PDA

View Full Version : DC2 spoiler removal

fried
21-09-2003, 11:19 PM
hey guys, im ademant about removing the spoiler on my dc2.

how do i go about that?

i know it has four allen keyable nuts holding it to the boot. can i just unscrew it and thats it? can i do anythign about the four subsequent holes that will be in the boot?

what about cords or whatever for the spoiler brake light? where does it feed to? do i just cut it?

thanks guys!

eric.

wynode
21-09-2003, 11:26 PM
As you said there will be holes in the boot like for the screws. Also there will be another hole for the wires to come through into the spoiler. Usually there is some kind of sealant/glue also between the spoiler and the boot lid.

Depending on the glue you might have a small mark on the paint. However the biggest issue i'd say are the holes which you would have to patch up with some puttty and touch up paint. Might have to visit a smash repairer for this.

fried
21-09-2003, 11:37 PM
thanks wynode.

im actually not that fussed about the holes. i figure, the holes are the same as the *between* the panels of the boot and side guards. so water going through wont cos any trouble cos water goes there anyways.

but maybe the car might start "hissing" because of the wind going throuhg the small holes?

i mean aesthetically, i dont mind the wholes there, but it could be a problem if theres bad glue marks.

someone said theres little plugs u can get at auto one or something?

re: the wires.... do u konw where the hole[s] for that will be? can i just cut the wire? what do i do about it?!?!?!

if i take it off, and the glue is unbareable, can i jsut screw the spoiler back on>?

wynode
21-09-2003, 11:40 PM
if i take it off, and the glue is unbareable, can i jsut screw the spoiler back on>?

Yes. Just make sure you put some selant/glue to stop water getting into the hole and into your boot.

Also, after you take the spoiler off, inspect the holes to see if the paint is missing anywhere near the hole as this could cause rust. In which case you will want to paint over the hole a little to prevent rust.

joneblaze
21-09-2003, 11:50 PM
how bout the wires? that's what we're most worried bout.... :oops:

wynode
22-09-2003, 12:00 AM
What about them?

Just chop it off before you start unscrewing the spoiler (you should be able to see it leading into the spoiler from the inside of the boot).

joneblaze
22-09-2003, 12:02 AM
What about them?

Just chop it off before you start unscrewing the spoiler (you should be able to see it leading into the spoiler from the inside of the boot).

but if u chop them and drop them into the boot and plug it up, what happens when u wanna fit the spoiler back on again?

wynode
22-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Feed it back through the hole, and connect them up using some electrical tape.

Otherwise see if you can detatch it from the source (usualy near the normal stop lamp) without cutting the wire.

They are just 2 wired (+) and (-). Not exactly rocket science :)

joneblaze
22-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Feed it back through the hole, and connect them up using some electrical tape.

Otherwise see if you can detatch it from the source (usualy near the normal stop lamp) without cutting the wire.

They are just 2 wired (+) and (-). Not exactly rocket science :)

groovy..thanks. will check it out.

ginganggooly
22-09-2003, 05:50 AM
nahhh, you need a gt wing, bro.
telling ya, full hektik bro.

joneblaze
22-09-2003, 10:00 AM

sssshhhh.... :P

joneblaze
22-09-2003, 10:01 AM
M3 sidemirrors anyone......? 8)

INFLYT
22-09-2003, 07:41 PM
I would recommend you try and get your hand's on a GSI/VTI-R bootlid that doesn't already have a wing. :wink:

joneblaze
22-09-2003, 09:02 PM
I would recommend you try and get your hand's on a GSI/VTI-R bootlid that doesn't already have a wing. :wink:

but then wont i have to replace the glass etc etc? that's a hassle. i just wanna cruise without the spoiler for a little while, so im able to replace it when i sell it or when i feel like it.

