PDA

View Full Version : brake bias?

n/a
03-04-2006, 09:58 PM
will i have a problem with ITR rotors and calipers on a civic Si if i only change my fronts?

ie, lock up my rears really easily?

no master cyclinder or brake booster is being changed.

thanks.

Zdster
03-04-2006, 10:02 PM
From what I have read, you should look at ungrading your master cylinder. Not sure about bias though - are you running a drum rear setup?

z3lda
03-04-2006, 11:17 PM
im running ITR spec brakes up front and stock brakes rear. No master cyclinder upgrades or boosters

no lock ups in the rear or anything.

breakin is sweet as.

CTR Coupe
03-04-2006, 11:49 PM
As long as you didn’t rock rear drums at any stage or had drums and upgraded your proportioning valve then you won’t have an issue

n/a
04-04-2006, 02:11 AM
thanks for the replies.

i've got rear disk brakes, don't all Si's have rear disks?

anyway, i've talked to alot of people about the booster and MC, i don't HAVE to change it, but it would be good if i did.

guess i'll be wacking ITR brakes on as soon as i can get a pair of fork EG6 forks!

CTR Coupe
04-04-2006, 02:16 AM
The only thing that will happen without an upgraded booster and MC is that the pedal will sink further to the floor.

n/a
04-04-2006, 02:21 AM
The only thing that will happen without an upgraded booster and MC is that the pedal will sink further to the floor.

yes indeed, but the problem that i thought would arise is the extra force on the brake pedal causes the rear to lock up while the fronts are simply braking like normal.

Zdster
04-04-2006, 04:29 AM

Ah, is that the only thing that happens? I was thinking along a similar line to n/a.

n/a
04-04-2006, 03:34 PM
if you think about it, there is obvious reasoning to the rears locking, but it practice it's meant to be different.

Slow96GSR
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM

Not necessarily so. Depends on the setup. Some will make the pedal go down less. As for bias as long as the valve still works it doesn't really matter what you change. It only evens out the pressure (40/60, 50/50, or whatever it's set to.) going to each wheel. To change that you need a adjustable bias valve. Read this (http://dsr.racer.net/brake_bias.htm) for more info.

n/a
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
so buddy what you're saying is no matter the size of the caliper the bias will remain the same as the original setting? if so i don't really have any worries about locking up my rears.

Slow96GSR
04-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Right! I swapped my fronts first since Baer didn't have the rears made and I never locked anything up. The bias was the same. If you make the caliper piston bigger then it takes less force to apply the brakes. It sounds weird I know but if you need more brakes with the bigger caliper get a smaller master cylinder. The bias valve does nothing to the way the brakes operate except to make sure the proper pressure is sent to the calipers, also if one drops pressure fast it won't let the pressure fall in the others.

n/a
04-04-2006, 07:05 PM
thank you! my question answered!

Slow96GSR
05-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Glad to help.