PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening DC2

shebangs
11-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi All,

Sound deadening is the next mod on my Integra DC2. I don't want to add much weight, but I would like to do it enough so it's a noticable difference.

Just wondering, anyone done an Integra before? Any tips they can give me? I'm told Dynamat is the best stuff to get. How much should I purchase? Bulk pack etc?

I've removed my door panels before so I know how it's a skin and the frame. I just wanna know, does the SD go just on the outter part of the frame, including blocking service holes etc? What about the inside part of the door skin? What about inside the actual frame of the door? Stock doors have that plastic paper stuff over the service holes, is it okay to get rid of all of that?

Thanks

Current setup is:
Alpnine 9831
Front: Diamond Audio M661's
Rear: Diamond Audio D3's
MTX 300wrms sub + 4x75wrms sub.
I'm upgrading the sub and amp soon, probably IDMax+1000wrms mono.

Slow96GSR
12-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Well I didn't use dynamat in mine, Home Depot has a gutter repair kit made of the same stuff and I got 4 times as much for less than the big Dynamat kit. I don't think you need to do the whole car though! I would put some on the back of the license plates, on the hatch, behind the panels, not everywhere just where the parts touch the metal. That's where the rattles come from. This will add a bunch of weight though. Even if you do only what you need.

Fhrx
12-04-2006, 07:37 AM
We've deadened hundreds (thousands?) of cars and strongly recommend it for any stereo installation. Weight shouldn't be an issue if you're only doing the doors (2-4kg will not impact the performance). The more deadening in the car the better but I strongly recommend the doors at least. As for what deadening does, see here:

Click here (http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/faq.asp#27).[/url]

For images of it in situ:

[url="http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/photogallery_int.asp#interest4"]Click here (http://</a><a%20href=).

shebangs
12-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't mind adding weight, it's something I'm willing to accept. I just didnt want to add 50Kg or so. I think I'll be fine with 10-15KG. Thanks for that second link Fhrx, makes sense what I need to do.

I see you put the Dynomat ontop of the outter shell of the door. What about inside the door? Do I need anything? What about that egg carton stuff which I heard is also good for acoustics?

Fhrx
12-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah we fully deaden the inside skin of the door (the outer skin of the car) and then we deaden the inner skin (the same plane as the speaker). The diffuser goes directly behind the speaker to stop wave cancellation.

You'll add a maximum of 2kg to each door with full sound deadening, nothing like 10-15kg champ. :)

marte
18-04-2006, 09:47 PM
bringing up an old topic, anyone know whats the weight differance between the gutter repair kit and dyno mat, the gutter repair kit thats that foam thing yeah? also isnt that the same stuff they use for flat tyres that spray foam thing. i know the gutter repair would be lots cheaper as compared to dynomat kit, thats for sure. adn wasnt there a van in auto salon who used the gutter kit

shebangs
08-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah we fully deaden the inside skin of the door (the outer skin of the car) and then we deaden the inner skin (the same plane as the speaker). The diffuser goes directly behind the speaker to stop wave cancellation.

You'll add a maximum of 2kg to each door with full sound deadening, nothing like 10-15kg champ. :)

Thanks for your help, I'm planning on doing it this weekend, one final question (I promise!) :)

What's the recommended way to do the doors? I mean, specifically in regards to the door lock control arms, locking rods and actuators?

I'm planning on using SD Paint to paint the outter shell of the door, then dynomat xtreme the door skin and outter skin after removing the plastic cover/glue stuff. Then cover up the service holes with treated MDF and duck tape. Then going crazy with the paint on any other exposed areas. However, the part of metal UNDER the locking rods, do I just put some dynomat under it and is it fine?

Also, in regards to diffusers. Whats a good one to get? And glueing the diffuser onto the SD Paint behind the speaker is good enough?

Thanks again

Fhrx
12-06-2006, 10:05 AM
The proceedure you have outlined there sounds okay to me champ. As for diffusers, we usually use DynaXorb's and simply glue them onto the Dynamat outer layer which resides behind the speaker. :)