PDA

View Full Version : Matching paintwork

stevharr
08-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Bit of a Rooky question: If I wanted to change any part of the bodywork on my S, for example the bonnet, would the new one match the rest of the paintwork exactly? (I am assuming that the chemical composition of silverstone paint is exacting).

Being six years old the paint may have changed in appearance somewhat, although it has been very well looked after and garaged most of the time.

toE
08-04-2006, 06:49 PM
I think it depends more on the workmanship of the spray painter.

stevharr
09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I think it depends more on the workmanship of the spray painter.

so basically it isn't possible to get matching parts "off the shelf"?

toE
09-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh...off the shelf?
Hmm...I think most off the shelf parts would not be painted, except if you're buying from Honda :p

But then again...I could be wrong :)

AusS2000
10-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Parts like the OEM front lip, spoiler and side strakes come pre-painted and match reasonably well because they aren't a smooth transition from one surface to another. If you were to buy a bonnet in silverstone I doubt it would match very well.

I take it there is some background to this question. Your wastegate is close to the bonnet. It hasn't damaged it has it? Or is this an oil cooler issue like mine? I have a vented CF hood which will be painted to match the car.

stevharr
10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I take it there is some background to this question. Your wastegate is close to the bonnet. It hasn't damaged it has it? Or is this an oil cooler issue like mine? I have a vented CF hood which will be painted to match the car.

Well... I want to replace the front lip because when I let my misses drive it in the Hunter Valley she managed to scrape it along the ground taking a dip onto the road too quickly :eek:
But I'd also like to let more air under the bonnet for cooling when I fit the oil cooler (with a bit of help ;) ).

AusS2000
10-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Simplest thing is to cut out the faux airvents. This will feed more air into the engine bay.

Let me know when you have that cooler.

stevharr
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Simplest thing is to cut out the faux airvents. This will feed more air into the engine bay.

Let me know when you have that cooler.

I assume the faux airvents are the small recesses at either extreme at the bottom of the bumper?
I am getting some money back from revhard for the manifold and FMU, so I'll use that to buy an oil cooler kit. So It'll probably be in June after I get back from the UK.

AusS2000
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Them's the ones.

http://s2000.byteserve.com.au/images/airducts/Photo Library - 488.jpg
http://s2000.byteserve.com.au/images/airducts/Photo Library - 489.jpg
http://s2000.byteserve.com.au/images/airducts/Photo Library - 490.jpg

spanks
12-04-2006, 12:19 AM
No the paint won't match..your paint will of faded slightly and for perfect paint match,all panels pretty much have to be painted with the same batch of paint.But it can be done to closly match if by a good painter :cool: