PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer port and speaker aiming

EuroDude
11-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I have a 12" sub in a decent sized square box, and have located the box just behind the rear seats below the parcel tray.

From what I've gathered, its best to aim the speaker to the rear of the car to get the best sound.

But the problem is, my Sub Box has the Port on the top, and I think its vibrating the parcel shelf too much. Plus the bass sounds quite muffled when the rear seat is up.

Pic:

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3417/sub8hl.jpg

Do you think there is a better way to position this box?

Or do you think I should fill in the top port hole, and make a new port hole at the back of the box (opposite the speaker)?

ps. theres not really enough space to put a port on the same face as the speaker.

ps. Its an Adire Shiva 12" sub by the way.

Slow96GSR
11-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Why not just turn the box 90 degrees?

EuroDude
11-04-2006, 09:40 PM
90 degrees which way?

Speaker to the rear, port to the left or right side?

Wouldnt that muck of the sound waves?

Slow96GSR
12-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Well it will stop the rear deck from falling apart! You could build a new box, not hard or buy one. That box was tuned for what it was built for. Moving the port will change the tuning anyways. Rotating the box will change them to but only in how they travel, how they get to your ear.

Fhrx
12-04-2006, 07:41 AM
We've covered this topic before champion. Click here to read article (http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/faq.asp#24). :D

EuroDude
12-04-2006, 09:15 AM
The box was actually for a Cerwin Vega (which was crap btw) so I may relocate the port at the opposite end.

fhrx thanks for the link, ultimately the best position would be facing the speaker right at the rear but its really a matter of experimentation.

Though my major concern is the port aiming.

Is it true that half the bass comes out of the port?
Will aiming the port to the side corrupt the bass?
If I relocate the port opposite the speaker, should I point the speaker or port to the rear?

ErazeR
18-04-2006, 12:11 PM
face the vent towards tail lights

EuroDude
18-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah I was going to try that, but I ended up filling up the existing port/vent and testing it out before making a new port. It actually sounds heaps better with no port and the speaker facing to the rear, the bass is stronger and more accurate, and no more parcel tray vibration :thumbsup:

nugget666
19-04-2006, 07:28 PM
after reading that i might block up my port. see what it sounds like

Nuttz
20-04-2006, 07:03 PM
i read somewhere that its a bad idea to have the port at the opposite panel of the speaker. I just cant remember the reasons why