PDA

View Full Version : CB7 Headlight Issue

scott1e
17-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Gday,

For one reason or another the bulb which has been shining bright for 16 years on my 90' EXi Accord has finally passed away.. Now heres my dilemma.. Im not very good with this sort of thing (for the sheer fact that I havent attempted it before) but I was wondering how hard it would be to replace the blown bulb, and even the other bulb with some new/improved bulbs.. Im not sure how it will work with the stock housing ect but Im looking at something that is going to be alot brighter, last longer, and wont **** my fuses' up ect ect

Can anyone either point me out to a D.I.Y (I searched and couldnt find any) to replace the bulb.. And could someone also please reccomend me a pair of bulbs which will be alot brighter, and will suit the housing/fuses/wiring of the CB7 Accord..

EDIT: Cost is a little bit of an issue.. Obviously If I want some good bulbs its going to cost a bit but Im not made of money, keep that in mind :P

Cheers

scott1e
17-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Alternatively if someone could point out what I need to remove to change the bulb in these pictures that will do me..

Im assuming that Ill need to remove the three silver clips and then break the sealing to remove the front casing of the light..

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6017/17040614125vp.th.jpg (http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=17040614125vp.jpg)

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8972/17040614139sq.th.jpg (http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=17040614139sq.jpg)

Cheers

scott1e
17-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Righto.. scrap the first part.. With the help of some CB7 specific forums based in America I was able to remove the dodgy globe.. Now my only problem is replacing them with some new ones..

Could someone please specificy some bright HID's or Halogens (assuming there is a difference between these two) that would suit.. I want brightness and long life from them..

My mate accidently broke the globe when trying to remove it from the socket.. (as shown below)

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8771/17040615210ek.th.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=17040615210ek.jpg)

So I assume that the new globe will come with its own socket?

Cheers

Eclipsor
17-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Yep the new globe will come ready to just plug in. How much are you looking to spend? HID kits start at around $300 and I'm fairly sure it's not just a matter of plug and play. If you do a search in the traders section of the forums there are a number of bulb options for a range of prices. I recently replaced a blown bulb in my cb3 with a BJUnion one from a trader and am happy with it. Hope this helps, let me know if you'd like more details and I'll see what I can find.

Xplodin
18-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Eclipsor is right, Bubles comes ready to plug and play.

I have a CD5 Accord with HID's. Now just keep in-mind that installing HID's are illegal, Don't know why they are, but to meet ADR (Australian Driving Regulations) you must have Headlight washers, and Auto Leveling HID's. Thats the only way to make it legal. HID's are illegal and you can end up with a fine and a Defect if you have these. The best thing about having HID's is its Awsum Glow on the street and signs. They pretty much jump right out at you. All so, HID's glow a more bluer/Whiter light, depending on which one you choose (rages from 4,300K -12,000K) HID's are rated in K (K for Kelvin/s) The more higher the K value the More bluer/Purple the light is going to be, but this doesnt light up the road as much and has very poor vision. If you what to have really good lighting, Choose something in the range of 4300K -6500K I woundn't go out of that range. 4,300K will give off a yellow/white light, and 6500K will give off a Nice White/Light Blue Tinge. I myself have 6500K and i couldnt ask for more. Lights up the road perfect. But HID's arent just a blub and isnt a just pulg and play. HID Blubs require a larger amount of voltage to pass through to excite the particles to give off light. From memory HID Requires 24,000Volts. The only way of getting this kind of voltage to the blubs is by using a Ballast and an Ignitor. Which just conncets right up to the system you have. The best thing is the power it uses is only 35Watts compared to Halogens which use 55Watts. Also, the heat that HID's Give off is much less than what Halogens produce. They also last alot longer than your average Halogen Blub as well. Installing HID's are pretty easy. Its just a matter of finding the right point to put your ballast and thats it plug and play and your away.

With Halogen lighting, its just a matter of finding the right blub that suits you. Many people like to use 110Watt blubs but this can affect the housing and can be dangerous as it draws alot more current than your average 55W blub. Choose Wisely, as there are many brands out there who clam to be more brighter than the average blub. And other claming to be HID, but they only tint the glass to give you that blue tinge. If you were going to stick to Halogens, i'd recommend "NAVARA Arctic Blues" Discharges a nice white light, but still has that yellow look to it. Probly the best i've ever used interms of car lighting.

What ever you choose, dont be a cheapo (as it is tempting), go for the good stuff and known brands. Read up about them and do your research. PM me if you need more info. But i hope that helps you!

scott1e
18-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Cheers for that mate..

I have bought a cheapo replacement for one of them for the time being but im looking at getting some new ones off one of the traders here quite soon..

Im thinking about getting these bulbs which have an input of 60/55W and claim to have an output of 110W... Would this be an overheating issue here because I dont want the housing to melt ect ect.. I assume since the input is fine then this bulb shouldnt be a problem (because im sure despite it claiming 110W/130W that it doesnt actually get that bright)

If there lights WILL overheat then please let me know..

Cheers

scott1e
18-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Ontop of this where on earth do I change the globes for the parkers? I looked where I change the headlight bulb and couldnt find where the parkers were..

Cheers

Xplodin
27-04-2006, 09:13 AM
you need to take the corner lights out before you can change the parkers.

And no u shouldnt have a overheating issue with the blub. if they are rated at 60/55w then its ok. but if they were rated at 60/110w then you'll have an issue. But ur globes are just rated at 60/55 but output 60/110 so its fine.