PDA

View Full Version : wheels scraping guards

G-Stick
06-04-2006, 10:53 AM
hi guys

i just got tein SS a few weeks ago and my wheels are scraping the guards wen ever turnin at abit fast and wenever i hit bumps on the rd. its about a half finger gap in the front and no finger gap in the back. my damper is set at 15 clicks from the left.

my front tyres are starting to get ripped in the middle as the guard bit there has ripped open and now showing this metal piece thats slowly is cutting my tyres wen i hit bumps.

My question is that if i go from 215/40/17 (current) to 205/40/17 would this help minimize the scraping happening wen i am turning or should i downgrade to 16s.

any suggestions would be much apreciated guys

Cheers
Duy

DomenEK
06-04-2006, 11:45 AM
I got the same problem on 205/40/17s. So no, it won't help.

I tried to get it fixed by modifying the guards/plastic, but the problem is that either my springs (King super-lows) are too soft, or I need to get it raised by about 10mm....

So my suggestion is that since you have coilovers, it wouldn't be hard to raise the height by 10mm, cause it'd hardly be noticeable in terms of looks, but it would solve your problem. I'll need to get new springs for mine - I really wish I went for coilovers :( ...

newmski
06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
u have adjustable coilovers....adjust them. getting smaller height tyres will help you but honestly just easier to raise slightly. with my koni coilovers i found that about a finger and a half ish is good for street. i only scrape gaurds if i go crazy around a tight corner then hit a great big bump.

G-Stick
06-04-2006, 12:53 PM
ok thanks guys i was just out side rasing my rear and now come back to this... god damn i have to go back outside in the cold.

anymore suggestions?
does anyone know where i can get my guards flared in melb??

LowEk
06-04-2006, 03:48 PM
you need to cut your inner guard out abit. that seam that is cutting your tyre in half you need to cut it about every inch or so and bang it up with a hammer all the way along as far as you can the put your inner guard back in and use a stanly knife to cut where it is rubbing out of the inner guard. ill try take some pics and show you what i have done it still scrubs a little bit thats its only on uneven surfaces and its only outer guard anyway.

G-Stick
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
i know wat u mean about banging in the seam with the hammer i only managed to do half of it as the rest of it is blocked by the disc break etc. ill try to further do it tomorrow. mine rubs the inner side as well and its rubbing the bear metal...

LowEk
06-04-2006, 05:05 PM
yeh mine does the same cant help that.

joyride
07-04-2006, 08:10 AM
15mm wheel spacers.. its illegal in NSW, dunno about VIC