PDA

View Full Version : opinions on focal speakers. and few other questions

nugget666
19-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Ok in my Ek im looking at replacing stock speakers.

I have found these speakers that come into my budget. (500$)

Focal poly glass series "Polyglass 165 CV1"

Also They audio guy said its hard to replace the 6 x 9's in the back as some customising needs to be done?

So i thought i would just replace the 6 x 9's and the front with the same speakers.

I will be running teh speakers of my jvc headunit.

I am currently have a 12' sub If thats makes any diffrence.

I also want them be louder then stock speakers could go.

description

165 mm. 2-way coax
Voice Coil

25 mm
Motor

85 mm
Tweeter

Orientable aluminium inverted dome
Filter

6 dB/oct.
Max. power handling

140 W
Nom. power handling

70 W
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m)

93 dB
Frequency response

60 Hz - 20 KHz

Grilles supplied

Here are the Jbl's i found

P652

ower Handling, RMS 75 Watts
Power Handling, Peak 165 Watts
Sensitivity 90dB
Frequency Response (±3dB) 45Hz - 23kHz
Mounting Depth 2-1/4"
Impedance 4 Ohms

Fr3aKi3
19-04-2006, 08:06 PM
The focal 165V1's are nice speakers, personally i preferred the sound of the 165 V2's more though. They are a little bit more pricey.

Mods in the back to replace the 6x9's? Either they're telling you BS so they can charge some 'modifcation fees' when installing the 6x9's or you got confused.
The 6x9's can be replaced WITHOUT modifications, it's just a bitch to do since you have too pull out the plastic trim.

The front speakers however are only 6", so if you want to fit 6.5" splits (in which the 165v1's are 6.5") then some modification would be needed. I'replaced the front set of speaker's over the weekend as a temporary fix until i can get my hands on some really good splits and the stock location is tiny, there's isn't much room for a decent sized magnet unless a pod is made or some of the plastic is cut.

Have a listen to both sets and see which set you prefer. I liked the sound that the Focal's produced.

just FYI, i'd got a 99 model ek1 sedan
JVC KD-SHX855 headunit
Digital Designs C4 amp
Pioneer TS-D691R 6x9's in the rear (no mods needed to fit these)
Pioneer 306C sub (all i can afford for now... until i get a better sub :p )
Some cheapo pioneer 6" speakers i got from strathies ages ago to temporarily replace the stock speaker which are actually pioneers)

Things to do/get:
SD the front doors, maybe the boot as well
A Monoblock for the sub
Front Splits

As for getting the speakers to pump louder than stock, amp them up. They'll sound better and go much louder. They'll sound alrite running straight off the headunit, but if you want the most out of the speakers an amp is the best way to go.

Nuttz
19-04-2006, 08:21 PM
:thumbsup: thats some good info there Fr3aki3

nugget666
19-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your detailed reply.

I am looking at the 165 CV1 there coaxials basicly the 165v1's but there splits.

I was told this speaker is a straight fit into the front door.
and im just going to get the same 6' speakers to go into the back. insterad of 6 x 9's

I would probly just run the 4 speakers
of my jvc HU as i dont want to spend more money. AS i can always amp them later on if there not as i want them.

I have listend to both the focals sounded the cleanest.

Im just wanting them to go louder and ncier soudning of the headunit then the stock speakers.

Fr3aKi3
19-04-2006, 09:43 PM
:thumbsup: thats some good info there Fr3aki3

Thanks mate =)
Just trying to do my bit and be helpful on OH!

As for a straight fitment i'm not 100% sure on that. The temporary speakers i used are similar to these clicky (http://www.pioneer.com.au/car_entertainment/speakers/tsg1647/index.html)

They weren't exactly a perfect fit since, i had to bend one of the mounts to make it fit. I had a quick look at the dimensions for the Pioneer's and Focal's:

Pioneers........Focals
171mm..........165mm --- Diameter, i think the Pioneer set includes the mounts, hence the 171mm
70mm.............68mm --- mounting depth

So by looking at those dimension it'll look like it'll fit. Will you be installing it yourself or getting a professional to install it? Reason why I ask is because if you still have stock speakers you'll have to cut the wires since the stock speakers are connect with a plug. I'm not too sure on what terminals the Focal's have (whether it's just insulated wire or some other connectors), so i can't help u with that.

