PDA

View Full Version : Diy: Importing Half Cuts/parts

EGB18CT
14-04-2006, 01:33 PM
DIY: IMPORTING HALF CUTS/PARTS

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Basically I have imported a VtiR/GSR/SirG variant half cut B18C including all suspension and front and rear brakes, also includes dash and no rims from Malaysia to Melbourne Australia.

Aim: To import parts/half cuts from Japan/Malaysia/Asia to Australia

Required: Supplier, Customs Agent/Broker/Forwarder, Money!

Steps:
1. Once you have found a supplier overseas get the supplier to look over the half cut and send you pictures of the engine bay, and have them provide a legitimate video/s of the compression test and prove is all in good order. Rarely will they offer you a warranty as the market is so popular in America they can afford not to offer this. But make sure they do check the gearbox, engine for leaks, as these are the common problems. If a cut appears to have paint peeling on the rocker cover or any signs of lots of oxidation or rust or oil on the block stay clear of it!
2. Negotiate the price! Many are fairly firm on their prices, once again due to the popularity of the engines in the US. For example my SirG B18C cut cost approx US$2,500.00 plus shipping charges.
3. While writing the contract get them to list as many things as you can think of to try safe guard your position in the contract, things like engine numbers/VIN, ODO readings, Block numbers, etc. May people have been burnt before by dodgy sales so make sure the company is trustworthy and try search around other forums or google to see if they have fallen in trouble in the past.

SHIPPING AND THEIR LOCAL CHARGES
4. Shipping will not usually be cheap and usually comes at a price, which for my half cut, which weighed in at about 450kg in a 4.7m3 wooden box cost about US$400. These shipping charges include: All packing and transport to the origins shipping yard for packing in container, transfer from origins port to port Melbourne, Customs Agent at origin to do paperwork there and to send here and fumigation and quarantine. Make sure all these are listed in the contract especially all quarantine costs as they will try not fumigate the container to save cost and try slide it past customs but it wont happen and will try bill you for it so stress to the supplier that Australian Customs is strict and this is a MUST.
5. Payment fees due. Once shipping is organised and the contract is to your liking, you will most likely have to do a wire transfer of you funds.
6. Once it is all complete and the shipment is out to sea, it will take about 2 weeks to arrive from Asia. Now is the time to get all of the paperwork. This includes, Fumigation Certificate saying fumigation was done, The aircon gas was removed from the half cut as it is illegal to bring in this gas, packing declaration saying that the shipment is packed in a wooden box and contains timber and it is free from soil and other things, a recept of proof of payment, and try get a bill of lading although you may have to get this from your agent here, but the other documents are a must. The shipping company will transfer all the documents to the freight forwarder here.
7. The supplier will nominate a freight forwarder here in Australia which they probably wont tell you about as it is a LOCAL fee. This forwarder receives all the documents of shipping and the bill of lading. He/she is the one that brings in the container and organises the unpacking, any quarantine etc.. And yes there are more fees! The forwarder will set you back about AU$500 or so and you have to have him otherwise you cannot bring the container in.
8. Once the forwarding work is done, it is time to off load the work for clearance for customs through a broker or customs agent. You can do this yourself but is a complex process so its best left to the professional like I did. They cost anywhere between $AU150 to $AU250 for clearance work. They will work out a duty and tax fee owed to customs which is usually about 10% duty for auto parts and 10% GST. This will only be charged if the value is over AU$1000 including shipping costs. And no, I wouldn’t recommend declaring the shipment as a gift as it will look suss and you probably will still be up for tax as they will estimate a value not to mention a fine if they find out the dodgy work.
9. Once customs looks over the shipment and they give the all clear, you now need to pay the LOCAL charges like forwarding cost, customs agent hire, tax, gst and the lodgement entry cost which is about AU$75 to submit documents.
10. Once it’s all paid off you are now able to pick up the shipment. Make sure you pay the fees by the due date as the shipping company can only hold the shipment for like 3 days otherwise you will be up for storage costs.

LOOK BELOW FOR MY COSTS WHEN I IMPORTED IN MARCH/APRIL 2006 These are to be considered as estimates and used as a guide only

Half cut $US 2500
Shipping $US 400
TOTAL ORIGIN CHARGE $AU 3985

AUSTRALIAN CHARGES
Forwarder $AU 500
Customs Agent $AU 180
Entry Fee $AU 71
GST & DUTY ~$AU 750*
TOTAL $AU 1501 in LOCAL charges

TOTAL COST $AU 5,486.00

*some people declare their shipment at a lesser value to reduce tax, do at your own risk.

Comments
That is pretty much the importing process; you pay for the item and shipment charges to Melbourne unless you pay for delivery from door to door. So once the shipment arrives here you will be up for local charges, which many suppliers don’t inform you about, as they may not be aware of this. Once its is here you have to pay the local cost on top of the shipment cost which will enable the shipment to be released and in your hands!

This is the general process that I went through and was a huge learning curve. This is a rough guide only and do at your own risk.

EGB18CT :honda:

ECU-MAN
14-04-2006, 11:08 PM
geez, AU gov takes a fair chunk

honda_b_blastn
15-04-2006, 08:31 AM
geez, AU gov takes a fair chunk

Yer govenment never wants to miss out!..i bought my front cut from a private source in NZ,not commercial therfore i was able to fix a price on the package:angel: with the help of the private seller..

Good write up tho champ,sure to help alot of people out..

