07-04-2006, 04:30 PM
just wanted 2 make sure of sumthin...
when swapping a B18C into an LS, things that should also b changed include:
wiring loom
gearbox?
brakes?
OBD? OBD2?
anything else?
does the gearbox have to b changed or would the standard LS safice?
cheers

integral90
07-04-2006, 07:01 PM
i think the B18C weighs more than the B18A, so anything to do with suspension would have to be altered. most of what you said seems right, and the gearbox should (is b18c cable or hydro?)

wkdteg
07-04-2006, 07:10 PM
i think the B18C weighs more than the B18A, so anything to do with suspension would have to be altered. most of what you said seems right, and the gearbox should (is b18c cable or hydro?)

well... i drove a gsi on sat, and that was a hydro, so i would assume a vtir (b18c) would b hydro aswell. the LS is cable, which is y i wasnt sure if the tranny needed 2 b changed or not.
as for the weight issue, im not 100% sure if the b18c weighs more than the b18a. i would assume they would b the same weight, as the displacement is the same.
the weight difference between the LS and the vtir is roughly 30-40kgs (vtir is more) total, and i would think that it would b due to the airbags and all the safety features.

the point of the thread is that im lookin at an LS thats up for sale 2moro, which has had the b18c conversion done, but i wanna know that everything has been done correctly, so i need 2 know wat would of had 2 b changed for the car to run properly.
cheers

Dtegra
08-04-2006, 02:26 AM
need to change gearbox aswell..

wkdteg
08-04-2006, 02:28 AM
so wat if the gear box hasnt been changed?
or wouldnt it b possible at all for the engine to bolt up?

Dtegra
08-04-2006, 02:29 AM
gear box jus wudnt hold up thats all trust me go hydro much easier then keepin same

SKREMN
08-04-2006, 02:06 PM
the only differance with the box it the ratio
ls box will have vtec dropping in and out with shifts

I got ITR internals in my cable box they are the same, just differance operations for the clutch

the box bolts up the same
and a hydro cable concerter could be fitted if not just a b16 box will do well
wiring loom doent have to be changed only added extra wires for vtec
obd1 conversion is the best to have
the b18c and b18 is very simular blocks and the waight will be the same

you would like bigger brakes to help with the stopping power now that there is more accelaration but not essential

string
09-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Thats rediculous. You don't see people "altering" suspension every time they put something in the boot.

integral90
09-04-2006, 07:08 PM
yeah, putting something in the boot of a car is a little bit different to changing an engine.

Mr_will
19-06-2006, 02:26 PM
yeah, putting something in the boot of a car is a little bit different to changing an engine.

for the purpose of his argument, no it isnt
the point being made is that just because the front MAY be slightly heavier doesnt mean you have to 'alter' anything to do with this suspension.
do you change your suspension when you have a passenger in the car? would you change it if you gained weight?

Zilli
19-06-2006, 02:38 PM
probably not if i gained weight, but depending on how much difference you might find that the handling chracteristics of the car change slightly.

Probably not in this case because i don't imagine the difference to be more than 10kg's (correct me if im wrong), but in some instances it might be worthwhile compensating. f you added a motor that was 50kg more than the standard one, youll find the car will understeer more with the extra weight out the front of the car

Mr_will
19-06-2006, 02:44 PM
probably not if i gained weight, but depending on how much difference you might find that the handling chracteristics of the car change slightly.

Probably not in this case because i don't imagine the difference to be more than 10kg's (correct me if im wrong), but in some instances it might be worthwhile compensating. f you added a motor that was 50kg more than the standard one, youll find the car will understeer more with the extra weight out the front of the car

agreed. you dont see bmw doing anything other than stiffening the dampers slightly between cars such as the 318i and 330i (2.0l 4cylinder vs 3.0l straight 6), and theyre pretty well regarded in terms of being a decent handling 4 door.