PDA

View Full Version : installing short shifter

Morkz
26-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know how to install a short shifter in b16a, tried to change mine on the weekend but got stuck 3 quaters of the way.

Weq
26-04-2004, 04:45 PM
What did u get stuck on? I did mine, took about 1hr - first time ive taken anything like it apart.

Morkz
26-04-2004, 04:55 PM
remove all the center console and the rubber boot from inside, then disconected the shifter from the gear selecter. This is where i got stuck, there was a metal plate with 2 bolts and wasnt to sure if i was ment to remove that. I was following direction from one of those haynes car manuals. They said i had to remove a spring pin....?? bit confused.

Weq
26-04-2004, 06:04 PM
yeah, u need to remove that metal plate.You might(i did) need someone above in the passenger seat to hold the bolt-tops down, as they unscrew and come out of there little cutouts in the plastic -- so u are undoing them and the bolt just spins. That plate wedges the shifter ball into a lbearing case, and its the last part u need to undo. Then u can poull ur old shifter out and stick the new one in. I put a little bearing grease on my new shifter, to let it move freely.

My haynes manual says something about a spring pin also, i didnt come across such a part!

Morkz
26-04-2004, 10:40 PM
cool thanks, we started to unscrew those bolts from that plate.... but didnt go ahead when we read the bit about the spring pin. I'll try again this weekend and i'll see how i go. It's a bitch to unscrew as well since i cant jack the car up that high.

incoming
27-04-2004, 01:48 PM
that pin your talking about is connecting the long rod to the gearbox...
i cant rem if u need to take it out.. i dont think u do..

but yeah its pretty easy!
GL!

TOYOL
04-05-2004, 02:37 PM
I just changed mine but it feeld really stiff... is this normal?

XXpl0Sive
04-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Yep
You change gears with your wrist now :)

Weq
04-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Mine was very stiff but after about a week it loosed up a heep tio where it was before.
If it doesnt loosen up, go under the car and slightly release the pressore on the 2 bolts that hold the shifter ball in its socket.

blackdc2
05-05-2004, 08:08 AM
it is meant to be stiffer, cause you have shortened the distance between gears, you now need more force.

Weq
05-05-2004, 12:35 PM
No, its _meant_ to have a shorter through. Stiffness is all to do with how much force you are holding the ball into the socket with.

blackdc2
05-05-2004, 06:09 PM
if you change the leverage point (like you have) you are going to require more force to change gears, it is simple leverage.