PDA

View Full Version : is it the dizzy??

Jazzle
18-04-2006, 05:17 PM
can u guys tell me wat's wrong with my car?? normally it's running very well however when the water temperature gets pretty high, the car will start losing power and will go very jerky @ <2000rpm.. (guess due to the lack of power in pushing the car)... car will run smooth again once the water temperature decreases..

Also, my car CANNOT rev pass 5000rpm!!! it feels like a fuel cut, but i know the rev limit of my car is around 6300rpm!!... are these problems related??

please help..

EuroDude
18-04-2006, 06:41 PM
How high is the temperature going up to? Is it going past the halfway point? If yes, then your thermistat could be faulty, or you need to top up the coolant level. Check the coolant reservior level.

Otherwise it could be bad spark plugs, take them out and lightly sandpaper the contacts as a temporary solution, or simply replace them. Or if you have cleaned the engine bay, water may have gone down into the sparkplug holes causing shorting.

In my experience with Dizzy problems, it completely fails a few minutes after problems start and wont turn on again. So I dont think its the dizzy.

Do you get any ECU codes? Short the ECU pins and watch the engine light for coded flashes. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218&highlight=DIY+ECU

Also check the engine oil level, hopefully its not running dry.

Jazzle
18-04-2006, 06:57 PM
the car just had a major service done...
just replaced the coolant and spark plugs few weeks ago..
and water temp always stays around half way or a bit lower... i know normally the water temp should stay abit above 1/4 but my car only goes smooth when temperature is less than 1/4 ...

I just bought the car and gave it a big service before i start driving it so Im not sure if the problem was there before the service..

I did clean the engine bay myself though so could be the problem
if it is i just need to take out the spark plug and dry theM?

EuroDude
18-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Yep remove the sparkies and clean off any gunk/water, and clean the sparkplug holes too, but be careful not to drop foreign matter into the engine.
If there is alot of gunk in the holes, you may want to use an air compressor to blow out the gunk before removing the sparkies. Or you can get a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle/pipe at the end and vacuum the gunk up.

Normally the temp should be just under half way when warmed up. If its at 1/4 when the car is warmed up, then the thermestat may need replacing (its stuck open). But this wouldnt really cause major performance problems.

Slow96GSR
18-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Ya, I bet there is water down in the plug holes and it's shorting the spark plug wire causing there to be no spark in the cylinders. Same thing happened to me a while back. If I hadn't heard the water boiling I would have never found it. Nothing too bad will happen if you find it kind of quick.

bigjo5
18-04-2006, 08:24 PM
does ur car backfire now though? and alot of black smoke commin out of ur exhaust if it does most likley u have water in ur spark plug holes

ECU-MAN
18-04-2006, 08:51 PM
you also could of got water on the dizzy

phantom_civic
18-04-2006, 09:26 PM
This happened to me before check ur sparkies for gunk as mentioned!!

Jazzle
18-04-2006, 11:52 PM
thanx for the advice guys.. much appreciated.. i think i do hear backfire when the car was losing power.. normally, it runs well and no backfire..

what can i do if water gets into dizzy? do i just take off the dizzy cap and dry it??
i will definitely take out the sparkies and had a good look.. hopefuly it will solve all the problems.. as i was told by a mechanic that i may have to change the dizzy coils, and spark plug leads... that will cost me quite a lot of money =(

Jazzle
19-04-2006, 01:47 PM
car's fixed now. thank you very much guys..
happen to be a tuning problem... though i dont really understand wat exactly happeend but peter from hannys fixed it for me