PDA

View Full Version : engine swap question

Rice_4_life
04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
hi new member here, i did try the search function for this and i apologise if thise has been posted in the past. I'm just curious what engines can be integrated into a civic engine bay and if there is a list of "legal" engine swaps out there for VIC roads. I've searched a while and using this as a last resort so i apologise if this has alrdy been discussed but i really need to noe.
Thnx

notorious_ahmie
04-04-2006, 12:18 PM
hi new member here, i did try the search function for this and i apologise if this has been posted in the past. I'm just curious what engines can be integrated into a civic engine bay and if there is a list of "legal" engine swaps out there for VIC roads for honda civics (both hatch and sedan preferable 1997+ models). I've searched a while and using this as a last resort so i apologise if this has alrdy been discussed but i really need to noe.
Thnx

hey mate theres endless possibilties for engine swaps

in regards to legal issues it depends on the orignal eng of the car and wat year it is, ie: if ur car is a 1996 model, u have to have an eng in there that is 96+ i beleive, cant have an older eng in a newwer chassis

also if ur car is a 1.6 then u can stay 1.6 without engineers but if u go to a 1.8 which is 15% increase ull need to get an engineers report done and so on with other capacities

a list of a few engines for a civic chassis that are worth considering (rough prices of half cuts but dont quote me on this)

b16a (3-4K) ek vtir
b16b (6-7K) civic type R
b18c (4.5-5.5K) teg vtir
b18c7 ( 5.5-6.5K)ITR
h22a (dunno maybe round 5k)prelude vtir
and the mighty k20 (7.5k +)dc5r

now just remember not all of em will be direct fit, some modding will be needed for the bigger engines but most B series will require lil to none

so hope ive helped out a lil

SiReal
04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Well, B16 series (civic, crx), B18 series (integra), B20 (B16 head with CRV B20 bottom end), H22 series (prelude or accord siR). thats all I can think of atm.

Take note taht any engine you put in your car MUST be newer than the build date of the car itself or its illegal.

edit: i just listed the more powerful DOHC VTEC common swaps. of cousre u can swap in other SOHC, SOHC VTEC engines, but why bother when u can get the premium stuff.

j-specAccord
04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
google, civic... there is shitloads

type one
04-04-2006, 01:12 PM
check the hasport website... lots of useful info.

Rice_4_life
04-04-2006, 03:10 PM
thanks this helps me a lot, i was afraid if i started my project some random cop or authority figure would pull me over and imprison my car. I'm not 100% sure on the engine i want but i'll hunt down the exact specs (unless anyone else has them and wants to share) of each engine. thanks again this really helped

Dylanamus
04-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Wasn't it box hill that some guy was caught going 200kmph through moorandah hwy?

It's all about how much you wanna pay. The K series ITR is the best and the most expensive - also the least compatable. Well unless you argue that the b20b block with a b16 or b18 dohc head is better, but that's a matter of opinion.

notorious_ahmie
04-04-2006, 03:40 PM
just a link i found on yahoo

http://www.streettuners.com/curve/engine/engine_specs.html

Rice_4_life
04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
well im not lookin for a fridai nite drag racer engine, jus wanting one tat feel good wen i take it for a ride and still hold resepct amongst the community, box hill is notorious for ricers, so mny azns so mny skylines :'(, and yeh sum guy got arrested for going over the speed limit =.= around box hill south too bad i wasnt there to c him get pinned

SiReal
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah well if u wanna fit in box hill, i would highly suggest getting a Toms TRD spec Racing N1 Toyota Echo or else a Mugen Spoon Toda master spec C Drag Motion Honda Jazz with Doraemon window hangers. I live right next to BH so I'm always there. i dont seem to see TOO many skylines. I spot more in Glen Waverley.

or perhaps a bombed out resprayed AE86 with kings springs, fat wheels, and a red bucket seat might be the flavour of the month?

Well, I support the sleeper movement. If you want 'respect', then dont get the conventional B16A cos most cars in BH will chop you (literally with a machete..hehe).. go the B18C route. Now that would be ****.

edit: btw if u wanted Rice, then Jade Hong Kong have some pretty good rice dishes. My favourite is the nasi goreng. Owns over HK cafe, New Age and Best food. Owns 100% over Star east anyday.

civicCXI
04-04-2006, 06:04 PM
from that link, there r different series of b18C, which one would suit ek1 better? There's a thread here about that but can't find it.

Rice_4_life
05-04-2006, 10:12 AM
lol i havent tried jade cafe only HK cafe nice stuff. I'm a honda fan, always will be. and toyota echos come on man, tats a chicks car, small and cute.. I'm jus a little confused over all the b18xx series which one is better you got the c1 c5 and so on so fourth, kinda confusin cos i want the best buy for my $$$ which i hope is around $5k-7k i noe you can get some pretty cheap k20's around and some expensive b18's around that range. But i'm lookin for somethin tat can be put into my engine bay without expensive mods to the actual bay itself, and wont drain the tank the moment i step on the pedal

Dylanamus
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
What civic did you say you had? Is it a b-series engine? If so, you could save a grand or more on engine mounts and bits and pieces if you were to avoid switching to k series and just got a b18c5 engine. You wouldn't "need" a halfcut as the Y1 tranny will bolt up to the b18c and the rest of the b series gismos work fine. I guess you don't have a b16a though hey haha B series has more aftermarket support, but K is newer and will probably see more support in the coming years. But no matter what a 1998+ model ITR half cut won't ever be cheaper than a b18c

civicCXI
05-04-2006, 11:20 AM
how hard and how is it to get engineers certificate? and what other paper stuffs need to be done?

