PDA

View Full Version : Cigg Lighter Question

MIRZ
19-04-2006, 11:39 AM
my understanding is that cigg lighters are normaly connected to ACCESSORY wire, and work only when your car key is IN and Turned to accessory point.

i wanna change it direct to battery so it will work all the time no matter my key is in or not.

Reason:
my navman is connected through cigg lighter plug and every time i turn off engine and restart the car, it turns off navman and then i have to restart it from the start.

thats why i want cigg lighter connection to get direct 12volts all the time from battery.

do you think is there any harm in doing this? can it damage anything else?

is it just easy to change wire on back of cigg lighter or do i have need to change on lot of places.? thanks in advance for your advise. :wave:

integral90
19-04-2006, 11:41 AM
i don't think it would be that hard, but you gotta be careful always having something powered cause you'll go to the car and it won't start one morning. i learned that after falling asleep in the car with air conditioner and radio on, lol

MIRZ
19-04-2006, 11:46 AM
i remove navman everytime i park my car for a while, but it is just too annoying when you simply stop your car in front of some place for a min (while sitting in your car).

it keeps it ON (key in still in) just like your radio, but when you restart your engine, radio restarts automaticaly but navman turns off and dont restart untill you go through the whole thing.

Jr
19-04-2006, 12:17 PM
You can buy cig lighter port which you can then wire to the batt even put a swich in there aswell and leave the original cig light as it is.

ECU-MAN
19-04-2006, 11:14 PM
if you want to make it constantly powered, then
unplug the orig wiring, run another wire from the fuesbox, Make sure its fused, and power it.

you can always revert back to the stock wiring if you want to.

fues is most important, dont go putting in 20amp fues, use a 10A or 7.5A to be safe.

MIRZ
20-04-2006, 01:21 PM
thanks for all your replies.

will give direct positive to lighter instead one from accessory. and put a 10A fuse on that direct wire (as ECU-MAN advised).