EGB18CT
15-04-2006, 11:48 AM
well the forwarding cost not many people tell you about as it is a local cost and you think you only have to pay for the customs agent and pay the gst/tax, but yeh when you hear the forwarding agent is 500 you are like WHAT! but yeh hopefully people can now realise through this. The freight company that sent the half cut over tried to dodge aus customs by not fumigating and then tried to bill me for it but hopefully the supplier was very helpful and sttod up for me and ordered the company to pay, so yeh a few hick-ups but otherwise all good!

and yeh the gov takes a fair chumk unless you organise with your supplier to declare at a lesser value which then you can get away with like 300au in tax and duty but is a risk you take, and if you get caught you could land big penalties...

Weq
15-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Just a note on the custom agent. It is really QUITE easy to do this yourself. Aus customs will actually help u out alot. WHen i first imported my turbo kit i went through an agent because a friend worked with one. He did it for me for free, but when i took the papers in to customs they questioned me on the reasons for choosing an agent on such a small shipment. We actually re-did all the paperwork on the spot. took about 10minutes all up.

Basically what i am saying is this is easy money u can save. All you need is a receipt from the supplier for the total price. Make sure there is a description and/or serial number to identify the invoice as belonging to the shipment.

Weq
15-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Oh and just a word on goverment charges. Customs officers are not knowledage at all. As long as the value of the item is reasonable and u can substanciate this with credit card transfers/paypal/other documentation, u can quite easily get away with MUCH less tax. They really only get tough on medium/large buisness who import tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. Its all about knowing the ins and outs of the system.

Secondly i have a funny story re my turbo kit import. I used the customs agent and he actually found a number (forget the term atm) that listed turbos are a duty free. The customs officier was a little sus of this, and it was news to me also, but after looking up the number and looking at my receipt 'turbo kit' he was like 'good enough for me' and i ended up paying $90 to clear the whole shipment. Later on talking to another austoms agent friend, he said that the number definatly doesnt apply to my product and i got lucky..... ignorance is bliss sometimes - that was my other tactic, look like a victim of dodgy suppliers and customs will take sympathy on u. i did, lol.... *really sir, they charged me so much for shipping and it only cost them $100!! *pout* *flutter of eyelids* *

EGB18CT
15-04-2006, 01:06 PM
well a similar story has just happened to me weq! i declared my customs value as 1850, i get the invoice and the declared value turns out to be 1100au! i think the shipper sent in the wrong customs invoice because i told them to bump it up a little more so they dont get suss thurns out they sent it anyway and the invoice seemed to get approval!! woot! ...best thing was the agent didnt ask what was going on!

Nuttz
15-04-2006, 01:54 PM
:thumbsup: nice write up

B147ch
22-01-2009, 12:46 PM
i like this idea.
i've seen SO many sweet engines for dirt cheap in new zealand, but always wondered whats involved in getting them over here..
if i were to pick up this b18cR package for over 2.5kAUD from new zealand, how much am i looking at to physically have it in my hot little hands??
cheers

trism
22-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Why are you asking? All the prices are in the first post

honda_b_blastn
22-01-2009, 05:33 PM
shop around if your going to do so..i got 2 k series engines air freighted overnight from NZ for 1000NZ$ freight charge.

Then from florida USA i had a K series long engine air freighted with all duty's tax's ect landed for 1600 AUD

deff does pay to shop around and if you can find the right customs broker there are ALOT of charges that you dont have to pay for when bringing over engines/half cuts ;)

also...talk about digging up an old thread!!!!

mocchi
22-01-2009, 06:13 PM
shop around if your going to do so..i got 2 k series engines air freighted overnight from NZ for 1000NZ$ freight charge.

Then from florida USA i had a K series long engine air freighted with all duty's tax's ect landed for 1600 AUD

deff does pay to shop around and if you can find the right customs broker there are ALOT of charges that you dont have to pay for when bringing over engines/half cuts ;)

also...talk about digging up an old thread!!!!

wow thats good price. pm the the broker agent!! :D hehehe

B147ch
23-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Why are you asking? All the prices are in the first post

read the first post again, its from a different country u gimp..

cheers for the NZ INFO, much appreciated..

Red_EG4
23-01-2009, 04:19 PM
read the first post again, its from a different country u gimp..

cheers for the NZ INFO, much appreciated..

I think trism thought you meant all the costs related in Australia. Those costs are outlined in the DIY. Judging by the DIY, the only cost you need to calculate is the shipping.
I personally feel you should talk to an import broker/customs agent to get a better estimate.

tiksie
25-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Still good rough estimates here.. Gives you a good idea.

If anyone has more info but specificly about EXPORTING parts from Japan (I will be moving there in a few months) then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know ANYTHING that you know about it.. Information in regards to companies to use etc in Japan to send stuff to Australia will be invaluable to me.

Cheers!

eg5civic
07-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Are you gonna import us all rare jdm parts tiksie

would be good to have a trusted person in japan that can get parts

tiksie
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Export parts while I'm there teaching English ^^

jords
17-07-2009, 11:18 AM
ingrish.....

mocchi
23-11-2009, 06:57 PM
bump for good info.

kitbkk
13-02-2010, 01:43 PM
sorry for digging up an old thread.
im about to import a b18cr from asia. is there any problems related to registering an engine in aus? what kind of documents needed?
:thumbsup:

EGB18CT
05-03-2010, 07:53 AM
bit late but depends on the engineer, some will want you to prove that asian emmissions are as strict or stricter than aus emissions otherwise some will force an emissions test - expensive in melb, free in nsw! Just go to an engineer that has done honda swaps and you will be fine, also try avoid telling the engineer where the motor is from (only vic roads needs to see receipts so no dramas here as once its passed engineer vic roads won't care) anyway, no problem registering here.