PDA

View Full Version : oil light flashing

bside
17-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey guys,

My oil light flashes while im driving. Its not constant flashing, its sometimes when i take a turn or hit a bump.

There is another thread in regards to this.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11101&highlight=oil+light

What i want to know is that, what can I DO to make the light stop flashing. If i take it to the mechanic, how much will it cost?

thanks.

yourfather
17-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Put oil into the engine.
Because oil is a liquid, when you turn a corner, it will probably move around in the oil pan down the bottom.

Pull out your dip-stick and check to see if you have low oil.

If you have not got enough oil in the engine,

On top of the engine locate the oil fill cap. It will usually say "Oil" or "Oil Fill" on it. Most of the time it's on top of a valve cover. Unscrew it and pour in the proper amount and type of oil recommended for your vehicle. Look in your owners' manual for the proper type of oil and the location of the oil fill if it's not obvious.

After you have the oil in, replace the oil fill cap and wipe up some of the oil you might have spilled.

Usually fixes the low oil problem.

e240
17-04-2006, 11:03 PM
The oil light is an indicator of low or no oil pressure. This means no oil is being pumped through the engine and could result in catastrophic engine failure, at worst.

I'm surprise that you've been ignoring it and continuing to drive.

1st off, I'll check the oil level. If the levels' ok, then better get a mechanic to check it out. Hopefully it might just be a ferked pressure switch.

bside
18-04-2006, 12:00 AM
hey guys, i've checked my oil levels, and my dipper shows no sign of oil!! :( anyhow i had like i think 1 litre of oil left...and poured it in...for now...need to go to work tomorrow and prob stop at the petrol station to fill her up with oil. The oil i have is/and using is from honda, High Performance Engine Oil FEO, SAE 10W-30 SJ. I know petrol stations wont have these honda oils, but what engine oil can i use to mix with honda oil?

bside
18-04-2006, 12:05 AM
also, even though im going to top up my oil, obviously there is a leak somewhere, should i just change my oil filter and oil drain plug?

Fr3aKi3
18-04-2006, 12:23 AM
It might not be a oil leak, engines do actually burn up oil. If not checked regularly or serviced often the level will get low.

Do you usually park the car in the same spot? If so take a look at the area where the car is parked, if there are fresh oils stains then your car is leaking oil. Check around the oil filter and oil pan where the drain bolt is for leakages (ie build up of oil). As for leaks from the drain bolt, about 3 wraps of thread tape is enough to stop leaks.

Personally I always change the oil filter when i change the oil. If you think about it, the oil will always pass through the oil filter. So if you have new clean oil passing through a dirty old oil filter, chances are the oil will get dirty quicker. In my books New oil + new oil filter = :thumbsup:

i'm not too well versed in oils, but i would think that since you are currently using a 10W-30 oil then use a matching oil from the petrol station. There should be recommendations on the labels so read those and see if they're suitable. Or ask the mechanic (if there is one) at the petrol station. Or just wait for someone to confirm on the forum.

bside
18-04-2006, 11:58 AM
last night i checked the oil dipper and there was no oil, first instance, an oil leak, but didn't find any flaws, so presumed i burnt it all (been thrashing the car lately on the way to work). I filled up 1litre of 10w-30 (honda feo) and 3 litres of 10w-40 (Castrol Magnatec)...sounds real stupid, but is that ok? the reason why i put 1 litre of honda oil and 3 litres of castrol was because, i thought i'd top up 1 litre (this is 2am in the morning) just to get to petrol station when i wake up to get to work, then thought farrk it,ill go petrol station now, and then got castrol magnatec oil, and then put 3 litres.

btw i have not changed the oil filter but will do that, car is due for oil changed in the next 1500kms.

aaronng
18-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Mixing it with Magnatec is fine. But hopefully you didn't give it a thrash while the light was on.

bside
18-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Mixing it with Magnatec is fine. But hopefully you didn't give it a thrash while the light was on.

ok thanks!

bside
18-04-2006, 01:57 PM
hey guys, man im so stupid. I checked my dip and now its over the maximum...bought another 5 litres of castrol magnatec and going to change the oil again, and put in a new oil filter. There goes $40 to waste of oil i just put in yesterday. why? cause i had no oil at all in my engine...how come? leak? oil burnt....
how bad if the engine oil is topped over the maximum, its about 1 and half cm over the max.

aaronng
18-04-2006, 02:06 PM
You should take some out. usually up to 5mm over the max is ok...

