PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions (eg6 si-R)

SoundStreamer
23-04-2004, 02:02 AM
new to the forums and after abit of info as there is alot of conflicting info.
car in question is a:
1992 eg6? si-r civic.
1.6 dohc vtec....correct?
170hp or about 125kw....correct?

how hard are these cars to come by? any major problems with these cars? how much should i be paying? average km's?

are they that much better than a si?
anyone have accurate performance figures?

INSURANCE.....anyone in sydney under 25 have one insured? how much are you paying? and with who?

ive tried looking through as much as i can...forum doesnt seem to have a search function? (okay found the search function! quite alot of info!, although any other general info would be greatly apprreciated)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

VTEC16
23-04-2004, 02:50 AM
Its an import - insurance isnt gonna like you. And they are rare too!

yes they do have the 1.6 DOHC VTEC (B16A).....and it would be jap spec, but im not sure whether the '92 models had 160 or 170hp (oz spec B16As all had 160hp)

...but from the sticky in the 'civic/crx' section:

Civic SiR
Released: 1989-1991
Engine: 1.6L DOHC VTEC 16 valve 118kW@7400RPM
Weight: Manual only = 1,030kg with sunroof
Brakes: 4 wheel discs (ABS optional)
Features: Power windows, mirrors, A/C, power steering, redesigned engine bay and nose cone, LSD optional
Models: Hatch only.

....so i dunno if that means there is no '92 sir....or that the '92 sir is different etc etc

and YES! - we certainly do a have search function!

Welcome to OH - enjoy your stay! ....introduce yourself in the intro section.

cheers mate,

mike

[[d a n n y]]
23-04-2004, 08:01 AM
ok mate..

if ur in sydney good luck

cuz u cant have it in NSW rego

and u really cant comply the car here...

close u can come by is a conversion which i have done of a 94 EG6 SIR-II

and added all theses bits and pieces IE OEM LIP and the LED FACTORY WING

and so the insurance it'll b much as a VTIR i guess cuz i pay for 1.9g's currently for my car

any more questions feel free to ask

VTEC 16
oh and by the way it's EG6 91-95 SIR and SIR-ll

the SIR ur talking about is the EF9 SIR

A'PEXi
23-04-2004, 03:02 PM
how hard are they to come by? i think there was one advertised on car sales.... and one a while back, like 6months or so ago on performance forums..... the car was in melbourne though.....

your better off buying a ek vti-r as they are easier to find.

SoundStreamer
24-04-2004, 01:22 AM
danny...i am in sydney, are you in sydney?
who are you insured with and what age are you?
1.9g for insurance is ok :D beats paying 3g currently for my dc2r.
how much we looking at for a full conversion?. if they cant be regoed in sydney i guess i will have no choice but to go si.
im after a car with semi decent performance, but i want it to be a handling beast...aim is to handle better than dc2r...am i dreaming?

mo
24-04-2004, 01:41 AM
danny...i am in sydney, are you in sydney?
who are you insured with and what age are you?
1.9g for insurance is ok :D beats paying 3g currently for my dc2r.
how much we looking at for a full conversion?. if they cant be regoed in sydney i guess i will have no choice but to go si.
im after a car with semi decent performance, but i want it to be a handling beast...aim is to handle better than dc2r...am i dreaming?

Danny = Sydney

Cost of conversion = Can't measure as about 1/2 of the work was done in the korean workshop (aka this own place)

NSW has really strict laws regarding imports...

Toby
24-04-2004, 05:13 PM
I found one for sale! click the link.......

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=86934&curre nt_rec=7&total_rec=222&sort_type=&make_id=19&model _id=74&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

mo
24-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Besides it looking ricey, Would have to go check it out to see if it really is a SiR or not.

skoota
24-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Very ugly EG IMO - be quick though...

Setanta
27-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Ok, the EG6 is a SiR. It is 170ps (about 167bhp). It is NOT 170bhp.

They are an infinitely better car than the Si in terms of power and the JDM goodies that got left off our versions.

The only way an EG6 can enter the country is as a private import or a "rebuild".

If a private import, it will be complianced etc - you need the paperwork though.

If a rebuild, you can register it in Vic, but not if you live in NSW, Vic roads and the RTA get shitty about that sort of thing. You can NOT register a rebuild in NSW... in theory. If found out, it may end up being crushed as it has not entered the country legally under NSW laws.

You can NOT insure a rebuild in NSW. It is not legal for it to be registered therefore NO insurance companies will touch it as the insurance will be voided once the RTA etc find out. Ring around and ask, they will tell you the same thing. In Vic they are quite chary of insuring them too.

I looked at buying an EF8 CRX SiR rebuild and gave up after all that research.

Cheers

Setanta
27-04-2004, 12:10 AM
BTW - if you look at the Civic in that car sales ad, first they say its a Si, then a SiR.

It also mentions having a turbo timer (WTF!!!!?)

My guess is it's BS.

SIKCVC
27-04-2004, 12:43 AM
damn... nuts to you guys in NSW :P

That EG has an SiR Dash and cluster... notice the auto climate control and also rear LED "wing".

But the add does sound BS... Poor cars probs been thrashed and treated like shit :(

b16a_integra
27-04-2004, 10:25 AM
just a quick question, what if you bought a eg si-r from VIC that was done as a rebuild, can you then by it and register it in NSW, or does that rule still apply. theres gotta be away to get around that law for you guys in NSW, if you had some family or friends in VIC you could ask them if you can keep it insured and registered at their address, that would work right???

Setanta
27-04-2004, 11:20 AM
In NSW, a "rebuild" is illegal and can't be registered. I thought I'd made that pretty clear.

