PDA

View Full Version : NOLOGY leads?

CUL8R
17-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Ok, simply put i still have some cronic ignition issues at times and i have decided that enough is enough coz it really hurts having occasional moments where my car would drop a cyl and misfires start.

I know OEM rock, and are prob one of my best options but ive come accross one place which claim their spark is over 300 times more powerful, therefore create a much better environment for fuel to burn. i will plan to do some slightly more hardcore mods further in my cars life so i am contemplating these leads.

NOLOGY!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/CUL8R/hotwireexplod.gif

see NGK is thrown around alot these days but are they really what they're cracked up to be? see theyre cheap as, only 100 bucks! and these are just like the usual leads with a core ect and casing. bla bla same old,
the nology set however come with each lead having its own inbuilt capacitor to improe the power of their spark (to claimed 300 times more powerful), this will result in an advance in ignition timing due to the spark(pulse) travelling faster (i would like this up top) and should stop my bloody ignition issues at certain rpm on occasions.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a309/CUL8R/sparkdiag.gif

Who actually knows anything about GOOD aftermarket leads?

jimmeh
17-04-2006, 06:26 AM
the nology leads are good but u dont need it.
get the blue NGK wires that are just like stock. everyone i know with a high HP honda uses stock leads.

Slow96GSR
17-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Most stock ignition systems actually create enough power and sometimes more than enough to power almost any motor. I only run the Nology wires because they do drop the resistance in the lines and that does help a little, they were also free!! If you want the wires get them when your stock wires need replacing. If you think you are dropping a cyl. or misfiring take it to a pro for proper diagnoses and repair. There could be more to it and I am willing to bet there is. That's my $.02USD ok!

CUL8R
17-04-2006, 12:18 PM
hmmm.
ok well ill explain how it happens and maybe someone here could help me out? it used to be really bad and every morning i would run on three when i put the foot passed 40% thr. sowhat used to happen was i would get out to the engine and cyl 1 would be kinda pushed out (higher than the other boots)
i would push it in and click and viola. this would happen daily. so i went to a place down the road, performance ignition services. so they took apart cyl 1s wire and it was ripped to shreads on the inside. they replaced the leads with low resistance 7mm leads with the stock boots. this helped for a while.

then a couple weeks later i was giving it some vtec in 1st and just at crossover (i have a vafc2) i hit a bad bump under right wheel and still on WOT that car just stopped revving (stationary at 4300rpm) i shifted to 2nd and took it easy, Enginge light goes on.on 3 cyls.

pull over, cars got backfires, turn the car off, turn it back on, all is great! drive home and all is fine.

last night nothing bad would really happen until i would punch 2nd through vtec i would only go on 3 for a while after 4300rpm but in 3rd at the same rpm i was running all 4 cyl fine. i then tried to rev through 1st, got no power from 4000rpm and immediatly after shifting into 2nd the engine light went on. i then turned off the enginge and restart after a couple mins, i developed a miss and at idle it was rough! the way home i tried extra hard to not give more than 30% throttle but on occasions i snuck my way into the drop a cyl zone.
when i was in upper gears (not 1 and 2) i could go WOT and was as if everything was fine. i was near home i dropped it from 4th to 3rd to 2nd and BRAAAAAAP everything was good. my car was fixed.

please, wtf is going on?
this is really hard to replicate as is completely random but looks like it happens when theres a shock to the system.eg hit a bump while in 2nd WOT just before vtec.
when i took it to honda they said everything was fine (which i know isnt the case).

sorry for such a long post but i have to be detailed otherwise someone out there wont be able to help me. im gonna go now to the ignition place, maybe get a resistance check done, and maybe they might be able to figure something out.

would be great if i got home to see some replys :)

CUL8R
17-04-2006, 12:32 PM
nope they're closed today, bloody public holidays!
ill try and get there tomoz but look like wed. please i still would love to see replys, i will try just about anything to fix this fkn thing!

Slow96GSR
17-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you need new wires and plugs! The plugs connector could be stripped causing the leads to come off. Pull them out and check them.

