PDA

View Full Version : Deglazing rotors

Tones
04-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Tried to deglaze my rotors with some emery paper but was having no luck. So I took the rotors to a local mechanic to machine the discs. The service guy reckoned they wouldn't need machining if there was no squealing or shudder but he hadn't looked at the rotors yet when he commented. I asked them to machine the discs anyway as I want the brakes ready for the supersprint.

When brakes are glazed, should they be machined? Or can I use a deglazing tool like this: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/26862994

Slow96GSR
04-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I just use some 80-100 grit sand paper or a die grinder with a red disc, like 100-120 grit. Nothing fancy like that one, but it'll still work.

BlitZ
04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
what deglazingv ?
are you disc too smooth and it doesnt brake?

I thought u only deglaze brake pads.. never heard about it being done to the disc too

ECU-MAN
04-04-2006, 09:54 PM
ahh

put more elbow into it with the emery paper :)

I hated doing that, and would always recomend they macine the disk, as deglazing with emery paper only worked if you arm fell off from all the effort you put into it.

that tool would make a difference, but the problem is that they would glaze up again.

skimming the rotots to make sure they are true and not glazed is your best option for a long term positive result.

johnn
14-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I just had my rear discs machined.. as they were glazing.. The rear inner pads has this metal clip that was actually touching my discs causing this werid sound... I got them machined and NO more sound... also got new brake pads in the process..

sivic
14-04-2006, 09:16 PM
i think it would have been the new brake pads which fixed the sound lol

spanks
16-04-2006, 03:47 AM
I just had my rear discs machined.. as they were glazing.. The rear inner pads has this metal clip that was actually touching my discs causing this werid sound... I got them machined and NO more sound... also got new brake pads in the process..

This is priceless..lol...you should sell your story to Master Card...pmsl

VTC-8OY
16-04-2006, 02:52 PM
hehe john yea well.. that pin touching n sound is to tell u ur brake pads are gone, having the discs machined wont necessarily get rid of the sound, it would of been from ur new brake pads that made the sound stop...

Tones
16-04-2006, 07:33 PM
This is priceless..lol...you should sell your story to Master Card...pmsl

johnn, machining the rotors may or may not have fixed the squeaching sound. However, since you got new pads, machining the discs will ensure that your new pads have a perfectly flat friction surface for braking.

aaronng
17-04-2006, 07:32 PM
A perfectly flat surface with new pads means that the running in time fo the pads becomes longer. Ideally, you should use new pads on the old rotors and new rotors on the old pads for a short period before switching to the new parts.

kyle
17-04-2006, 11:42 PM
to make deglazing the discs easyer. Jack up the car, put it on jack stands, take off the wheels then start the car, put it in 5th and leave it idling. This way when your using your sand paper the rotating disc acts like a lathe.

NOTE: be sure to keep the paper moving as holding it in one spot can create a curve. So by keeping it moving in an inward then outward motion should be fine.

kyle
17-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Oh and please be careful, no one wants a finger in cought in a disc break while its spinning at 20km/h.