PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

dark138
14-04-2006, 11:33 PM
right. this doesn't really belong in any of the other sections so i will post here.
my gf drives a DC5S after swapping car with her girlfriend (alfa 147) for a week. she fell inlove with the buttons on the steering wheel...

i m thinking of maybe installing the euro steering wheel(since it has volume and play buttons on it) onto her type S. Before i go any further with the idea. are there any ideas any one can enlighten me with?

the whole point of this exercise is so just she can control the stereo player with buttons on the stereo.

she has a stock CD player btw and she's not convinced to getting any audio upgrades such as remote controls , headunits besides getting those damn buttons! what is it with women and things they try to do?!

marte
17-04-2006, 01:52 PM
ok let's see btw dont quote me on this.
firstly i believe you need a head unit that has that capability that is "Steering Wheel Remote Control Ready"
alpine has a a range of head units that are steerin wheel r.c ready. not sure abt other brands. i know bose has a few factory head units that have the remote control steering wheel r.c ready(had one in my vy)

oh also you'll need to replace your steering wheel =/ all in all a costly upgrade

ICACHA
17-04-2006, 02:58 PM
does the wheel have an air bag?

does the new wheel have an air bag?

if yes to the above, what makes you think that a different wheel will fit let alone the air bag work?

marte
17-04-2006, 03:18 PM
i never said it would be as simple as plug and play :confused:

dark138
17-04-2006, 03:31 PM
well i don't know thats why i m asking

so ICACHA you don't think its possible?

ICACHA
17-04-2006, 04:13 PM
let me get this right, you want to put a euro steering wheel on an integra?

if so the spline the steering goes on might be different and the airbag connections also, remember these are made specifically for the cars they are on and might not necessarily be interchangable.

what i would suggest is you get some steering controls from spare parts that could possibly fit on your car and then use the PAC steering control interface units to work with the deck you got.

all you have to do is mount the controls to the steering wheel, wont be cheap, but it will work... try either way, no harm in asking honda if what you want will work. asking is for free, making mistakes isnt :)

ICACHA
17-04-2006, 04:14 PM
i never said it would be as simple as plug and play :confused:

my question was refering to dark138 post :)

marte
17-04-2006, 05:10 PM
my bad !
remember cause the dc5 has airbags if you happen to change ur steering wheel it has to have airbags also. it might be easier to mount just buttons to control your volume and etc. like icacha said. i believe it is possible to do what you want, just how much money are you really wanting to spend.

dark138
17-04-2006, 07:07 PM
soo having steering wheel controls i will need to have a aftermarket headunit that has that option right?

looks like there won't be much luck with the stock HU then rite? coz the stock hu is pretty descent, 6cd changer-mp3 and it fits with the dahs.

ICACHA
17-04-2006, 07:34 PM
thats right, your headunit will need to be remote ready, i know my dads 05 CRV has the steering remote as standard, and if another deck went in there and i wanted to use the steering remotes id have to make sure it was remote ready and an adaptor was available for the car :)

marte
17-04-2006, 07:36 PM
i think icacha spoke of a pac steering control interface. it sounds like it will work with what ever head unit you got there. if so then that wouldnt be a good first option for you. secondly head units that have the Steering Wheel Remote Control Ready feature is another option.

zorrt
17-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I think the easiest option is to get those steering wheel remote such as the pioneer ones. Just mounts directly onto your OEM steering wheel. Although it not integrated it does the job for alot cheaper and safer. You'll be messing around with alot more than just changing the steering wheel if you want the integrated look.

For example with a situation I just recently had, to fit an EK9 steering wheel into my 93 DC2 for that to work I would of required the entire steering column thingo which would be costly. And then even then with an ITR steering wheel to fit into my car I needed the wiring redone due to one part not being able to line up properly. I don't know what its called, its the part behind the steering wheel which houses the wiring but it is a very expensive part.

So in the end yes everything is possible with the right amount of time and money. Its up to you to decide if it is really worth doing or not. But remember, you are also compromising the safety if the vehicle (airbag) and not just the money.

tRipitaka
17-04-2006, 09:22 PM
just get a pioneer head unit, and get the pioneer steering remote..

marte
18-04-2006, 12:35 AM
depending who does the the steering wheel and etc if u do decide ot get it done remember to make sure u get it all tested out. one bc its illeagal and two its ur GF!!
and with the cost make her pay she likes it she pays it :) thats my 2 cents :D