And your engine should take about 4L when changing. So when topping up, expect to put in less, and when changing oil, expect about 4L.

EuroDude
18-04-2006, 02:12 PM
You might want to change the oil since you mixed them - I did it once and a few days later the car gave out alot of white smoke which cant be good, although the engine was fine the next day.

And the older the engine is, the more oil it eats up, so if its done 100000km+ you should check the oil level once a week and top up if needed.

bside
18-04-2006, 02:30 PM
You should take some out. usually up to 5mm over the max is ok...

And your engine should take about 4L when changing. So when topping up, expect to put in less, and when changing oil, expect about 4L.

ok, its well over 5mm. yeah takes about 4L but car was due for an oil change in the next 1500kms. but it had no engine oil so i needed to put more in (with the same oil filter). None the less, i need to change the oil because 1) its over the maximum, 2) its using the same oil filter from last service.
I think i'll double check my oil level when topping up, just to be sure lol.

yourfather
18-04-2006, 02:38 PM
did you put all 5 litres in?

bside
18-04-2006, 02:46 PM
did you put all 5 litres in?

no no, i put 1 litre of honda feo, and 3 litres of castrol magnatec. why this mixture, read the past post. so 4 litres altogether.

aaronng
18-04-2006, 03:01 PM
ok, its well over 5mm. yeah takes about 4L but car was due for an oil change in the next 1500kms. but it had no engine oil so i needed to put more in (with the same oil filter). None the less, i need to change the oil because 1) its over the maximum, 2) its using the same oil filter from last service.
I think i'll double check my oil level when topping up, just to be sure lol.
Well, at least $40 is better than having it sieze because of no engine oil. :)
Remember to change the drain bolt crush washer as well!

elim
18-04-2006, 04:16 PM
bside, when are you checking the dipstick ?

No I don't have intentions of insulting your intelligence but I thought I'd confirm lol because one minute you're saying you're running low and the next you've overfilled so yeh.

I admit, there was a time when i checked the dipstick right after shutting off engine and i was "wtf no oil".

bside
18-04-2006, 05:40 PM
bside, when are you checking the dipstick ?

No I don't have intentions of insulting your intelligence but I thought I'd confirm lol because one minute you're saying you're running low and the next you've overfilled so yeh.

I admit, there was a time when i checked the dipstick right after shutting off engine and i was "wtf no oil".

im checking the dipstick a few hours or so after i've driven on leveled ground.

Just to let you know if you read my posts, what I said was, I was running low because i put my dipstick in and no oil was present. I went out later that night and topped it up, and I overfilled it lol.

ok you admit to what you did, but was there really no oil? or because after you've turned off your car?

ECU-MAN
18-04-2006, 09:25 PM
dude what you should do is leave your oil in the car, it does ot matter that you mixed the two oils, just change the oil filter only, then start yoiur engine, stop it then check the oil level, it would have dropped due to oil filter filling up, if its still over by more than to mm, you can drain some out from the plug. you really dont have to drain all the oil becausde its overfull

bside
18-04-2006, 11:35 PM
dude what you should do is leave your oil in the car, it does ot matter that you mixed the two oils, just change the oil filter only, then start yoiur engine, stop it then check the oil level, it would have dropped due to oil filter filling up, if its still over by more than to mm, you can drain some out from the plug. you really dont have to drain all the oil becausde its overfull

so drain the "newly-used oil" out (3 days old), and then put a new oil filter on? and then re-use the "newly-used oil"....the "newly-used oil" has been used with a 9000kms oil filter (it was due for service in another 1000kms).??

Weq
20-04-2006, 09:01 AM
why does it take 2 pages to figure this one out... :(

Do a full oil change/service, NOW. Stops the confusion. $40 is a small wakeup call for u, never let ur oil get that low again.

Limbo
24-04-2006, 10:36 PM
hehe <--- yeah better to learn from the little mistakes. Your lucky your engine didn't sieze up and have to replace your engine!