PDA

View Full Version : Thailand built Jazz problems?

lokets
19-04-2006, 12:39 AM
The 2006 Jazz in Australia is a minor update with full size spare, integrated turn indicator in mirror, folding mirror, shorten rear mounted antenna, LED high-mount & rear lights, etc. It all sounds good, and the price is lower than preceding models. The reason, among others such as the sharply priced new 2006 Civic sedan, is also that Jazz is now sourced from Thailand.

I am interested in a replacement Jazz for my current one (giving me some grief) but wonder if anyone hear/read/know of any issues with quality, such as fit & finish, component reliability with Thailand built Jazz? I believe Honda Thailand has been doing this for Jazz's in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand.

But are these Jazz's in some way inferior to the previous Japan built ones? Not that you have any choice if you want a new Jazz - only from Thailand.

Does anyone also know if the main components, like engine & transmission are actually made in say Japan, but assembled in Thailand, which is not too bad, I guess. :confused:

Fit1500_GD3
19-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Thailand is the main of parts source,Many factories based at here,Quality is passed as same as japan headquarter.But labour costs is very cheaper but QC is standardized. ;)

spoon fit
19-04-2006, 06:46 AM
folding mirror!? electric?

CJW07
19-04-2006, 02:52 PM
I bought my 2006 Jazz VTi-S in early March at the Motor show, was told delivery was early April, now i have just been informed it will more likely be early May. it is apparently on the first lot into the country :o

I would love to let you know about the build quality, i just need my car first :(

Chris. :mad:

PaZzMaN-R
19-04-2006, 03:45 PM
hey fellas, the jazzes are in the country and we expecting one in our showroom this week. i will let you know if i can see any quality and fitment differences.

Lokets if you in syd im the man to come and see about a new jazz:)

whos the dealer you bought it off cjw07 because more likely then not they going to under promis and over deliver you your car.

z3lda
19-04-2006, 03:48 PM
thailand is pretty civilized, unlike vietnam.

lokets
19-04-2006, 04:48 PM
folding mirror!? electric?

Yes, this is a direct copy & paste from this URL: http://www.honda.com.au/lwp/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/News/Honda's+"cunning+plan"+for+Jazz

Notice the bits in red (for VTi).

And by the way, what the heck is "escussion"?!?! Even google returns no result for such a word - maybe a typo.

------

Honda's "cunning plan" for Jazz
4 April 2006

The man immortalised as Baldrick (“I have a cunning plan”) in the ‘Blackadder’ TV series, actor Tony Robinson, is the voice of Honda’s newest television commercial.

Created to coincide with the launch of the new Thai-built, facelifted 2006 Jazz range, the commercial is influenced by the “Thomas the Tank Engine” children’s series and features a Jazz driving through a toy world made up of a quintessential English village.

Tony Robinson voices the Jazz and other toy cars in the 60-second commercial.

Choosing to take the Jazz from Honda’s Thailand factories means Honda Australia can now offer air conditioning and keyless entry on the Jazz GLi for $15,990 RRP. The out-going Jazz GLi equipped with air conditioning cost $17,390.

The entire Jazz range also receives a full-size spared wheel and new LED tail and high-mounted rear stop lights.

To view the new 2006 Jazz TV commercial, visit: www.eversonice.com.au

Changes to Jazz GLi

Full-size spare wheel
Keyless entry
LED tail lights
LED high mounted stop light
Chrome inner door handles
Chrome hand brake knob
Aluminium CVT escussion
Aluminium manual transmission surround
New wheel cover design
Clear side turn indicator on bumper
Interior colour change: Blue/Black and Grey/Black

Changes to Jazz VTi and VTi-S

Full size spare wheel
LED tail lights
LED high mounted stop light
Chrome inner door handles
Chrome hand brake knob
Aluminium CVT escussion
Aluminium manual transmission surround
New wheel cover design (VTi only)
Side turn indicator in door mirror
Power retractable door mirrors
Rear centre mounted antenna

2006 Jazz prices*

Manual Automatic
Jazz GLi $15,990 $17,990
Jazz VTi $17,990 $20,290
Jazz VTi-S $20,390 $22,690

*Includes GST. Excludes dealer delivery and statutory charges. Metallic and pearlescent paint $300 extra on some models.

lokets
19-04-2006, 04:52 PM
hey fellas, the jazzes are in the country and we expecting one in our showroom this week. i will let you know if i can see any quality and fitment differences.

