PDA

View Full Version : Adding Vtec to Integra Gsi...

anfz
10-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Hey guys say i Buy a honda integra Gsi is it possible to add vtec to that ? Im just wondering does the whole engine need to be changed or is it just one part or hows does that work ? thx

BrianC
10-04-2006, 06:04 PM
engine swap
Just buy a type r :thumbsup:

anfz
10-04-2006, 06:23 PM
yeah i wish if only i had the money,how much does an engine swap cost and where do you usually buy them from ?

Slow96GSR
10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
You would have to swap the heads, do some wiring and some other stuff I can't think of. It would be easier to do a full swap in my opinion.

Zdster
10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
If you are thinking about an engine swap, I would suggest that you start researching. By the time that you were to install and engine that had vtec and legalised the car (plus upgraded brakes etc for the increase in power) you might as well bought a type r (unless you are after a completely personalised car).

Zdster
10-04-2006, 06:34 PM
You would have to swap the heads, do some wiring and some other stuff I can't think of. It would be easier to do a full swap in my opinion.

A 'mini-me' swap is not that bad (in terms of cost/time/difficulty), but does have some negatives (never really researched it though).

tinkerbell
10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
um, it is called a "LS/VTEC" Zdster..

a mini me is a D series head swap...

but anyways!

oh, and comments on "may as well have bought a type R" are not really useful either...

anfz - VTEC can be added to a GSi for around 2-3 thousand, depending who does the work...

i.e backyard DIY job = $1500 vs workshop installed = $3000...

anfz
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
thx tinkerbell whats the best place to start or go to ?

tinkerbell
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
oh, and a FULL engine swap would be 5000 - 8000 depending on where you got it done...

tinkerbell
10-04-2006, 06:57 PM
thx tinkerbell whats the best place to start or go to ?

fill out your location in your profile and i'd be able to help ;)

PLUS

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?

and type in "engine swap"

will give a few places...

anfz
10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Im in melb dude also are the amount of fees the same whether you buy private or go dealer like stamp duty transfers etc ?

Zdster
10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
um, it is called a "LS/VTEC" Zdster..

a mini me is a D series head swap...

but anyways!

oh, and comments on "may as well have bought a type R" are not really useful either...

anfz - VTEC can be added to a GSi for around 2-3 thousand, depending who does the work...

i.e backyard DIY job = $1500 vs workshop installed = $3000...

Ah, didnt realised that mini-me's only relate to D series swaps.

I take it however that the same principle applies to adding vtec to a gsi? Full head swap and add vtec solonoid etc.

tinkerbell
10-04-2006, 07:22 PM
yeah, for sure - exactly the same principle ;)

some people will claim "it is unreliable"

and by omitting several crucial parts, they can be!

but if done properly, with new seals, gaskets and properly checked clearances, they are similar in reliability to stock engines... assuming the Engine Management System is tuned correctly to suit...

tinkerbell
10-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Im in melb dude also are the amount of fees the same whether you buy private or go dealer like stamp duty transfers etc ?

not sure what you are talking about?

you don't pay tax on an engine swap???

Zdster
10-04-2006, 07:55 PM

I think this reference is to the purchase of a second hand car?

Speak with your local road authority (vicroads) as they will be able to supply you with all info. about purchasing cars (or even try www.vicroads.com.au (http://www.vicroads.com.au)).

Edit: here is the relevant link - http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5nav.nsf/FirstChild/-4A75AFD687EFAB8ACA256FD300241BFB

anfz
10-04-2006, 08:40 PM
thanks zdster

Kenno'Teg
10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
The "Frankenstein" as it's commonly known, is quite a popular engine modification in the US. Due to the relatively good interchangeability of the B-series engine components, you can replace the standard B18A/B18B head with that from a B16A/B, or B18C1/5/7.

In the US, this head swap has been getting the guys around 40hp to the typical GSi engine with N/A wheel hp figures in the 170-190hp range. The engine will retain a compression ration of about 10:1 with this combination of heads also.

There are a number of great websites with 'How-to' guides, some even with step-by-step picture guidance as well. But I stress, if you are going to get this done, for God's sake make sure you get it done by someone who knows what they're doing! Preferably by a tuning company that has had prior experience. Frankensteins are reliable only if done right!

Your best bet would be to search "Frankenstein" or "LS/Vtec" on the net, or chase down the few people in Australia who have had this mod done. I myself have an old Honda Tuning magazine with a simple guide to what needs to be done in regards to this mod. I can scan it and send it to you if you like.

Hope this helps

tinkerbell
10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=106

or do a search on "B20VTEC" - it is exactly the same principle, just with a different bottom end...