PDA

View Full Version : Is It The Clutch Or The Gearbox?

rh10
15-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Hey Guys,
was driving along today and downshifted from 4th to 3rd cos I was approaching a set of traffic lights and as i was shifting I heard this really loud crunching noise. Thought nothing of it for a second then tried to put it into 3rd again and it crunched again. So left it in neutral and just braked. put the car in 1st then lights go green and i drive off. As im taking off in 1st (not changing gears) I hear the same crunching noise and the whole car shakes and shudders at low revs. As the revs get higher, it starts to drive normally again, change into 2nd and crunch again and the same thing,car shakes and shudders until i get into the higher revs. Same with third and four gears. Stupidly kept driving (i know i should have stopped), hoping to make it home. Stopped at another traffic light and then it wouldnt go into gear at all. Tried to press the clutch peddle but it wouldnt budge. Had to get it towed home :(.

So any ideas on what has fugged up? would it be the clutch? the gearbox? something else? and how much am I looking at to get it fixed?

Weq
15-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Sounds like ur master/slave cylinder failed on the clutch, not disengaging the pressure plate. hence the crunching.. Its very unlikely is gearbox related IMO as the symptoms have come on 2 quick.

EuroDude
15-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Yea sounds like the cylinder.

How is the clutch reservoir fluid level at the moment? Below MIN?

johnn
15-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I agree.. I reckon its the clutch as well.. I would just do a basic check first...check to see if your clutch cable is still attach to the clutch fork and also check if you have transmission oil.. theres some things you can do while at home.. until you go to the mechanics

spardikis
17-04-2006, 02:50 PM
man, i reckon you have shorn something inbetween your clutch and pressure plate. an easy way to check is to take off your starter motor and use a spot light to look for clutch fibre in the gearbox or any fiberglass type material that looks wrong. You cant always diagnose it by doing this, however if you find shards of your clutch you know whats happened.

when was the last time you replaced the clutch? and did you do any crazy skidding or heavy dumping before hand??

rh10
17-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Yea sounds like the cylinder.

How is the clutch reservoir fluid level at the moment? Below MIN?

Ill check it out. If its below min, what do I put in there to top it up? Is it tranmission oil?

rh10
17-04-2006, 04:34 PM
just checked the car and the clutch fluid is inbetween min and max.

I can change gears when the car is off but when it is on the clutch goes in now (still stiffer than usual though)
but still cant get it into gear, It wont budge if going into 1-5th and when trying to get it into reverse, it crunches but doesnt go into gear.

If its the master cylinder, will i get that part if I buy an exedy clutch kit (sorry i got no idea on this type of stuff but really appreciate the help)

spardikis
17-04-2006, 05:09 PM
nah man. It really sounds like your master cylinder is ok. I think that its a clutch and pressure plate problem because of these reasons.....

1: your car goes into some gears but not others - if your master cylinder was broken the ability to change gears shouldnt vary. It would change gear, only just change gear, or not change gear at all

2: while in gear your car is shaking most probably due to a harmonic resinancy/frequencey or unbalancing - this tells me there is something wrong with the drive train.

3: It happend suddenly while changing gears - this tells me that its most probably the clutch or pressure plate. A gearbox usually wears or breaks over a period of time. clutches and p plates can gouge, break or shatter on the spot especially while changing down gears or dumping the clutch/skidding.

4: if you have a broken clutch or p plate it can be very pickey as to what gear you can choose and how well it will go in.

feel free to add coments, as i am not a mechanic.
this to me only seems logical!

spardikis
17-04-2006, 05:12 PM
and an exedey clutch kit should be all you need to fix the problem, but should not have a master cylinder.

rh10
17-04-2006, 08:53 PM
thanks for the help.

Just gonna take it to the mechanics tommorrow and hope they dont screw me over :o

ECU-MAN
17-04-2006, 09:17 PM
dude

dont ever put anyting other than brake fluid in you clutch master cylinder.

I dont think its a hydraulic problem as you would of complained of your clutch pedal not returning.

hope your gearbox is ok, was it noisy at all before this problem

rh10
18-04-2006, 09:40 AM
just took it to the mechanics and he told me the pressure plate is goooone!!!!

dacbietcrx
18-04-2006, 09:51 AM
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago

got to a traffic light
Then i couldnt put it into any gear at all. the clutch goes in but it wont go into any gear.
When the engine was off , i could put it into all gears.

So i left it in second while engine off and started it up and was able to drive home in one gear.

Pulled the box apart and the springs on the clutch was broken

replaced the clutch all good nows

hope that helps

ErazeR
18-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Its the syncros in the gear box, before you touch the box try and put redline oil
for 5000k's
that should help

spardikis
18-04-2006, 05:56 PM
thought as much:) thats got to be a rep point;)

ECU-MAN
18-04-2006, 06:11 PM
thought as much:) thats got to be a rep point;)

lol

wait till he gets it back from the mechanic, then Ill give you double PQ points :)

its still not done yet :)

Weq
19-04-2006, 08:07 PM
its not the syncros

rh10
20-04-2006, 02:55 PM
yep got it back from the mechanic and all is good now.

Pressure plate was cracked and 1 of the springs had popped out

ECU-MAN
20-04-2006, 05:44 PM
awsome,

Weq
20-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Sounds like ur master/slave cylinder failed on the clutch, not disengaging the pressure plate. hence the crunching.. Its very unlikely is gearbox related IMO as the symptoms have come on 2 quick.

yep got it back from the mechanic and all is good now.

Pressure plate was cracked and 1 of the springs had popped out

i totally win. someone give me some rep's baby

badger
20-04-2006, 09:22 PM
seems like this is a common fault on civics as my cluth plate broke and all the torsion springs fell between the plate and flywheel and would grab every now and then, put new clutch in last night took 3.5 hours what a bitch

ECU-MAN
20-04-2006, 09:24 PM
civic clutches are easy dude :)

you did it in good time as well

rh10
20-04-2006, 10:45 PM
should have gotten one of you fellas to do it for me. Rather than paying $600 to the mechanic

badger
21-04-2006, 05:31 AM
yeah but who wants to do a clutch after work

rh10
22-04-2006, 05:49 PM
for a couple of hungie? someone might have wanted to do it

spardikis
22-04-2006, 05:56 PM
haha, that shit's all good - i love doing it. I have a habit of finding myself working on my ride in the dark and it always seems to start raining!!!

gotta get some stoke for your project, just get stuck in - learn it and do it. The end result is alot sweeter if u do it your self too i rekon.