Lokets if you in syd im the man to come and see about a new jazz:)

whos the dealer you bought it off cjw07 because more likely then not they going to under promis and over deliver you your car.

Thanks PaZzMaN-R but I'm over in Brisbane. Will just have to wait until the Thai Jazz filters into the showroom, too much work to fly to SYD to check it out there.

But would appreciate very much your own observations on the quality, built and other differences on the Thai Jazz's which may not be apparent as my ideas are based on paper at this point.

I have to first trade in my old 1.3 GLi CVT (or sell it off direct) before I can think of a fancy new manual 1.5 VTi. :( My wife is not happy about manual transmission but I assured her it's the slickest gear change in the business, haha...

lokets
19-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Despite the face lifted 2006 Jazz in OZ being so cool & nice, I would wish for these remaining items and if these are available/included, to me, the Jazz is complete (in order of desirability):

1. Side/curtain air-bags (at least available as an option)
2. Drive-by-wire throttle
3. Integrated cruize control (not after market)
4. All disc brakes - not front disk & back drum

5. A more useful trip computer showing like: distance to empty tank
6. Side pockets for the back doors

BTW, some of these wishes are already available in Jazz's outside OZ.

STTICH
19-04-2006, 05:25 PM
damn.. the 06 update jazzes are getting so tasty..:thumbsup:

now money spent on pre 05 jazz just went to waste as all things now come standards..:confused:

Jus-10
19-04-2006, 05:51 PM
tell me about it....i have a 2003 with a 2006 rear end now! Which by the way cost me about $700 for the update some 18 months ago...now I won't be different any more.

I just want the power foldable door mirrors damn it.

I can't wait to check one out...I would even consider an upgrade if it wasn't so much trouble to remove everything from my car and transfer it across....

Even then, the resale for my car has just been hit hard and the fact that it still only has 17,000km on it, I probably can't justify it for a couple of little niceities.

I need to drive more first!

spoon fit
19-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I just want the power foldable door mirrors damn it.

me too

MiSloVic
19-04-2006, 09:54 PM
The 2006 Jazz in Australia is a minor update with full size spare, integrated turn indicator in mirror, folding mirror, shorten rear mounted antenna, LED high-mount & rear lights, etc. It all sounds good, and the price is lower than preceding models. The reason, among others such as the sharply priced new 2006 Civic sedan, is also that Jazz is now sourced from Thailand.

I am interested in a replacement Jazz for my current one (giving me some grief) but wonder if anyone hear/read/know of any issues with quality, such as fit & finish, component reliability with Thailand built Jazz? I believe Honda Thailand has been doing this for Jazz's in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand.

But are these Jazz's in some way inferior to the previous Japan built ones? Not that you have any choice if you want a new Jazz - only from Thailand.

Does anyone also know if the main components, like engine & transmission are actually made in say Japan, but assembled in Thailand, which is not too bad, I guess. :confused:

sorry bro, Jazz in Singapore is from Japan. but singapore also gets the city, which is made in thailand, and this model share quite a number of parts with jazz.

honda is so confident with city's quality, that it is actually exported back to japan, to be sold as the sedan jazz version. this goes to show how much faith honda has in its thai city.. and don't be surprised that ur so called 'japan' jazz is not 100% made in japan. it could have very well used parts from thailand.

Fr3aKi3
19-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Just for those who think a thai made Honda will have questionable build quality then take a read of this article: Click me! (http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11283&vf=7&bg=36&pp=2)

Although it is about the new Civic, it does indicate that there isn't a lack of quality in newer Thai built Honda's. Hence the reviewer states:

Try as I might, I couldn't fault this one. Panel fit, paint finish, cabin materials and switch gear were all A-grade.

lokets
19-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Yes, from the new Thai built Civic, we can see glimpse of high quality of the Thai factory. Hopefully, this also translates well into high quality Thai Jazz's too.

Honda seems to be very confident of their Thailand operation and that has became their regional manufacturing hub. I guess if Honda Australia stands behind their product from Thailand, it should be good enough - the Honda quality image is quite priceless, and it would be foolish to mess it up.

