PDA

View Full Version : Just put down a deposit!

Stargazer
24-04-2004, 11:07 PM
For an Euro standard auto!

I do have a question or two with dealer extras though.

Are rust inhibitor, underbody protection and paint protection a waste of money? Those 3 would add 1200 to the price. I remember reading somewhere (edmunds i think it was) that rustproofing is a waste of money, but I think i'm being taken in by these shiny marketing brochures.

wynode
24-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Personally I'd say rust inhibitor is a waste of time.

Most new cars are now primed and painted properly to prevent corrosion.

Paint protection.......i've heard they just give the car a nice wax job ;)

Why not get manual thogh?....nice car nonetheless!

toE
25-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Underbody protection would be worth a thought. Other than that...meh...waste of money lah!! :lol:

buut..it's up to u anywhos....

wat color did you get??

euro77
25-04-2004, 12:23 AM
what kind of paint protection is it? I heard it can prevent tree sap and bird poo from ruining your paint job. If it's true, then why not :D

Stargazer
25-04-2004, 12:47 AM
I went the safe colour - Satin Silver. easy to keep clean :). I like the convenience of Autos (and I do a heap of city driving).

The paint protection stuff is called Astroglaze, apparently has teflon in it. The aftermarket manager trying to sell me the stuff said sap and poo can stay on longer before it starts eating through the paint. She also said I wouldn't need to wax my car again...

But again, I'm not too sure about it all.

Marketing link: http://www.colcrawford.com.au/bdy_accessories.htm

They gave me free datadots!

A'PEXi
25-04-2004, 12:48 AM
yes it is a waste of money, if you wanted you could probarbly go out and get it done somewhere else for half the price :P

EuroAccord13
25-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Paint Protection is a waste of money. I used to have MING P.P done for all my cars at 800 a pop.. it only saves you time from polishing and waxing the car four times a year. Water beads off at every wash but it will be the same if you maintain the polish on the car.

True, Bird poo poo and Tree sap are not match against the P.P but nowadays, new cars have a Clear Coat which protects the paint work.

TIP : Tea Tree Oil is a very good remover of goooey stuffs from the paintwork.

To get dried bird poo poo off, soak a sponge with car wash and let it sit on top of the poo poo for a while. It will make cleaning it off easy. Same goes to the tree sap. For those super stubborn and stuck on ones, use Tea Tree Oil

CHEERS
Nick

razaman
25-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Doesn't teflon have to be applied at like 500-600 degrees for it to stick?

Raz

Stargazer
25-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips guys.

I shall skip these dealer extras.

I shouldn't told my relos about the car though. They're making me feel all crummy and ripped off that I didn't get very many options for free (and that I didn't milk the dealership for all they were worth). Blah, Relos suck sometimes. :x

VTEC16
25-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips guys.

I shall skip these dealer extras.

I shouldn't told my relos about the car though. They're making me feel all crummy and ripped off that I didn't get very many options for free (and that I didn't milk the dealership for all they were worth). Blah, Relos suck sometimes. :x

Dont worry about that man - sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes a bad one.....but as long as YOU are happy with the purchase, thats all that matters.

What is a couple of grands worth of bullshit extras in the grand scheme of things?

Stargazer
25-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeh, that's what my gf has been telling me.

Just for the record, I paid 38500 for it. I didn't really know what a good price for the car was. I did read that some people got theirs for 37750ish.

Also just decided I want the slimeline door visors, but I might get them aftermarket and get a friend to install them. Probably cheaper that way. Though I'll ring the dealer up on tuesday to ask him how much that extra is, and try and talk him down on that extra.