Rice_4_life
06-04-2006, 09:07 PM
i wonder if i ordered a half cut could i put the front half into my lounge room so when i watch TV i can see the front half of an integra.. i like to dream :P if i do it im definately posting pics of it on this site ^^. Just wondering i've seen many pics of half cuts and they're all battered and not looking as good or even close to wot they used to be, anyone seen a better half cut??

mrwillz
06-04-2006, 09:59 PM
newb q'
wen u do an engine swap
wot about gearbox, use current one wif ne of the above listed by ahmie/

notorious_ahmie
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
newb q'
wen u do an engine swap

seriously id suggest changing ur gearbox to handle the extra power

ur stock Gli gearbox can only handle so much hehe u need a better gear box for better results

thats why wen u do an eng conversion, i rkn buy a half cut!!its the easiest thing to do, dont have the hassles for lookin for lil things that are rare and might be dodgy!!

Rice_4_life
07-04-2006, 09:57 AM
yea i plan on buyin a half cut from autotechrich.com ^^ i enjoy havin the front of an integra, that way i can place it anywhere in my house i want. Yea i am crazy. New question wots the diff wit the 4 stud and 5 stud version (on autotechrich site)??? cos im seriously lost got so many sites tell me so mny diff things ~.~

notorious_ahmie
07-04-2006, 11:36 AM
4 stud is the amount of studs on ur wheel la cause with the type Rs most came in 5 stud(think the early model ITR had 4 :S)

depends if u wanna go that way, if u wanna upgrade ur breaks(which i suggest u do) ull most likely do the 5 lug conversion cause they have bigger brakes on ITR's

but yeh i rkn put the half cut in ur room and if ur small enough, sleep in it as well hahah

Rice_4_life
07-04-2006, 12:27 PM
hehe not a bad idea, too bad dont think it'll happen. I'll prob jus put it in my lounge next to my tv and then mayb if im bored shitless with nuttin better to do buy new headlights and battery for it and mayb touch up the front lip.

^BuM_RaSh^
07-04-2006, 12:39 PM
on the same note r b20b/z legal to swap in australia? light truck motor into a car seems to be illegal in the states. ne1 clarify can? :wave:

notorious_ahmie
07-04-2006, 12:43 PM
skremn has a b20 with a type R head on

PM him and ask what he had to go through if ya want,

Zdster
07-04-2006, 12:48 PM
newb q'
wen u do an engine swap

Besides the extra power as notorious_ahmie, unless you are going from one d series to another, most gearboxes wont mate up (that being said, b series boxes will afix to b series engines - for the most part).

In regards to the brakes, I am pretty sure that most engineers wont pass a car that is receiving significantly more power without upgraded braking systems.

bennjamin
07-04-2006, 12:56 PM
4 stud is the amount of studs on ur wheel la cause with the type Rs most came in 5 stud(think the early model ITR had 4 :S)

depends if u wanna go that way, if u wanna upgrade ur breaks(which i suggest u do) ull most likely do the 5 lug conversion cause they have bigger brakes on ITR's

but yeh i rkn put the half cut in ur room and if ur small enough, sleep in it as well hahah

96 spec came with 4x114.3 stud pattern
later came with the 5x114.3 stud pattern.

IMO use the halfcut leftover as a Gran tursimo 4 simulator :D

notorious_ahmie
07-04-2006, 01:10 PM
if u can get the half cut car, do gran turismo as bren said..then all the melb ppl can come ova and have a GT day wooohoooo

Zdster
07-04-2006, 01:12 PM
That would be seriously cool - but back on topic, I dont think there is a specific list of engine swaps that are legal.

Rice_4_life
07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
lol yea i tried serachin for legal swaps came up blank as i usually do =.= me and google aint compactable anymore :'( .. hehe not a bad idea new revenue if i set up a gran truismo simulator woteva u call it. serious does the VTI civic 97 coupe use the b16? if tats the case a conversion to the b18 wouldnt b hard cos same block but jus a lil bit taller.

bennjamin
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
lol yea i tried serachin for legal swaps came up blank as i usually do =.= me and google aint compactable anymore :'( .. hehe not a bad idea new revenue if i set up a gran truismo simulator woteva u call it. serious does the VTI civic 97 coupe use the b16? if tats the case a conversion to the b18 wouldnt b hard cos same block but jus a lil bit taller.

the later b16a2 powered EM1 coupe came with a b16a2 stock - so all you woudl need is the engine / gearbox / driveshafts / mounts and ECU basically...

Rice_4_life
07-04-2006, 02:58 PM
ok well then im sold the b18 im goin for then. how muc horse power does the b18 dish out i got various sources tell me anywhere from 190 to 210 stock so im all over da place atm and i dont wanna get ripped, last thing i want is to be dishin $5.5-$6k on a dodgy fake. And any markings on the actual engine to out for to tell it authentic b18??

notorious_ahmie
08-04-2006, 12:37 PM
if u wanna get a b18 from it aus spec ITR...its got the eng code of B18C7 the aus vtir is B18C

Andw0o
08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
hi i have an ek1 and was wondering with this engine swap
id need the engine mounts of the ek4, im talking to friends who
dont know a thing abt hondas and what not, but they are talking
about sub frames which they say will cost ne where near 3g...
was just wondering wats the process of an engine transplant ne ways?
is it upgrading suspension and breaks. then changing the gear box
then transplanting the engine?
im eventually looking to put a b18c7 into the ek1 soo yeh thanks for the help