It is also illegal to not register your car in the state you live in. If they find out then you are fined and a demand to have the car rego'd in NSW happens. The cops do keep tabs etc as does the RTA. On insurance, if you state that the car is garaged in a place that you know is incorrect (eg: claiming its in Vic when its in NSW) then you void any claim - the insurance will check and if they see a reason to deny a claim, they will, regardless of how much you have paid to them.

[[d a n n y]]
27-04-2004, 01:28 PM
NSW sucks ****...it laws r hm..pretty damn crap

and for the cost of my conversion

around 5g's for parts and tuning..

2.6g's halfcut
200bucks for LCA
100for fuel tank
100for FUEL lines
700bucks for new dizzy
oil brake fuild etc etc 100 +
filters and so on 50+
tuning service and new brake lines and inpection and enginerrs certificate
1.2g's( the brake lines on my car was rusted )

time for the conversion : 3months...
result:priceless.....to see the looks on other drivers : ITR's SS XR8 and so on...

VTEChnique
27-04-2004, 02:23 PM
http://private.carsales.com.au/photos/167166.jpg

it has the JDM climate control and gauge cluster.. but all the JDM goodness has been removed and replaced with RICE crap !!

http://private.carsales.com.au/photos/167169.jpg
Though this photo reveals the JDM cargo-area with storage bin.. hmmm I want one of these !!! woth it just for the cargo-area IMO hahaha ohh no I think I have chronic JDM fever hahaha

I HATE that front bar.. urghhh

if you can find a low km's SiR private import and it is in good condition - buy it !!

Setanta
27-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Doesn't need to be low km's on it really, my EF9 SiR is now up to 267,000 kms on it's original B16A as of returning from Vic yesterday. Still going strong and not chewing oil :)

My top radiator hose started to die when I was there, it now has a new one courtesy of a '85 SOHC corolla (parts locating is a bitch). Other things that have gone on it were the main relay (resoldered and now working as new), new radiator (old one was damaged), tyres, drivers side front brake hose, master cylinder and it's up for new front roters and pads.

Not bad for a 14 y.o. car with the milage on it. :)

[[d a n n y]]
27-04-2004, 05:36 PM
hahah it could b worse pete.. :D

SIKCVC
27-04-2004, 05:50 PM
yep JDM rear cargo and JDM front head rests :P well tell you what... at least My car has rear head rests :P and some form of Seat mould for passenger comfort in the rear :P SiR's didn't have that.

The rear cargo lost a fair bit of space on the Si's and doesn't appear to have the stereo options the Si's came out with either.

Doesn't matter SiR's still better than my Si.

[[d a n n y]]
27-04-2004, 05:59 PM
when u finish ur conversion u'll have the best of both cars

SIKCVC
27-04-2004, 06:21 PM
:P hope so :P

I dont get why they took out so much stuff the Si had... I mean they made one hell of a car with the SiR but yeah. maybe after a minimalistic, racier approach.

madgrk
27-04-2004, 06:22 PM
:maybe after a minimalistic, racier approach.

Got it in one

SoundStreamer
27-04-2004, 07:10 PM
wow has this thread grown or what?.....the blue ricey sir is gone. i wouldve bought it anyways even though it's rice...and im sure alot of you will agree, that's the only one ive seen for sale in about a month.

what i have found is a black eg with b18 in melb

white eg with b16 in wa

im considering different options, i dont think a conversion will be on the cards, i will keep it however it comes, for now at least.

im doing the patient approach waiting for a bargain, my itr going to have nrma inspection tomorrow and if all is good will be sold. So i could be carless for a while.

will more than likely go for si, although the black eg in melb sounds like an animal, anyone know how much transport will cost? hahah maybe a fly down drive home might work :). Can anyone think of any registration issues with this car? ie. if engineered in melb will it still be driveable in sydney without additional paperwork?

thanks for the info so far, very informative
thanks all

madgrk
27-04-2004, 07:16 PM
One thing about the B18 in the Black EG. It has no air con :( I was seriously considering it, but once I heard that I changed my mind. Could be a great car for you though :)

Oh he also said he has the air con kit so give him a call if you like. He had offers of around 12K

Theo

SoundStreamer
27-04-2004, 07:53 PM
air con kit? does this mean that air con can be installed without a problem? i will give him a call once the sale of my car is finalised, i hate looking or enquiring about cars when im not yet able to buy yet hehe you feel more in a negoitiating position when you have cash.

has anyone looked at the car or know about its condition? i think he said 45k is that just the engine? or total life of the car?

man that would be an ideal replacement for my itr. followed by alot of handling mods. wooo hooo

once again...anyone know if there will be any problems registering this car in nsw?

madgrk
27-04-2004, 08:16 PM
The car has been registered in Vic with the B18. The air con can be put in, so that isnt a problem (so he told me). The odometer reads 50,xxx k's on it, but the owner is unsure of the life of the engine (could be less, never know!).

All in all it sounds like an ok deal, but remember it will need some things for RWC (Blue slip or whatever it is in NSW lol).

Tyres, springs (too low), and possibly a windscreen he said :D

Would make an awesome replacement to your ITR :D

SiR JDM
12-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Im doing an Si-R conversion to my 92 Breeze. I havn't actually bought the car yet, waiting for insurance money.. so should be here by the end of the week. Ive already got the engine from a friend whos taking it out of a JDM Si-R.

I dind't check to see if my car has Air Con.. can that be installed easy enough? If the guy still has the Si-R Climate Control, can that be put into a EG3 body easily?

btw, the civic above doesn't have the JDM style Seats found in the Si-Rs
http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/c0/75/66_1_sb.JPG <-- these seats, its hard to see exactly, but you can see the difference imediatly