PDA

View Full Version : Flirting with idea of getting Prelude

Bownce
04-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Hey there guys.
I am flirting with the idea of selling my car or swapping for something more practical for my lifestyle. I currently have a honda civic, the pics below pretty much say it all.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28388

I live in the city and my work is 10 minute walk so the only time i drive my car is when I drive home to adelaide or the shops - hence the low km's.

Anyway I am thinking about something more comfortable / classy but dont want to spend a bucketload cos I dont drive much. (see above) I thought a prelude vti-R would be ideal choice. I am not a racer, and I am getting old so I want a bit of comfort - welcome Prelude VTIR. I dont mind if it is manual or tiptronic, and as long as it is in good condition like my car and relatively low km's then it would be a winner.

Like I said I am only flirting with the idea, but I want to know if these cars are reliable, comfortable to drive (my car is a screamer), still have a bit of performance, easy to maintain.

Sorry for the rant, but i just want to know if a prelude vti-R would suit my lifestyle. I really like my current car but I dont want to feel every small crack on the road anymore and want some comfort for my old bones.

bigteethygrin
04-04-2006, 10:05 PM
4th gen or 5th gen?

Bownce
04-04-2006, 10:18 PM
updated title

vtek
05-04-2006, 12:22 AM
I really like my current car but I dont want to feel every small crack on the road anymore and want some comfort for my old bones.

Maybe something like the 94 CD5 vti or Vtis accord is more for you? Its hard to find a low milage 94-96 Prelude Vtir and I wouldnt say its the most practicle car to drive. Why dont you test drive them and try it for yourself?

Menthu Rae
05-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Reliable - 5th gen, yes, VERY, so long as you get manual.

*However* if the engine has been mistreated, and poorly maintained - you will find that the valve stem seals, and possibly the oil rings - will have problems.

Valve stem seals ~600+ to replace incl labour, oil rings... well that's an engine rebuild!

Auto 5th gens have issues with the transmission, supposed to have been rectified post '99... however some people with later models still have problems!

Sign up on preludeaustralia.com and have a browse and a read of previous threads =) or if you want any specific questions you can add me to MSN and i'm happy to answer from my experience and knowledge ^_^

Bownce
05-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Menthu Rae - Awesome post, very informative. Thank you very much! :)

saleeb
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
i have an 99 atts, it's quite comfortable to drive, little stiff suspension but not bad. they're nice cars to drive with a fair bit of performance. but depends what u want as it may be too racey. The advantage of the vti is that under normal driving conditions it's very easy to drive but above 5k it takes off which makes it much easier to drive than other cars of similar performace.

racinghonda
05-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah I think you will like the 5th gen VTiR. It has climate control air/con, moonroof, its very quiet and refined, cruise control, handles very well and the engine is powerful yet tractable. It has a lot of torque so driving it is easy, you don't have to constantly row it through the gears and yet, after 5000 there is a pronounced power increase from Vtec. Since you don't drive it that much, I would go with the manual, I think you will have a lot more fun with that, its also quite a lot quicker.

Bownce
05-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah I think you will like the 5th gen VTiR. It has climate control air/con, moonroof, its very quiet and refined, cruise control, handles very well and the engine is powerful yet tractable. It has a lot of torque so driving it is easy, you don't have to constantly row it through the gears and yet, after 5000 there is a pronounced power increase from Vtec.

Awesome...thats the sort of info im after. Very helpful...thank you
:thumbsup:

industrie
05-04-2006, 06:56 PM
whether you want a manual or tiptronic doesnt matter...the manual is like 0.5 seconds quicker if both raced down a 1/4 mile...anyhow the 5th gen prelude would be the go...it has comfort and performance and the design is classy...look for a 99 model and above..theres a few on the market so its a good time to buy...

97 models had a few transmission problems but only a few...the price will be around 17k-24k for a decent prelude with average km's...always test drive it...the main thing is service history make sure its been looked after...

www.preludeaustralia.com

do a search and you will find all the information you need! good luck!

Tarks
05-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey dude, I was in the same boat as you not too long ago and ended up buying a 98 vtir in auto/tiptronic.

If you want a car for everyday driving and not looking to mod up too much, an auto 5th gen is def the way to go. Its very comfortable to drive and you'll never get sick of driving it. Even if you feel like a lil speed kick, just chuck it in tip mode and put ur foot down...The vtec pull is still pretty crazy in these cars.

Also, whether you get leather or not for interior, it is still quite a classy and comfortable car to be in and drive. It comes standard with cruise control, climate control, cd stacker in the boot so no need to fuss with changin cds, great stock stereo system, sunroof, electric windows, and flashy lil carbon fibre inserts here and there on the inside. Something I noticed also was that the steering wheel is quite comfortable to work with and steers good too.

One down side would be the turning circle on these cars, and the fact that it weighs alot. Also in tip mode it can tend to be laggy sometimes.

Car looks great, feels great to drive for an everyday car and has quite abit of power too. pre 99 models come with 143KW and post 99 have 147KW, but not much difference really. The H22A is a great engine to work with if your looking to mod it up, but then you should really get a manual.

Anything else you want answered, as others have said, sign up to preludeaustralia.com and search away :)

-Tarks

Bownce
05-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Everyone has been very helpful. I really appreciate it guys :)