A'PEXi
23-09-2003, 01:13 AM
leave the spoiler on your stock bootlid, wack the vti/gsi bootlid on for what you want, when you sell it, put the stock bootlid back on with the spoiler, problem solved :)

joneblaze
23-09-2003, 01:15 AM
leave the spoiler on your stock bootlid, wack the vti/gsi bootlid on for what you want, when you sell it, put the stock bootlid back on with the spoiler, problem solved :)

but that entails me having to spend money on a bootlid with NO spoiler (and possibly money for labour since i have no idea), then when im done having fun im left with an extra bootlid..... and i DRIVE a gsi..... it has a spoiler...

fried
23-09-2003, 01:45 PM

AHAHAHAHHAHA slim!!!!!! ur sooooooo gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!

spoilers gotta go~

no gt wings!!!! they are evil!!!! not to mention stoooooopid !!!

kekekee

eric

Teggy-Vtir
24-09-2003, 08:23 PM
i took off my stock spoiler today
i do not recommend u guys to do it
took 3 ppl to take it off :D
it was stuck down pretty hard, i lifted it up abit so my friend can run a knife thru the black glue like fing, we did that to both sides, but it was still stuck down so we yanked it off.
paint didnt come off luckily =)

fried
07-10-2003, 12:12 AM
so apart from the hard effort, is it alright?

are the holes bareable? have u plugged them? does it hiss? does it carry too much water now, that the holes are there?

thanks!

eric

XXpl0Sive
07-10-2003, 12:27 AM
teggy vtir how old is your teg?
Mine's a 2000 and i took it off easily but quickly put it back on because it looks incomplete from the back (although it did looks quite nice from the side)

Teggy-Vtir
07-10-2003, 05:20 PM
it was hard to take off, but i wouldnt recommend u to take it off, if ur not replacin it with another wing. since d wing has been on there for like so long theres marks on the boot u cant rub off.
for me i got another spoiler so its okai, but my rear break lights on my windscreen aint workin now, i dunno why, must b d wires i clipped.
There will b 3 holes on one side and 2 on d other side, the third hole is for the break light wires. =)

fried
10-10-2003, 12:12 PM
i had a go last night at taking the spoiler off, just to see.

came off fine. used an allan (???) key to unscrew the four screw things.

and the spoiler was still stuck down with this rubber sort sealent glue stuff.

wasnt hard by ANY means to encourage the spoiler off, just sounded like masking , or packaging tape being pulled off something. i looked and the black sealent stuff seems to be be able to be rubbed off quite easily. and i dont mind the four screw holes.

my main concern, is plugging the brake light cable hole, cos doesnt that lead into the actual bootlid cabin?

so i put the spoiler on, until i could sort it out, im going into honda to ahve a look today, seeif they can help me get under the bootlid.

let you all know!

fried
10-10-2003, 02:54 PM
ok so spoilers off!!! YAYAYA!!!!!

looks fine! went to a auto repairs place, and they sorted it out fro me, all fro free, cos they are great people there ARC in Thornleigh!!!

took the binding off, sorted the wiring of my brake lights out, took thhe spoiler off, cleaned and polished the yucky gluey stuff off, then plugged the wire hole. i told them to leave the other four screw holes, cos i think its more discreet if they are left, instead of plugging them with funny black gromets....

but the wire hole is plugged with a black rubber gromet about 2-3mm hi.. so its still rather discreet. will get you fotos when i can!!!

lovin it!

joneblaze
10-10-2003, 06:29 PM
ok so spoilers off!!! YAYAYA!!!!!

looks fine! went to a auto repairs place, and they sorted it out fro me, all fro free, cos they are great people there ARC in Thornleigh!!!

took the binding off, sorted the wiring of my brake lights out, took thhe spoiler off, cleaned and polished the yucky gluey stuff off, then plugged the wire hole. i told them to leave the other four screw holes, cos i think its more discreet if they are left, instead of plugging them with funny black gromets....

but the wire hole is plugged with a black rubber gromet about 2-3mm hi.. so its still rather discreet. will get you fotos when i can!!!

lovin it!

woohoo! the guinea pig trial worked! ima do it too now... :P
hehe....

toonimon
04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
i took my spoiler off my dc4 today, unscrewed 4 things, then i just disconnected the brake light wires and that was it. the boot panels are held together by clips, just chuck in a flat head and open it up. there are two wires for the brake light, remove whatever is holding them together and you should be left with those miniature clamp things, just pull them apart - requires a little force. also, there was no glue between my spoiler and boot.

noobcake
04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
go supercheap auto buy those black round plugs, and plug it in the holes.

illuzi0nz
04-04-2010, 12:27 PM
nice work bringing a 7 yr old thread back tony lol

androo
05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
lol I didn't even realise that the thread was old when I was reading it!!!