has no idea what hes talking about.

He doesn't run one of the most respected car audio businesses in NSW, and he has never produced any quality work. Yep FHRX doesn't know shit :confused:

Xplodin when FHRX talks about car audio we all shut the up and take his advice, he knows what hes talking about.

If ur rear speakers are farked u disconnect em

integraz
02-04-2006, 12:23 PM
If your rears are that bad, maybe it shat itself, then just get some cheapish pioneer, sony or whateva 6 inchs for the back, if u really wanna replace them that bad, but then fade it so that you can not hear anything at the back, unless you shuve your ear right at the speaker.

and Fhrx isright he's a pro, and knows what he's doing.

ICACHA
02-04-2006, 01:11 PM
VTECACCORD, I must say, from you post above, Marty (Fhrx) is not gay and is married to a lovely young lady, so why are you trying to get into his pants by kissing his ass? :wave:

tegboy
02-04-2006, 03:06 PM
VTECACCORD, I must say, from you post above, Marty (Fhrx) is not gay and is married to a lovely young lady, so why are you trying to get into his pants by kissing his ass? :wave:

Bwhahahha, LMFAO @ George!

VTECACCORD
02-04-2006, 08:33 PM
when a man knows his shit, i pay my respect.

Browsing his site taught me a lot of useful information, and he is always willing to give his time to shed light on a situation.

mugeneration
02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Well if you're after bass then yeah just go the sub. Keep in mind that 6x9s pump a good amount of mid-bass though, which if you havnt got a sub you will really notice. You'll also notice that you wont enjoy listeing to your music if you cant hear it over the bass, though your friends will love the vibrating massage they get thru their seats hehe.

ICACHA
02-04-2006, 09:33 PM
when a man knows his shit, i pay my respect.

Browsing his site taught me a lot of useful information, and he is always willing to give his time to shed light on a situation.

thats good, its you just sounded a little too sarcastic to the other member with your post :)

ICACHA
02-04-2006, 09:38 PM
fhrx,

Have u heard the stock speakers? in your car buddy. Its like me getting sock and shove into your mouth and making you sing! OMG they are terrable.

there is nothing wrong with leaving the rear speakers in there as rear fill.

as marty has said and many would agree, your ears face forward not backward so why would you want sound (which is reflected by glass, plastic, vinyl, leather and an array of other materials) playing louder than the front? sort of defeats the purpose of front stage rear fill. plus do (for example) people have their main speakers and centre channel in home systems behind them? (want to see that hahahaha) i dont think so for some reason :)

how many times have your mates sitting in the back gotten a head ache and asked you to turn it down?

people who have the system mainly playing from the front dont have the issue of mates telling you to turn it down or asking for a panadol after the drive :wave:

Xplodin
03-04-2006, 09:14 AM
there is nothing wrong with leaving the rear speakers in there as rear fill.

as marty has said and many would agree, your ears face forward not backward so why would you want sound (which is reflected by glass, plastic, vinyl, leather and an array of other materials) playing louder than the front? sort of defeats the purpose of front stage rear fill. plus do (for example) people have their main speakers and centre channel in home systems behind them? (want to see that hahahaha) i dont think so for some reason :)

how many times have your mates sitting in the back gotten a head ache and asked you to turn it down?

people who have the system mainly playing from the front dont have the issue of mates telling you to turn it down or asking for a panadol after the drive :wave:

I wasnt bagging him or anything at all. i was just saying about the quality of factory speakers. i couldnt stand then for 3 days. Everyones different in what they like in there car. Me i like to change the whole system over. Some people like to do it in stages and leave the back while concentrating on the front for sound. Wasnt sayin that he doesnt know anything at all,(i would never do that because i'm not king D!ck and know it all) Was only sayin how bad the factory speakers are on cars. And if i did offend him or you i'm terrably sorry. :wave: :cool: :thumbsup:

ICACHA
03-04-2006, 09:50 AM
nah you didnt offend me, i got think skin :)

LIV3
03-04-2006, 06:36 PM
hmm..

my front 6" pump more bass than the rear.. theyre the same speakers aswell but my back is hollow. ive been looking at a sony xplod 12" sub in a box..
its about $179 (AUD).

its just the amount of closure in my boot. its not realy a boot.. after all it is in a crv..

but thanks for your replies people :) :thumbsup:

mugeneration
03-04-2006, 07:09 PM
WEll if youre in that lower sort of price range I wouldnt recommend an xplod sub at all. Go a pioneer one, they give good bass for the price. Plus they come in a range of factory box sizes (depending on what year product the place is stocking, all same sub, different box)

Muzz
03-04-2006, 07:24 PM
The reason many people are tending to recommend front speakers rather than 6x9s at the rear is this; seeing as you're seated at the front and your ears face forwards I would leave the rear speakers factory for now. The only time we bother upgrading the rear speakers is if you either A; have people in the rear all the time or B; run surround sound.

For further information click here (http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/faq.asp#28). :D

im not disagreing with you, nor am i saying i kno more than you or anything like that, but i feel adding rear speakers makes a huge difference to sound, but yeh at the same time theres nothing at all wrong with just running fronts.

I believe this because strathfield car audio installed my girls sound system (not recomended) in her car, good front splits, good rear coaxials mtx amp, pioneer sub. The front splits were connected to two channels on the amp with the sub bridged on the other 2, the rear coaxials were running off headunit.

