PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to split a brand new cv boot?

sharky
04-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Ive just noticed a lot of grease that has built up on the drivers side wheel. Just so you know my teg has a heavy duty clutch and the other day i shifted with the rev's up and chirped the wheels which sent a shudder down the car. Could this have done the cv boot? I just had the cv boot replaced so what are some other possible problems?

Serious answers ppl, dont contribute if you dont know.

ECU-MAN
04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
no the flat shift would not cause the boot to split

if it a new boot, it should last ages, like 5 years or so.

unless its a super nasty cheap ass boot

I have only ever seen boots fail from
or if the boot was put on the wrong CV causing it ti constatly rub.

sharky
04-04-2006, 11:03 PM
yep, thats what i thought. I had a mate replace it at his work shop (2nd year aprentice). Ill take it back to him, get him to take a look. Theres a sh*t load of grease on the inside of the rim, a very thick coating.

ECU-MAN
04-04-2006, 11:05 PM
you will have to pack the joint with grease again

sharky
04-04-2006, 11:49 PM
ya i know, im gonna limit my driving till i can get it to him. Its a good thing its not the middle of summer and a bit wet. It'll kinda help reduce the speed the joint dry's out. Bloody car, nothin but trouble these days...time for a type s or an S2000 ;)

LUDA-3G
05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
yeah thats definately the cv boot. I had one replaced a few weeks back. Maybe he didnt fit it properly. Is your car lowered? If so apparently that throws the drive shaft out of alignment or somethin, so chirping the wheels is definately not good for it

ECU-MAN
05-04-2006, 09:36 PM
chirping the wheels wil have no impact on a CV boot.

cornering is what puts maximum stress on a CV boot.