Just so you know the front speaker grilles on ek1 sedan's pop out quite easily, all you need to get them off is a flathead screw driver. Slip the screwdriver in the gap between the grille and door trim on the top section of the grille and gently pry it out, then moving the screwdriver to a diff position further along the top and nudge the grille out. It should've popped out enough for you to just take it out using your hands, but take it easy since its only held on with clips which CAN BREAK!!!

Edit: Left something out.... lol

They'll still sound pretty good straight from just the headunit. They'll definitely sound much nicer than the stockies and probably louder as well, but you just wont be using them to their full potential.

Goodluck with it all.
:)

nugget666
20-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I think i will get the focals. themn amp them later on down teh track when i find a cheap amp that is still decent.

EDIT : i have looked on the jaycar website. there amps seem cheap?

Power / channel @ 4ohm 14.4V: 80WRMS x 2
Power / channel @ 2ohm 14.4V: 100WRMS x 2
Power / bridged @ 4ohm 14.4V: 200WRMS x 1

How does that sound to run my fronts?

Fr3aKi3
22-04-2006, 05:01 PM
50watts rms would be enough for daily use.

Jaycar amps are good value for money, some people have had issues with noise but i think that's been rectified now.

Just remember that power isn't everything, take a look at one of the stickies, FHRX (Marty) posted a guide in regards to amp specs and what they all mean. It's a good read.

nugget666
22-04-2006, 07:12 PM
How are jaycar speakers i found thses

For 120$... some people say they sound good?

Features:
-Kevlar cone
-Titanium Dome Tweeters with Neodymium magnets
-Adjustable Swivel Mount Tweeters
-12dB/octave crossovers

Power Handling: 75WRMS
Impedance: 4 ohm
Voice Coil Resistance: 3.9ohm
Vas: 12.183
Qms: 3.401
Qes: 0.666
Qts: 0.557
Sensitivity: 91.3dB/Wm
BL: 4.981 TM
Dimensions: 157(Dia) x 77(D)mm
A: 157 B: 148 C: 78

Chris_F
22-04-2006, 07:22 PM
focal speakers have great clarity. I used to have a set on my car. When you power them properly they really come to life.

Check your PM I still have my old ones... (focal 165kf 6.5" splits and focal 690hc 6x9's)

Fr3aKi3
22-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Jaycar speakers are also known for their value for money. It's best to have a listen to them and see which you prefer.

Nuttz
22-04-2006, 09:23 PM
jaycar speakers are pretty good for the money.. i think the mid range is slightly lacking though. But the sound is better than your average car audio brand ie.sony/kenwood/pioneer

nugget666
22-04-2006, 09:38 PM
there is also some infinity speakers i saw for 150$ at wow sight and sound.
does anyone rate infinity?

Fr3aKi3
22-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Infinity are a pretty good brand although you should listen to them. Personally i found the midbass lacking.

At one stage i was about to get some infinity kappa Perfect 6.1, but i just preferred the sound coming from the focal's i heard. Just a note, some find the tweeter's a bit too bright.

Gerald28
23-04-2006, 12:52 AM
in terms of clarity, which is better?

Focal or Infinity?

KUCING
23-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Focal is a good choice for those who like bright sounds (SQ) rather than the bass (SPL)
but if you going to use Focal speakers, I recommend to use Audison for the amp...coz both are very very compatible with each other...

I used Focal-Audison combo myself...

nugget666
23-04-2006, 06:54 PM
ok i stuck some 6' 3 way pioneers i had in my XF into the front they go pretty well.. saves me amping htem and i can thrash them because there crap.

But all my music is faded to the front.

I would like a little bit of rear but the stock 6 x9's distort to easy. im thinking because of hte sub.

If i were to replace the 6 x9's with 6's should i somehow box the 6's of so the sub wont effect them as much?