PDA

View Full Version : Servicing car outside dealers

Fizz
04-04-2006, 06:29 PM
If i service a car (which is still under new car warranty) at places other than the dealer service centre, can the dealer void my warranty? This is because there are places (eg. Repco and Ultratune) which offer "Logbook" servicing and its much cheaper than the prices at the dealer. These outlets claim their logbook service will not void my warranty, but im still not sure. can anyone shed some light on this? :confused:

Zdster
04-04-2006, 06:47 PM
As far as I understand (although I am not an authority on this) as long as genuine parts are used (ie the right oil and Honda parts) I dont think you should have to much trouble.

Usual Suspect
04-04-2006, 11:32 PM
It depends on the workshop really, as in individual ones, not the name it runs under. Some can be good, some can be absolute crap, and so can major dealerships. But if its still under warranty id rather be safe than sorry.

iamhappy46
05-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I know Ultratune are really good and your manufacturer warranty can not be made void, if serviced according to the handbook.

I get my X-Trail and SSS Pulsar serviced at Ultratune, My GF's gets her new Holden Astra serviced with them also.

Call the Department of Fair Trading or the Motor Vehicle Repair Industry Council if you have any other hesitations.

panda[cRx]
05-04-2006, 09:12 PM
i've heard horror stories about servicing form ultratune and places like that. people go to them to save some dosh.... then when their car is farked they run back crying to the dealers.

IF you insist on getting servcing done elsewhere i strongly suggest making sure only honda parts and fluids are used :)

KWICKS
05-04-2006, 09:21 PM
As long as the repair shop is an MTA member and the logbook is stamped and service schedule followed your warranty will be in tact - the manufacturers/dealers have no power to tell you where to get your car serviced - its your choice. And if you want to supply parts or consumables like oil that's your perogative too. Stock up on oil when SuperCheap or Autobarn has a sale and stop paying through the nose for dealer mark ups on crap oil. You can get Mobil 1 for what your being charged for mineral oil you know...

SLPJCooL
05-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Get yourself a Service Manual and D.I.Y

iamhappy46
05-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Service Manual & DYI would void the warranty instantly...

Speeder
06-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I have a friend in the motor mechanic industry, so i get my car serviced by them instead of dealerships. Also i can trust them over dealers anyday, never had a problem or a complaint.
Usually if the car is leased, the dealers have an agreement that you can only get the car serviced by the dealer.
But if you have any hesitation like someone said, best to call fair trading to make sure.

iamhappy46
06-04-2006, 12:33 AM
I am a mechanic(although a leg injury stops me from working) and I get my cars serviced at Ultratune because I hate general servicing on my own vehicles.

Not mind doing the performance 'fun' stuff but everything else is done at Ultratune because I trust them. They have all the diagnostic equipment and often have factory trained staff.

Basically, Ultratune get a big thumbs up from me...

www.ultratune.com.au

Tobster
06-04-2006, 09:37 AM
The general line with servicing outside of the dealer is so long as any parts used are of "equivalent or better quality" -- then there are no issues with warranty.

Zdster
06-04-2006, 11:06 AM
As every one else has said, as long as genuine Honda parts are used you should have no troubles.

I have also heard horrer stories about Ultratune but I guess it depends on which one you go through.