PDA

View Full Version : Leak?

LUD02C
24-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Well if you live in Sydney, you will know that on the 23rd of August we had some crazy rain/wind and i discovered on Sunday morning (24/8) that i have a leak in my boot only when the car is elevated with bonnet facing up!

I couldn't find the leak all Sunday, and the problem is my amplifier got wet :evil: not happy!

So if anyone could give me some ideas on where i could look, would be much appreciated :D

Thanks

Jason

wynode
24-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Have you tried looking around to see where the water might have come from?

The first place to start is the rubber seals around the boot lid area. Next check the inserts where the shocks come through from.

Jnr Teggy
24-08-2003, 09:43 PM
do what i did when i had a leak in the hatch of my teg..

get inside with a torch, close the lid...and get a mate to run water over the car...

you should be able to locate the general direction of the leak that way!

otherwise order some new boot rubbers!

edit: was it parked on a slope or angle?

kall
25-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Amps... Subs?

You may have broken the rear windscreen seal. I did that now have a boot seal made of clear silicone!

Have a look at that.

Jnr Teggy
25-08-2003, 12:13 PM
good point...

the sikaflex thats holding the rear window in could be starting to break up

LUD02C
25-08-2003, 05:02 PM
I have checked all the rubbers but they seem fine!
Yeh Sam i might just hope in the boot and have water put on there and have a look (good idea)....

Yeh the car was on a slope, bonnet facing up!

Jnr Teggy
25-08-2003, 07:00 PM
go for it mate...

protect the audison!

weezer
24-09-2003, 08:10 PM
it could have leaked where the antenna is. there is a hose that catch's the water that runs down the antenna. it could be that

LUD02C
25-09-2003, 04:10 PM
it could have leaked where the antenna is. there is a hose that catch's the water that runs down the antenna. it could be that

We have come to three conclusions now!

1/ Under back window where rubber is there might be some rust spots and it builds up with water then leaks through

2/ Where antenna is just like Weezer said, thanks for the advice :D

3/ Through the spoiler, which is going to be removed anyway cos i like the prelude with no spolier :D

It hasn't happened since, and now i have a SRx3 aswell in the car, so its always in the garage and never parked on a slope facing up :D

h4l
29-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Hello again :)

This is a classic prelude problem, mine was the opposite as it leaked on the passanger when the car was parked downhill after a night of rain.

The answer is in the sunroof, Honda knew it would leak so they made 4 drain holes at each corner of the sunroof, the front two drain out behind the front wheels, whilst the back ones run through the roof, down the back pillar then into the sides of the boot (near the aerial!), then drain out.

These get clogged with dirt & general crap combined with water pushes all the gunk to the end of the drainage tubes. For some reason Honda decided to put little nipples on these (maybe so dirt doesnt go up :P), and it is here where they block up.

Solution

Open the boot, take out the false cardboard floor and move the carpet back. Unscrew any screws holding the right and left hand trim on, then pull out the plastic plug screws without wripping the trim :roll: , u can actually buy a tool to do this but not nessecary.

Once the trim is off, look for some black tubing coming down from the rear pillars, they will run into plugs that are attached to the bottom of the boot... clean the tubes and plug, I actually cut the tip off the tubes so that there would be no blockage point.

Lastly when u think it's clear, plug it back it. Flush with hot water and it should be all good :)

Well.... it was 4 me :D

h4l
29-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Where is the spell chek? :P[/quote]

LUD02C
30-09-2003, 03:27 PM
I had no idea about those four holes!
I think only the left hand side is blocked at the back but i will clean both out!

Thanks for the advice man! :D

h4l
03-10-2003, 12:04 AM
No worries :)... If only the old www.hondaprelude.com site was up... that was the best source of information!

Lemme know how u go with the sun roof :D

azjs
07-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Ah I see you used to be on that site too, how I miss it :(

This applies to 4G also...

My leak ended coming from the boot rubber seal - it looked attached okay, but over time it's crimp gets loose and allows water to get through when it builds a pool in the cavity between the rubber seal and the rear window.

-az