PDA

View Full Version : Help with clutch and gearbox

89civic
02-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi, i need some help choosing a clutch and geadbox for my D15B4, i dont know what kind of clutch to get, and what gearbox will fit my engine. my clutch now has had it, slips from 2nd and up, i want a good cluctch that will not slip. its only a street car and standard, please help! thanks

Oh, and i dont wanna be spending a shit load on it too!!

mugeneration
02-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Well if you're not looking to spend much, just tell the guy your changing the clutch with to put in a 'heavy duty' clutch for you. Thats as much advice as i can give you dude, sorry. I think to get a brand name one costs a bit.

ECU-MAN
02-04-2006, 11:18 PM
genuine clutches arnt that expensive and are you best option.

why do you need to change your gearbox ???

89civic
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
genuine clutches arnt that expensive and are you best option.

why do you need to change your gearbox ???
Hey, i gotta change the gearbox because i think it is basically had it, wont go into gear all the time, takes mabey 2 shots before it engages, starting to chunch when downshifting to 2nd and the gear stick is real wobbly, like it moves heaps from side to side when it is engaged in any gear. i jus need a good clutch to last up to 2 yrs not even

Weq
04-04-2006, 06:02 PM
any d-series gearbox will fit. if u get a VTi box (off a d16y1 or d15y8) u will need the driveshafts 2. everything else is bolton.

89civic
04-04-2006, 06:29 PM
any d-series gearbox will fit. if u get a VTi box (off a d16y1 or d15y8) u will need the driveshafts 2. everything else is bolton.
what year cars are these off, all i know is what my engine is, so could anyone recommend a good box. i jus got new drive shafts put on when i got it so it would be no use replacing them with a gearbox. and could i do it myself, i put a new clutch and gearbox in a 82 ford laser but would this car be more difficult having less space to work with and all that?

iamhappy46
05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
It is a cable clutch so needs a cable gearbox, so the VTi box would not work!?

Get the Exedy HD Clutch kit, they retail for around $360 for all the parts required. There are 2 different types of kit for the 1989 ED Civic, you will need to have the gearbox/clutch off before ordering the correct unit.

Measure the clutch plate(friction disc) diameter and count the number of splines on the gearbox shaft(either 20 or 21) and the Exedy catalogue will hep you out. www.exedy.com.au

Good luck

89civic
05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
thanks mate, helped alot, i looked at some of the traders prices on here and its 240 for the same car as mine but D16A8, will this one go with my engine, there is other ones with D15B series but they are different models, like ef or something! and do i get a clutch alignment tool with these? if not how much are they

iamhappy46
05-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Get the proper D15B gearbox and know that it will work for sure. I know Ichiban in Sydney sell the ED D15B gearbox for $345 + freight.

The EF Civic D15B gearbox is probably the right one... Just confirm the gearbox serial number(sticker near the exhaust) has the same code.

89civic
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
thanks mate, i think that is a bit much for a box, i jus want a second hand one that wil hold up for a while, im not sure if the one in it has been changed since new either.
is it bad to drive my car with the clutch like it is? only slips when the power comes in after 3500rpm!

iamhappy46
07-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I have seen ED Civics with the original gearbox taking 250,000Km's without a problem. The symptoms you describe could also indicate a broken engine mount or damaged gear shift bushes. Check the engine mount at the back of the gearbox for cracks or damage.

The clutch should be fine if you avoid rev'ing it above 3000rpm, drive it like a grandma and you should get another month or 2 out of the clutch.

Rufes1
07-04-2006, 10:07 AM
hey mate,

I also have a D15b4 in an ED hatch. Also I have gone through a gearbox and clutch. Altho when my gearbox blew it really did blow.

When my clutch was getting old i was having the same thing as you, slipping when you shift hard into seconds and up.

The d15b4 box is a weak box, when my clutch went I wanted to get one of the excedy heavy duty ones purely because i wanted to MAKE SURE it wasnt going to slip.

At the end of the day I decided just to go with a standed clutch as the heavy duty one puts added stress on the box and really is an unecessary overkill. The standed replacement one I got is just a cheap aftermarket brand.

As for a replacement box I got one for $350 from parts plus at concord and $200 labour and parts to fit it and the clutch.

nearly 40,000kms later the clutch has never slipped once and the gearbox is still feeling ok even though it is out of an 88 civic.

The heavy duty clutch would just be a waste of time, the standard one is more than good enough for the stock power of the car. Save your money.

If you use a newer D series box you will have to change from cable clutch to hydraulic, which isnt really hard. Also you will need to change to flywheel.

Anyway hope that helps

iamhappy46
07-04-2006, 05:33 PM
A heavy duty clutch does not put stress on the gearbox. It clamps the clutch friction disc to the flywheel a little harder and can prevent clutch slip for mouch longer.

Choose the clutch that suits you and your budget.

89civic
07-04-2006, 10:42 PM
hey mate,

I also have a D15b4 in an ED hatch. Also I have gone through a gearbox and clutch. Altho when my gearbox blew it really did blow.

When my clutch was getting old i was having the same thing as you, slipping when you shift hard into seconds and up.

The d15b4 box is a weak box, when my clutch went I wanted to get one of the excedy heavy duty ones purely because i wanted to MAKE SURE it wasnt going to slip.

At the end of the day I decided just to go with a standed clutch as the heavy duty one puts added stress on the box and really is an unecessary overkill. The standed replacement one I got is just a cheap aftermarket brand.

As for a replacement box I got one for $350 from parts plus at concord and $200 labour and parts to fit it and the clutch.

nearly 40,000kms later the clutch has never slipped once and the gearbox is still feeling ok even though it is out of an 88 civic.

The heavy duty clutch would just be a waste of time, the standard one is more than good enough for the stock power of the car. Save your money.

If you use a newer D series box you will have to change from cable clutch to hydraulic, which isnt really hard. Also you will need to change to flywheel.

Anyway hope that helps
Thanks, helped alot, do i have to get the flywheel machined when i put my clutch and box in? and is it worth changin to hydralic?

iamhappy46
08-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, you need to get the flywheel machined. Not worth changing to hydraulic clutch either as it is not a cheap upgrade.

A stock Exedy Clutch is around $270rrp but the HD kit is around $330rrp