PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Changing lights on the steering wheel

ngupil
10-04-2006, 01:42 AM
I've been trying to search this on 3 different forums, and so far nothing came out. Correct me if i'm wrong, but does the euro my03 and my04 have any light on the audio and cruise control button in the steering wheel??

Is there anyone has managed to try to change the ugly orange light on the steering wheel to white or blue?? can it be done?? I just feel bored looking at the color of the lights and it doesnt seem to match with the speedo meter which is predominantly white.

yfin
10-04-2006, 06:38 AM
I've been trying to search this on 3 different forums, and so far nothing came out. Correct me if i'm wrong, but does the euro my03 and my04 have any light on the audio and cruise control button in the steering wheel??

Is there anyone has managed to try to change the ugly orange light on the steering wheel to white or blue?? can it be done?? I just feel bored looking at the color of the lights and it doesnt seem to match with the speedo meter which is predominantly white.

03,04 has no lights on steering wheel. Never bothered me - after 2 weeks of driving the car even blind Freedy should know what button does what on the wheel without looking.

Not sure what you are talking about re orange light on steering wheel - is that an 05 thing?

ngupil
10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
what i mean is similar with the air con controller. if you turn on the low/high beam, the air con controller button will light up in the dash. in the my05 and up models, the buttons on the steering wheel also illuminate when u turn the low/high beam on. is there anyway to change the bulbs inside it?

EuroDude
11-04-2006, 10:08 PM
I didnt notice they even lit up - they are greenish/lime on the '06 euros by the way.

You would think they use an LED instead of a bulb, but who knows.

Surely there is a way to remove the button assemblies without fiddling with the srs airbag, have you tried gently prying the button assemblies off? Or maybe there are screws going through the back of the steering wheel.

ngupil
11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
i dont want to take the risk the airbag hitting my face in a short range. it will feel like mike tyson's punch me in the face from a short distance. although, if someone already done it, i'll take the risk tho, coz someone has already been a guinea pig :) but since i think no one has done it, i'll try after my mid semester exam tommorow :(

Pup
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
the likelyhood of the air bag going off without the sensor on some side of the car being activated would be highly unlikely.
The wireing would run directly up the steering coloum and straight into the airbag storage compartment not to the sides where the cruise control and radio control buttons are.

But in the highly unlikely event it does go off, let us know how it feels to suddenly get slamed into your seat!

EuroDude
12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah I doubt they will go off unless you short the srs circuit.

I had a quick look and there are holes at the rear of the wheel behind the plastic button assemblies, but I couldnt grab hold of any screw using a philips head screw driver.

It looks like you need to remove the loose plastic cover at the back first, then there should be a screw holding the button assemblies on. Remove the screw(s) and the button assembly should pop out revealing the bulb/LED's

ngupil
13-04-2006, 02:41 AM
thanks dude
i'll look into it tommorow :)