PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to change mufflers?

kentris
06-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Managed to grab myself a free tanabe exhaust off my uncle for my honda jazz, i think it is just the muffler end part.

I'm just wondering how hard is it to change the muffler yourself? I was going to get someone to do it for me for like £30 but not sure because if it's straight on bolt, then i can save myself £30.

What kind of tools do I need? Will it be hard to try and remove the stock bolts to fit in the new one? Will i need to do some testing like for emissions ? or is that not needed since i'm not changing the cat?.

cdpfxz
06-04-2006, 10:29 AM
depends if the exhaust is cat-back and will bolt on to the existing cat, if so then u could unbolt ur existing one (not too hard) then bolt-on the new one! if not, then it would require a bit of welding, so i'd only suggest to do that if ur pretty good with a welder!

nic

Zdster
06-04-2006, 11:19 AM
When you say "just the muffler" is there any piping attached to it? If so, at the end of the piping will be a flange. If all of this is attached then it is simply a matter of lifting the car up, unbolting the current exhaust and bolting the new one on. All you will need is a set of sockets.

If there is no attached piping then you will need to have someone (like a good exhaust shop) weld a pipe and flange onto the muffler and then have that bolted on.

Hope that helps.