CUL8R
17-04-2006, 03:36 PM
thanx mate, that was my thought exactly, glad to hear someone say the same! i just ordered a new set of the NGK leads but i think ill get irridium plugs too then?

matt
17-04-2006, 10:34 PM
on my mums holden vectra there was an ocasional miss fire that we had heaps of problems tracking down, after numerous lead and plug changes we took it to a different mechanic and it ended up being the coilpack (where the leads connect to on the other end) im not sure what this part is called on a honda but perhaps get your mechanic to check it out as well.

CUL8R
17-04-2006, 11:49 PM
thanx matt! really appreciate the input!

Slow96GSR
18-04-2006, 02:58 AM
...it ended up being the coilpack (where the leads connect to on the other end) im not sure what this part is called on a honda but perhaps get your mechanic to check it out as well.

Distributor.

superR
18-04-2006, 03:14 PM
are you using an after market ecu?

STOCK
18-04-2006, 04:44 PM
he is using vafc 2 piggyback

Civic Type R
18-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I was told by a pro honda engine builder that NOLOGY were crap !

Slow96GSR
18-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I've been told a lot by pro Honda motor builders and you know what I find... they're full of it! When I first built the motor for my car I had to take it to the stealership because I had to go out of town and didn't have time to finish it myself. So they tried to start it up and there was an odd metal-to-metal sound from the motor. The "Pro builder" said we left a socket in the cylinder and that we had to tear it down. My crew all laughed at him!! If a socket had been left in it the motor would have been destroyed. Well with just 1 hour of checking thing we found the VTEC Solenoid valve was up side down and that's all that was wrong. This "Pro builder" builds for the local stealerships and well can't build for shit cuz all his motors seem to blow up and he's never won a race. He says he’s been doing this for 30 years, ok so. So that goes to show not all pros are right. If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion. It’s like the whole 4 out of 5 dentists thing… there’s a lot of dentists here so if 400k out of 500k like it I think I’ll try it for myself and see.

I would buy the Nology wires only if your current ones are bad, you can find them for under $125USD shipped and you want to try something new. They might help and they might not. I can’t say anything bad because every car we race with has them. We have run with out them and noticed a big difference. When you talk 1200hp at the wheels on a GM 350 yes 2% is a lot. Go here (http://www.strathlan.com/CMS/images/SCCA/1600dyno1.JPG) and here ( http://www.strathlan.com/CMS/images/SCCA/1600dyno2.JPG) and tell me what you see on that motor. That came from a national champ car. Now where we have to run that motor pretty much stock @ a big 135hp it might not seem like a lot but when you really can’t go faster with that motor you’ll do anything, with in the rules, to gain power.

CUL8R
28-04-2006, 02:50 PM
UPDATE:
well i upgraded my leads and plugs to NGK items coz my old ones were shot. i ended up finding a distributer with only 10k kms so that ones in now. my car has never felt so good! looks like the biggest issue was with the distributer, possibly bearing? neways problem solved!

Slow96GSR
28-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Awesome! Might have been the coil or just a bad connection too. Glad to hear it's fixed!

CUL8R
29-04-2006, 05:54 AM
yeah im so happy now, no need to worry when i go at WOT whether or not i will be putting all my power to wheels, just generally drives SO much better. distributers are hardly cheap! honda quoted me 900!! glad i found a pretty much new one 2nd hand! 1/3 the price, the money i saved on this will be paying for my whiteline sways! lol

Zilli
01-05-2006, 12:39 PM
yeah im so happy now, no need to worry when i go at WOT whether or not i will be putting all my power to wheels, just generally drives SO much better. distributers are hardly cheap! honda quoted me 900!! glad i found a pretty much new one 2nd hand! 1/3 the price, the money i saved on this will be paying for my whiteline sways! lol

nice one bro

yeh i ahd a friend a while back was quoted thereabout by honda for his gsi teggy, and a 6 month wait????

ridiculous

i used to have these problems with my N13 pulsar, i wish i wouldve seen this thread earlier i woulda tried to help, but the solenoid in the dizzy was shot, thats what caused it

enjoy the ride man

dsp26
02-05-2006, 09:24 AM
These are awesome leads. its almost as good as upgrading coils, however they corrode quicly and have a noticeably shorter lifespan than standard leads due to the capacitor. this can be tested with a multimeter. you will notice slight increase in ohms resistance over a few months. but then again some leads are like this anyway.

there is a company in NZ that sells direct to Australia if anyones interested. I'll look em up as i was interested int hese ages ago.