PDA

View Full Version : Would u buy a Jazz when Civic is just +$3K more?

lokets
21-04-2006, 08:19 AM
When you have to make a choice and there are more than 1 choice, it is hard. Anyway, say I need to buy a new Honda in OZ and my budget can cover a VTi Jazz OR a new Civic - which would I choose? The price difference is around $3K - small enough to entice me to think, why not?

VTi Jazz is $18K, Civic is $21K. Both are base models (ie manual), made in Thailand.

Technically, Civic has the edge with a formidable engine (a 1.8 that works as 1.5 when cruising or 2.0 when accelerating), impressive chassis, fancier interior, has cruise control, looks not too bad, very good mileage (a mere sub-7L/100km), audio controls on steering, quieter, better ride, etc.

On the other hand, I think Jazz is more cute, been around for few years (bugs been ironed out & improvements made), smaller, easier to park/drive, slightly better fuel economy, cheaper but not much, has magic seats (base model Civic only has single fold-down rear seat, not 60/40), currently more mod-able, has fancy LED lights/turn signals/folding mirrors.

Which would you choose and why?

Menzy
21-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Basiclly you have answered your own answer..
Id go with the civic as has more power so its better for highways,
more space very good car to get over the Jazz...

in the end it gonna depend on what you want :)

Goodluck

Datuk
21-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Civi is much better car 2 drive on the long run!

civiceg9
21-04-2006, 09:43 AM
The material in the civic is better then the Jazz.
Is a different level of car, if you like small cars get the Jazz
if you like abit more comfort and luxury, get the Civic.

KWICKS
21-04-2006, 09:50 AM
And resale on the newer model Civic will far outweigh the Jazz when it comes time to pass it on. The Jazz may only be around for a couple more years and then it will be an old model. The liecycle of the new Civic will be much longer.

sassy_fit_vtit
21-04-2006, 10:16 AM
.. i bought a jazz over the civic cos i didnt have enough money and i really needed a car

kuso
21-04-2006, 12:31 PM
But turbo'ing it cost heaps no?

QuintessentiaLs
21-04-2006, 12:33 PM
When I was planning to get a car I was tossing up between prelude and jazz... Thanks to my mummy I ended up getting a brand new jazz then a 2nd hand prelude. I'm really thankful she talked my out of getting the lud... The amount I drive the jazz is really $$$ saving for me... I do about 650kms a tank and never paid for then $50 a week for petrol. I hear about how much the prelude consumes petrol cause of it's weight and stuff I'm just thinkin if I did I would have been broke from driving lol

lokets
21-04-2006, 12:46 PM
I understand Jazz is a different class from Civic, but with the VTi at $18K, and a base Civic at $21K, it doesn't make sense anymore. Perhaps Honda Oz should drop the GLi, then make Jazz VTi the same price as GLi to create an even more distinct separation between the 2 classes of cars (yeah right, like they will).

Now that I've got the Civic brochure in front of me, the $3K extra buys you alot of alot... (better than just LED brake lights & folding mirrors...):

1. 1.8L silky smooth engine - 103 kW, 174 Nm.
2. Rear double-wish bone suspension - good stuff
3. Larger tyres - 195/65 R15
4. Full size spare - (well, 2006 Jazz has that now)
5. Rear disc
6. Cruise control (Jazz after market install at least $500+)
7. Claimed fuel economy 6.9L/100km Manual (+0.3 for auto)
8. 5-speed auto, if you like it
9. MP3-capable CD player, integrated audio control on steering (on VTi-L/Sport)
10. Fancy speedo meter, cool blue color
11. Better resale after 3 years when warranty runs out
12. Fancy wiper (mounts on L/R side of screen & wipes outwards)
13. Grip handles
14. Dual exhaust
15. Multi-tier display
16. Drive-by-wire (electronic throttle)
17. Dual stage, dual threshold airbags
18. Third headrest at the back row
19. Active headrest for front
20. Door pockets all doors
21. Convex mirror on both L/R sides
22. In-glass radio antenna

Oh my.... the list is long. I know what my next Honda car will be now, I see the light now... ohhhh.. :angel:

Jus-10
21-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I must say the new Civic Sport is mighty tempting....but obviously a lot more than what you are looking at spending.

The Civic will cost about 20% more on the road than the Jazz...

But as everyone says, they are 2 different cars. For the price of a stock standard Civic you could have a nice, mildly modded Jazz, but I'm not sure if you are looking at modding it.

I am yet to meet anyone that has been disappointed with the Jazz after they got it.

Personally there is only one Civic to consider, and that's the Sport. Otherwise I'd be going the Jazz. Resale is neither here nor there. You're talking about very small margins (cheap initial purchase price) and generally, the lower end of the Honda models retain their value rather well if looked after.