Having said that, any one knows if the major components, and I mean the engine & transmission are actually made outside Thailand or not?

It seems the Thailand factory actually does quite important engine components - see this link: http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=10519.

It says in part: ... Processes conducted at the HATC engine plant currently include molding and machining of the cylinder block and machining of the cylinder head, both key components of an engine. These components are supplied domestically in Thailand as well as to Honda operations in other ASEAN and South West Asian countries ...

Another thing: since Jazz is around for several years now, would you think the 2006 Jazz handling and ride actually improved compared to earlier say 2002-3 models? There are indications in UK sites that such is the case but I'm not sure if the same holds for OZ imported Jazz's.

MiSloVic
20-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Just for those who think a thai made Honda will have questionable build quality then take a read of this article: Click me! (http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11283&vf=7&bg=36&pp=2)

Although it is about the new Civic, it does indicate that there isn't a lack of quality in newer Thai built Honda's. Hence the reviewer states:

well, i cant really say the new thai civic is as well made as jap hondas..

on the demo car which i drove the other day, there were a few of glaring fit/finish problems.. the strip of plastic around the speedo was rather unevenly fitted, and the sunroof was making a rattling sound when i drove with it opened.

it just be the 1st-yr syndrome which all cars go through, though..

but i am impressed with how much improved this 8th gen civic was, compared to the 7th gen.

lokets
20-04-2006, 02:24 PM
By the way, when someone actually gets the Thai-made Jazz (particularly VTi), can you please confirm:

1. If rear brake is indeed drum - becoz many Jazz out of Thailand have disk at the back.

2. Whether the body color is also painted inside the head light unit - just like the way it is shown on the Honda Thailand web site. That will be cool.

3. If the player is MP3 capable - highly doubtful, the Thailand domestic version is, but has a different control front face.

4. Any thing else that's different on the inside, as compared with say the older VTi.

Thanks alot. Have fun.

CJW07
20-04-2006, 02:29 PM
1.-Rear brake IS drum

2.- Not sure, don't think so

3.- ICE is NOT MP3 compatable- PITA :(

4, pretty much the same inside.

Chris. :)

Poeter
20-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Just had a peek at the Thai built jazz today.

Quality is pretty much on par with Japanese built jazz.

Personally, i like the Japan built. The side mirrors on the new jazz looks squarish/rectangular (sorta like the previous civic vi's) and i also prefer the metallic finish rather than chrome finish on the internal door handle + hand-brake button).

However, i do like the new thai's led taillight and its price.

MRFIT
20-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I'll wait for the whole new model Jazz til upgrade.....(i think its due 2008?) i can't wait to see what it will look like, i bet its going to be very spaceship like.... hehe... like the new Odessy and Civic.....

lokets
21-04-2006, 07:54 AM
I'll wait for the whole new model Jazz til upgrade.....(i think its due 2008?) i can't wait to see what it will look like, i bet its going to be very spaceship like.... hehe... like the new Odessy and Civic.....

New Jazz is rumoured to be due in 2007, so we don't have to wait too long, but for someone like me stuck in a dire situation, may have to buy first and regret later.

Honda is going through some regeneration process, like Mazda few years ago, their newer designs are better, less boring, exciting, etc. Hence, new 2007+ Jazz would predictably be really good - or that's my hope. ;)

edw-R
21-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Jap honda's car and exported Jap honda's car are always different.

Jus-10
22-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I went to the local Honda dealer this afternoon to check out the new Jazz (and the Civic Sport) and I must say that I am impressed with the quiality...nothing at all like I was expecting.

Can't even tell the difference so go for it.

There is a new blue as well which is a bit girly....

As for the tail lights, both the GLi and VTi have clear rear indicators, while the VTi-S has smoked indicators (in Japan the 1.3 has clear and 1.5 has smoked).

Also, the new hup caps on the GLi and VTi look really crap/cheap IMO.

Seems like I pretty good deal to me at the current prices.

After checking out the new Sport Civic, I could be sold.....I'm going to go for a test drive next week.

MiSloVic
23-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Jap honda's car and exported Jap honda's car are always different.

kinda interesting point..do they have seperate production lines to make hondas for japan domestic use and for export from japan?

most of the differences are just specs differences. mechanicals are basically the same.