PDA

View Full Version : air in oil?

wkdteg
01-04-2006, 09:14 PM
ok, so im lookin at a few cars to buy.
i was told that there shouldnt b any air comming out of the oil filler hole when the engine is on, and that any air pressure would mean that a piston ring is on its way out.
any truth to this?
i was assuming that considering that the cam is just directly above the filler cap, that there would b a some air as well as oil splatter as the cam is spinning at a high rate which would cause a fanning effect on the air.
plz help me out
cheers

e240
01-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Get the car to Operating temp. Open the oil filler cap.

There will be some air due to the pressure but look out for smoke and excessive oil being forced out with the pressure. If thats happening, likely the rings/pistons are ferked. A compression/leakdown test will then confirm.

SKREMN
01-04-2006, 11:24 PM
there will be some pressure due to the crank movemnt and so on this causes turbulace in the air
this does not mean the rings are gone
there are other ways of testing for this
hondas expecially produce more air flow then other cars
this is a normal thing

wkdteg
01-04-2006, 11:27 PM
so best way to test this would b...?

SKREMN
01-04-2006, 11:32 PM
does the car blow smoke?
if it does what colour is it?
not 100% shure of what colour means what but you do a compresion test on thh car and you will know

wkdteg
02-04-2006, 01:11 AM
yeah it wasnt blowing it any smoke apart from the condensation that would of been in the exhaust. the whole thing wouldnt of really mattered to me, but the fact that the car has done 195xxxkms doesnt help its cause. ill try to get a compression test done on it, just 2 c how its goin.
thanx for the help guyz
cheers