The thing is when she brought it home it sounded great, but i noteced barly any sound was coming from the rear speakers. after lots of head scratching i realised strathfield had the gains on the amp turned up way to high, so at 10% headunit vol the amp was working to max (loud at all speakers except at rears). after setting the gains right, the rears produced much better volume. which i thought sounded WAY nicer. just more fuller sound, more spread out, felt more surrounded by the music.
She thought it sounded awsome as it was, but wen i increased the vol of the rear speakers it BLEW her mind, totally changing the way it all went together. b4 it sounded like bass from rear & treble from front, now the sounds like were surrounded by the sound.
just my 2cents

Muzz
03-04-2006, 07:36 PM
"It is for this reason that many demo and competition cars have their rear speakers turned down or simply don't have them at all. What we instead recommend is that you spend all your money on the front speakers where you are and get yourself some sound deadening (q.v.). "

is this true? i dont kno heaps about car audio, but would a sound quality comp car just be running fronts? or is this for spl comps?

ICACHA
03-04-2006, 09:48 PM
yes, you will find that most competition cars either run a mid (only) as rear fill or nothing at all, Marty (Fhrx) and I both dont run anything in the rear of our cars (although Marty has rears, but they're not powered), its the way we've chosen to do it for sheer SQ. there are enough reflections in car (i.e. glass, plastics, vinyl and so on) which reflect sound waves and these are our biggest nightmares next to rattles. :D but then again Marty might say differently or add something ive missed out on.

LIV3
04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
im just wondering but would the amount of space in my boot change the amount of bass i get for my 2 6" speakers?

EuroDude
04-04-2006, 07:10 PM
WEll if youre in that lower sort of price range I wouldnt recommend an xplod sub at all. Go a pioneer one.

Exactly, ask any professional audio guru and they will tell you Sony Xplode speakers/subs/amps are terrible. The problem is that Sony make a huge range of products, and their car audio section is just another product they sell.

Go for a brand that dedicate themselves to car audio like JL Audio, kenwood, pioneer even if you have to spend a bit more :thumbsup:

If you want ok bass without buying a sub then get some Kenwood 7x10's ... the more speaker surface area will provide more bass. I have these speakers and they are actually quite bassy when running off a half decent Amp (but cant compete with my 12" Adire Shiva though ;)).

LIV3
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
wat about JBL or MTX audio? are they any good?..
i realy just want sumthing that gives a shit load of bass and sumthing cheap..

mugeneration
04-04-2006, 07:49 PM
The higher end JBL and MTX subs, people tell me, are very good. So if you can get a good one cheap enough then you're laughing.

EuroDude
04-04-2006, 10:20 PM
If you want ok bass as cheap as possible then check out the Jaycar Subwoofers - apparantly they are decent subs from what Ive read (They are better than XPlode at in the same price range), but personally I would prefer more bass i.e. the Adire Shiva 12" (~$300)

Jaycar CAT. NO. CS2366
10" PROFILE METAL COATED CONE SUBWOOFER
$139.00

Specifications:
* Nominal Impedance : 2 x 2 Ohm Voice Coils
* Power Handling: 250 Watts RMS
* Sensitivity: SPL - 87.2 db - 1 Watt @ 1 metre
* Voice Coil Resistance (Re): 1.3 Ohms
* Resonant Frequency (Fs): 23.7Hz
* Mechanical Q Factor (Qms): 3.976
* Electrical Q Factor (Qes): 0.382
* Total Q Factor (Qts): 0.348
* Equivalent Volume (Vas): 66.085 litres
* Voice Coil Diameter: 65mm BASV
* Xmax: 10mm
* Speaker Dimensions: A 274, B 250, C 235
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2366&CATID=15&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=396
http://www.users.bigpond.com/bcolliso/drivers.htm

Put the Sub in this box:

Jaycar CS-2521
Typical applications:
Small Vented Box:
Box volume (litres): 25L
Tuning Frequency (Hz): 25Hz
-3db point (Hz): 31.5Hz
Cabinet Dimensions (external): 415(H) x 300(W) x 250(D)mm
Port size: 50mm dia, 280mm long

Run the Sub and your rear (or front!) speakers using this Amp:

Jaycar CAT. NO. AA0426
RESPONSE CAR AMP 4X100WRMS
$299
Power / channel @ 4ohm 14.4V: 130WRMS x 4
Power / channel @ 2ohm 14.4V: 190WRMS x 4
Power / bridged @ 4ohm 14.4V: 380WRMS x 2
Signal/Noise ratio: >90dB
Input sensitivity: 200mV to 5V
Low pass filter: 50 - 500Hz @ 12dB/octave
High pass filter: 50 - 500Hz @ 12dB/octave
Pass thru RCA: Yes
Dimensions: 400(L) x 258(W) x 50mm(D)
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0426&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

-->Bridge two of the channels to power the Sub, and the other two to run the fronts or rears). And make sure you wire up the Sub properly because its a dual voice coil sub, and calculate the ohm ratings, and Serial/Parallel wiring rules.

ICACHA
05-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Exactly, ask any professional audio guru and they will tell you Sony Xplode speakers/subs/amps are terrible. The problem is that Sony make a huge range of products, and their car audio section is just another product they sell.

really? i thought that sony was ok, just unreliable :confused:

Go for a brand that dedicate themselves to car audio like JL Audio, kenwood, pioneer even if you have to spend a bit more :thumbsup:

JL i would say yes, but not to their entry level.
Kenwood whos kidding who? people that make blenders :confused:
Pioneer, same as JL, I prefer their Pro headunits over the bling factor head units.

If you want ok bass without buying a sub then get some Kenwood 7x10's ... the more speaker surface area will provide more bass. I have these speakers and they are actually quite bassy when running off a half decent Amp (but cant compete with my 12" Adire Shiva though ;)).

7x10's with a sub? must love that full rich midrange sound :D

alls good EuroDude, just playing with you :)