STTICH
21-04-2006, 01:22 PM
i see u hav pretty much made up ur mind set to buying the civic :thumbsup:

one thing for sure, they both are great cars and u won b wrong choosing either. if i were to choose again today, i'd go for civic too. for the 3k difference, its really a completely different level vehicle. as a jazz owner myself, i don dislike jazz but i still see it as a small/cute car. whereas the civic is more mature and subtle.

if u're planning to buy a car for ur gf/wife/sister etc, then jazz would suit them more as they're small, roomy (for shoppings :p ) and pretty zippy easy to drive.

ur choice to make, don streess over it too much. buying a new car is a happy thing :)

brightboyfree
21-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi, I got both Honda Jazz vtis & Civic vti...
the following is what I feel for both of my car, it's just my opinion!!

For the power, it is not much different since the Jazz is light weight(1025kg), civic(1180kg), Jazz can used to drive more than 500km for a tank of fuel, Civic only like less than 400km.

For the design, I would say that the civic is the best looking family car right now. It's really look likes a sport car. Blue color speedo meter is so so so cooool.

so, If you dont care how expensive the fuel is, choose civic...If you dont care about the Jazz is year 2001 design, choose it. :thumbsup:

BTW, there is no audio controls on steering for the Civic vti......

Pogi
21-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Definitely the Civic. I miss cruise control. :( *cries*

Catcha
21-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Well its pretty simple isn't it. You have a Jazz style that has been released since 2002 I think. Only now that have really done some major updates like LED Lights and mirror idicators and so on.

You then have a totally brand new Civic where everything is different from the previous model. most obvious is the styling.

Why not drive what eveyone else is raving on about, instead of a Jazz, I personally have a Jazz and sure as hell wish I had a choice like you now. Civic Anyday even it it is the lower model of the range. But whether the 3g extra is a problem is up to the individual circumstances.

lokets
21-04-2006, 03:22 PM
But turbo'ing it cost heaps no?

I dunno kuso, but that's not my consideration. I do not intend to turbo it - either a Jazz or a Civic. Leave it as it is will be just my way.

lokets
21-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I must say the new Civic Sport is mighty tempting....but obviously a lot more than what you are looking at spending.

The Civic will cost about 20% more on the road than the Jazz...

But as everyone says, they are 2 different cars. For the price of a stock standard Civic you could have a nice, mildly modded Jazz, but I'm not sure if you are looking at modding it.

I am yet to meet anyone that has been disappointed with the Jazz after they got it.

Personally there is only one Civic to consider, and that's the Sport. Otherwise I'd be going the Jazz. Resale is neither here nor there. You're talking about very small margins (cheap initial purchase price) and generally, the lower end of the Honda models retain their value rather well if looked after.

No, I do not intend to mod it - mostly stock stuff, except minor things like voltage regulator, filter, little things.

I agree, I am not disappointed by Jazz either - except the price difference of 20% (about $3K+) is so tempting for the better grade car that it is irresistable.

The Sport - yes, sure but I am comparing base model Civic with "base" Jazz (I do not consider GLi to be "performance" grade). I cannot afford Civic Sports - the price differential is too great/painful to endure, and yes, you are right, the depreciation will be massive for higher-end grade Civic, or Jazz for that matter.

lokets
21-04-2006, 03:29 PM
When I was planning to get a car I was tossing up between prelude and jazz... Thanks to my mummy I ended up getting a brand new jazz then a 2nd hand prelude. I'm really thankful she talked my out of getting the lud... The amount I drive the jazz is really $$$ saving for me... I do about 650kms a tank and never paid for then $50 a week for petrol. I hear about how much the prelude consumes petrol cause of it's weight and stuff I'm just thinkin if I did I would have been broke from driving lol

Nice & smart mom you've got, mate. ;)

lokets
21-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi, I got both Honda Jazz vtis & Civic vti...
the following is what I feel for both of my car, it's just my opinion!!

For the power, it is not much different since the Jazz is light weight(1025kg), civic(1180kg), Jazz can used to drive more than 500km for a tank of fuel, Civic only like less than 400km.

For the design, I would say that the civic is the best looking family car right now. It's really look likes a sport car. Blue color speedo meter is so so so cooool.

so, If you dont care how expensive the fuel is, choose civic...If you dont care about the Jazz is year 2001 design, choose it. :thumbsup:

BTW, there is no audio controls on steering for the Civic vti......

I envy you - got both cars! Your Civic fuel figures is abit ... not quite right ... perhaps it is still a new engine yet to run-in well. Officially, Civic 1.8 gives 7L/100 km. Given its tank is 50L, it works out to be = 50/7 * 100 = 714 km. Assume that the fuel warning comes on at about 44L (Jazz's fuel warning comes on with 6L remaining), you will have to refuel at = 44/7 * 100 = 628 km. That is of course optimal calculation, not real life, it all depends on your driving habit, terrain, etc. My Jazz 1.3 gives 600 km+ every tank too.

Anyway, if we stick all by official test figures, Jazz = 6L/100km, Civic = 7L/100km, difference = 1L/100km, so if you base on 600km travel per week say, then you pay extra 6L, and if that's say 91 RON (both cars can take regular unleaded), that is only 6 * $1.2/L = $7.20. That's a price I'm prepared to pay extra for.

I agree, the Civic is pretty cool looking, reminds me of a "small" Accord, and the inside is very nice as well (I sat in one before during its launch).

