PDA

View Full Version : [EURO] Remote key battery life

djcloud
02-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Did a search and couldn't really find the answers to my question. Just wondering how long the battery life in your remote key last before you go change a new battery? Only had my car for just a little over 3mths and it seems the battery is slowly dying, I still have the spare key to use though. Just thought 3mths is a bit too short don't you think? :eek:

Entity
02-04-2006, 06:52 PM
i've had mine for 9 months, the boot release button is starting to be less effective but the rest still work fine..

Pumped
02-04-2006, 07:10 PM
not sure on the euro, on my past car, it lasted for years!

BiLL|z0r
02-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Mine's 6mths old and my car lock button doesn't seem as effetcive as unlock or boot realease. When it was new I could lock from ages, now it's 3-4 presses close range before it locks sometimes. I do use it heaps of times everyday though as I'm in and out of the car and always lock it where ever I am.

djcloud
02-04-2006, 09:40 PM
the battery in my remote last for ages in my previous cars also. i don't even know if i can or should complain to the dealer about this or they'll probably say this is a 'wear and tear' thing. it has taken me by surprise that it only lasted this short time. What's the chances they'll replace the battery for me free of charge or are they gonna hit me with $$$ just to replace it? this sux :thumbdwn:

EuroDude
02-04-2006, 10:01 PM
It should last for years - maybe one day you accidentally sat on the button when it was in your pocket and it was sending out signals for 2 hours ;)

ps. Just get a small screw driver and open it up, write down the battery type/code and buy a new one from DickSmith for $1

yfin
02-04-2006, 10:39 PM
mine is close to 2.5 years old - still works fine and i use that open window function all the time :D

djcloud
02-04-2006, 11:03 PM
2.5 years ? :eek: I guess the life span of these batteries should last long. I'm just unfortunate to have the shitty batch lol. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and hope they give me a replacement battery, I'm hoping they would otherwise I'll be complaining to honda australia :p

ECU-MAN
02-04-2006, 11:11 PM
yeah mine is getting close to 2 years, both remotes work the same as the day I got it.

EuroAccord13
02-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Two years on and my remote is still working :D

Just bang your luck with a warranty replacement if your car is still under warranty.... The reason you will give them is that the battery has an amazingly short life span!!! :D

djcloud
02-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah I'll definitely try to push them for a warranty replacement. My warranty doesn't end until 2011 anyways ;)

ngupil
03-04-2006, 01:47 AM
i used more than 3 years for my old civic and its still worked fine, but distance was greatly reduced. for my euro, been using it for almost a year now, but sometime it doesnt want to lock if i press it once. is it the battery or .. ??

aaronng
03-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Mine is 1.5 years. Note your surroundings. When I am picking up my pizza, there are many powerlines overhead. I can lock the doors, open the boot but I can't unlock the doors! Tried with both keys. So interference could be what you are experiencing.

With the boot release button, you have to hold it for 2 seconds. It's a safety feature. Even the button is recessed to avoid accidental release. They do this because they can't get the boot to auto-close just like the door's auto-lock.

djcloud
03-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Interesting point Aaronng, never thought about the interference bit, but then again, is it possible? Funny thing is, yesterday i couldn't lock/unlock the doors with the remote. Had to keep pressing the lock button about 3 or 4 times to get it to lock. Then walked away and tested it again, didn't unlock til I walk practically infront of the car.

Amazingly though, this morning when I tried it from pretty far away, I could unlock and lock the car!! :eek: I think I should hold off giving honda a call til maybe end of this week or something...don't want to make myself look stupid if I take it there and then it works :o (and we all know this happens all the time!) so...I guess I'll wait and see. I'll be going down to Tassie soon and I don't wanna take the risk of not being able to lock/unlock my car while I'm down there haha. Maybe I'll just take my spare keys just in case :rolleyes:

EuroDude
03-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Well to test if it is indeed a battery problem, just compare the brightness of both sets of keys, and their functionality with the car.

If the spare key works better, just replace the battery.

ps. I just opened mine up - the battery is just a CR1616, it takes 2 seconds to replace.

djcloud
03-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I did check the brightness of both, somehow both aren't as bright red, just normal dark red I think. I'll probably buy some spare batteries when I go on my trip just in case i can't lock/unlock it lol.

K24A
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
but doesnt it depend on how often u use da remote..?

EuroDude
03-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Yea but 3 months is a bit short. I think he may have drained the batteries due to sitting on the remote while at the movies or something.

stalin
03-04-2006, 07:36 PM
djcloud , its been nearly 2 years and no problem at all..BUT i had the same problem a while back about 6 months ago ..it didn't work for about a week or so (it worked but had to push the button about 5 times)but few days gone it started working perfectly..what im assuming is it probably goes through some kind of 'difficult':) phase and than it recharges itself..trust me just give it couple of more days it will work back to its best!!-

PNR888
03-04-2006, 08:52 PM
my car is about 2.5 years now. Remote control works as good as when it is new. I can unlock and lock my doors from miles away (not actually miles, but lets say a good ten meters). It can even penetrate thru walls and glass windows (I can unlock/lock my Euro from upstairs while the car is parked in the garage.)

I heard that certain type of window tinting film (titianium) will affect the remote control and radio antena. Is this true?

djcloud
03-04-2006, 10:10 PM
It seems there's some sort of interference that is causing the remote from working properly. very weird...

Strangely though, the remote seems to be working as if it's brand new today :confused: And yeah, I've tested it from quite a distance and it worked fine. Maybe I'm going through what stalin went through with his remote 6mths ago.

I'm not sure if certain tinting film would possibly affect the remote control and radio antenna, perhaps someone might want to confirm this also?

Suntzu
04-04-2006, 09:02 AM
I lost one of my keys , so on a related note, how much does it cost to buy a new key/remote?

djcloud
04-04-2006, 10:07 AM
from memory, I think the dealer did mention this to me one time and said it was something like $180+ or possibly more? not sure, maybe someone can confirm this.

yfin
04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Try $550 but I am sure you can get it much cheaper - link (http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18833&page=1&pp=12&highlight=key)

Also worth mentioning the keys on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACCORD-UNCUT-REMOTE-KEY-2003-2005-MODELS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQitemZ8051 477449QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V)- I can't guarantee it will work but it is the same size and I imagine it just needs a cut and program. You need to check out this FCC code business mentioned on ebay.

aaronng
04-04-2006, 12:30 PM
I know how to reprogram the keyless entry bit. But the immobiliser chip itself I have no idea...... Guess you'll have to go to the dealer. You still have that little barcode thingy that came with your manual? They need that to reprogram the key. Call around the different dealers. I'm sure their prices will vary GREATLY.