PDA

View Full Version : b20 legal issues and opinions

^BuM_RaSh^
13-04-2006, 02:48 PM
hey guys issert legal to put in the small truck engine into a civic? would it be able to be engineered? I don't have much money to be spending on cars but would love more tORQUE especially off the line! i seem to be slowing down traffic haha. just a stock b20b or b20z in my ek hatch is what im thinking. nebody have ne experience or opinions on this?

[[d a n n y]]
13-04-2006, 03:08 PM
mate
if u look up the top there is a little function called SEARCH!!! in yellow writing.
this topic has been done to death before.

to answer your question
it's Yes it's legal as long as everything else ie
brakes transmission etc has been up speced

^BuM_RaSh^
13-04-2006, 03:26 PM
trust me i do use the search unlike some ppl. for like 2-3 hours a day for the past 6 months and cant seem to find a clean definate answer on this thatz all. coz on a US forums some said it was illegal to put small truck engine. but a forums a forum, cant go on a couple of ppls words need some reassurance. and about performance all ppl say is put a vtec head and it'd go hard. nothin much at all bout bone STOCK performance for the budget minded ppl like me :(

ekslut
13-04-2006, 03:45 PM
trust me i do use the search unlike some ppl. for like 2-3 hours a day for the past 6 months and cant seem to find a clean definate answer on this thatz all. coz on a US forums some said it was illegal to put small truck engine. but a forums a forum, cant go on a couple of ppls words need some reassurance. and about performance all ppl say is put a vtec head and it'd go hard. nothin much at all bout bone STOCK performance for the budget minded ppl like me :(

yeah, but were not in America, so there is no point in looking at American forums to find out if it is legal.

But yes, it will be legal as long as you get it engineered. And the engine can't be any older than your chassis. As you said, you can't take whats written in forums as all true, so call up VicRoads to find out what steps need to be taken for it to be all legal.

And I woun't really call a B20b or z a small truck engine.

**Ghost**
13-04-2006, 05:10 PM
fyi i got quoted 4000 for a crvtec conversion (note that i have a b16a already so way cheaper)

the CRV block is amazingly cheap, only like $400 from most wreckers... if u want ne sort of performance u need to change at the very least pistons/rings, rods, etc tho, and by the time the bearings, bolts, peices, etc are done ur looking at about $4000.

thats including a cheap engine management (quoted off a emanage)

^BuM_RaSh^
14-04-2006, 11:56 AM
im not looking for monster performance or nething like that. ive got a 88kw d16y4 non vtec an jus want a good upgrade. was considering mini-me but thats onli gonna put me at around 100kw. then i figure a stock b20b with b-tranny would be better similar kws wayy more torque across the rev range, i mean driving with 2-3 other ppl in the car is torture. budget around 1500-2000 max atm. ne wanna point me in a direction?

iamhappy46
14-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Hangong.. Do you want more bottom end torque or more top end power??

The B20A swap is not going to be cheap once you factor in the B series engine mounts, wiring/ecu, larger brakes(cause the engine is 25% larger), this money could be put towards a better car with more torque or a supercharger/low boost turbo.

^BuM_RaSh^
14-04-2006, 06:04 PM
bottom end torque mainly to keep up with traffic! and torque is fun. top end power.. not realli fussy as i always keep in the speed limit :D