PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find it hard to get into reverse?

nugget666
09-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I sometimes find that my car dosnt like reverse and is hard to get in sometimes.

its a ek1 sedan,

anyways around the problem? what could be causing it? gear box only has 45,xxx kms

ECU-MAN
09-04-2006, 07:56 PM
things that help

take your foot of the brake if your on level ground then select R

or

go into 1st then select R\

or

clutch out of gear into N, then release clutch and clutch again for R

this is like a nature of the beast thing.

its pointless spending money on fixing this as you will find your back in this position very soon

its not a bad thing. Honda boxes use straight cut gears with shamphered edges with out synchro's for Revers

mrwillz
09-04-2006, 08:12 PM
yea bit weird reverse gear
the method of going back to gear 1 then try reverse agen seems to work pretty well

dw its a comon civci probem as it seems
ur all good
also wen im n hills i tend to clutch start jus in case

Vivski
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I've had reverse trouble on both Civics I've owned. Dont force it, just wait until it'll go in nicely. I find that if I put it in 3rd then reverse, it goes in without complaints.

MoonSha
10-04-2006, 09:13 AM
I generally go Fourth then Reverse. If you put it in neutral, let out the clutch then put it into reverse it usually crunches hard. More likely to go in though.

DomenEK
10-04-2006, 09:26 AM
I've had reverse trouble on both Civics I've owned. Dont force it, just wait until it'll go in nicely. I find that if I put it in 3rd then reverse, it goes in without complaints.
I agree with this. I've gotten into the habit of going into 3rd before I put it into reverse everytime - always goes in smoothly when I do this.

It's just a slight glitch with the civics.

Andrew21
10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
What "MoonSha" said.

Go into 4th then put it into reverse. Works 100% everytime for me.
Dont worri its not ur box happens in alot of cars as ECU-MAN explained....

nugget666
10-04-2006, 11:57 AM
o ok. i will try that .

I have noticed that come to think of it. If i just come out a omving forawrd gear. reverse is easy to go into.

but if i just turn the car on reverse can be a bitch.

51REK
10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I've found the same problem but all i do is clutch in try and go into reverse back into neutral clutch out then back in goes straight into reverse no probs. Don't know why you'd go to the bother of selecting another gear :P

brumby
11-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Two solutions

First: As already posted, put it in 3rd or 4th and then into reverse.

Two: Put it in neutral - blip throttle - into reverse.

The second ALWAYS works on my old Civic GL. If you try going straight into reverse in many cars, especially if the revs are up at all, its going to grind on you.

todaek9
11-04-2006, 09:11 PM
hmm..u sure you fully pressed in the clutch pedal???

BrianC
11-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I used to have this problem too. Till i was roaming through the handbook and i stumbled across this page that said 'the car must be totally stationary before u engage reverse' ever since that, its never crunched. Basically just make sure uve stopped for atleast a second before engaging reverse. Even if ur reversing down a slope, stop first for a second, before u put it into reverse.

wOlfee
12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
yeh my Si has same problem annoying sumtimes when it takes few mins of fkn around to get it to go in!

iced
13-04-2006, 09:00 PM
i think its because reverse has no syncromesh

aaronng
13-04-2006, 09:05 PM
i think its because reverse has no syncromesh
Yup, no synchros, so it grinds when you are moving, and also the gear is straight cut, so you will find yourself with a "teeth on teeth" situation. Just put it into some other gear and then back into reverse.

|N|
13-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Yup, no synchros, so it grinds when you are moving, and also the gear is straight cut, so you will find yourself with a "teeth on teeth" situation. Just put it into some other gear and then back into reverse.

i go into 2nd everytime b4 i go in reverse... neva have issue with crunching

NightKids
14-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Yeah i've got the same problem. Now i put it in gear 1 before reverse & it stops the crunches, but that still doesn't help with reverse slotting in. I wonder if a different gear would make it easier.... ?

EuroDude
14-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah same thing happens with my Civic and Euro. Its the same for all manual cars isnt it?

To enter reverse I always:

bring the car to a halt
let it sit in neutral for 2 seconds
chuck it in reverse
if it doesnt go in, either blip the throttle, or put it in 1st gear first.

Would be nice if Honda implemented some kind of synchronization mechanism for reverse...

Qik_B20
14-04-2006, 03:06 PM
had the same problem with my crx though i always move forward a touch and then put it into reverse again.

was recommended to use castrol syntrans oil in the gearbox and that seemed to have fixed the problem

Vivski
15-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Actually, I quite like the way my EG VTi handles it... I can tell when it's going to crunch by only applying a little pressure. If there's resistance, it's going to crunch so I chuck it in another gear then try again. And then when there's no resistance I keep pushing and it goes in smooth as can be.

socheeriosbro
16-04-2006, 06:13 PM
if none of these things work try actually turning the engine off and starting it in reverse works for me :idea: :)

ErazeR
18-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Syncros mate

ECU-MAN
18-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Syncros mate

revers has no Syncros dude