Another thing, I realise too, that the base Civic VTi does not have audio control on steering, but cruise is standard (aha!) - hence my comments earlier has a qualifier.

lokets
21-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Well its pretty simple isn't it. You have a Jazz style that has been released since 2002 I think. Only now that have really done some major updates like LED Lights and mirror idicators and so on.

You then have a totally brand new Civic where everything is different from the previous model. most obvious is the styling.

Why not drive what eveyone else is raving on about, instead of a Jazz, I personally have a Jazz and sure as hell wish I had a choice like you now. Civic Anyday even it it is the lower model of the range. But whether the 3g extra is a problem is up to the individual circumstances.

Perhaps if you have a Jazz now it is not worth upgrading until the "new" 2007 Jazz comes along, but if you want/can afford a Honda car now, the logical choice will be to seriously consider the base Civic (versus the Jazz VTi). I am in this category now and it is an interesting opportunity.

Yes, on coming Wed, when I send in the Jazz for servicing, I will also test drive the Civic.

BTW, all Honda car owners who test drive a Civic before Apr 2006 ends stands a chance to win a mega Apple iPod thing (I'm not sure what exact it is, but doesn't hurt to win it). You may want to rush down yesterday. ;)

TypeG
21-04-2006, 04:41 PM
civic sports is the only civic i will consider to buy or else just go for jazz

ahcash
21-04-2006, 04:47 PM
lokets.. fun reading your nice long responses...

http://www.ausjazz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438

2 different car...
For my purpose.. I still go with a Jazz.. why?

The new civic

- Is heaps bigger and longer.. the mrs finds it too big to drive around or park.
- Cost more
- Don't like to look (personal preference)
- drinks more petrol
- No CVT
- No magicseat
- No F1 shift
- Althought stable.. a bit boring to drive around.

the lists go on and on...

magii
21-04-2006, 05:11 PM
i would choose civic over the jazz too, but in the long run the jazz is gonna save you a bit more fuel then the civic will. And considering fuel prices nowadays the jazz would be a good option for fuel efficiency

kuso
21-04-2006, 07:19 PM
TRUST me! the fuel figures are never right. I drive a manual and drive it very conservatively and I only manage to clock 6.4l/100km I really have to try hard to drive like a granny would I get anything under.

Fuel figures are over-rated. I only average 550-600km a tank and not the 650+km a tank that everyone is supposed to say we can do. Most of my driving is highway driving as well.

08ESE
21-04-2006, 07:19 PM
ill take either. better than a GETZ :)

magii
21-04-2006, 08:22 PM
TRUST me! the fuel figures are never right. I drive a manual and drive it very conservatively and I only manage to clock 6.4l/100km I really have to try hard to drive like a granny would I get anything under.

Fuel figures are over-rated. I only average 550-600km a tank and not the 650+km a tank that everyone is supposed to say we can do. Most of my driving is highway driving as well.
really? how many km have you done on your car?
my lowest if i recall corectly was 5.8L this was mainly with freeway driving

Jus-10
21-04-2006, 09:15 PM
I get 6.4 in city with my 16s

On stocks and on motorways it runs at about 5.2 and with a mix of city/freeway around 5.6

Those figures are over a tank as I reset it every time I refill

Catcha
21-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Perhaps if you have a Jazz now it is not worth upgrading until the "new" 2007 Jazz comes along, but if you want/can afford a Honda car now, the logical choice will be to seriously consider the base Civic (versus the Jazz VTi). I am in this category now and it is an interesting opportunity.

Yes, on coming Wed, when I send in the Jazz for servicing, I will also test drive the Civic.

BTW, all Honda car owners who test drive a Civic before Apr 2006 ends stands a chance to win a mega Apple iPod thing (I'm not sure what exact it is, but doesn't hurt to win it). You may want to rush down yesterday. ;)

didn't realise you own a Jazz until now. Why upgrade ? just try something different and get a Civic. Its new and everyone wants one including me. :)

^CarBoy^
21-04-2006, 11:50 PM
To me both are good cars... I've been happy with any Honda model that came out... I've owned or driven an EF, EG, EK Civics, DC2 and DC5 Integra, Honda Legends, a Honda CRV, even a Honda NSX... and all of them I loved!

It really depends on your taste... to me both the Jazz and the Civic are nice. It really depends on what you like and what you going to use it for.

If you are a "tuner" both can be modified easily. Parts are readily available for both even for the new Civic. In fact I already seen a Mugen bodykit for the new Civic at JDMYARD a few weeks back. Some one already ordered a set!!! can you believe that!!!

whatever Honda model you pick, I'm sure you will be happy with your choice!

Datuk
22-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Love the drive on the new civi.

Datuk
22-04-2006, 12:02 AM
where can u get parts for the civi ??

Catcha
22-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Actually with fuel prices going up, i'm glad I have a Jazz :)

^CarBoy^
22-04-2006, 01:21 AM
where can u get parts for the civi ??

JDMYARD can get parts for the new Civic no problem. Mugen got parts for it already. Honda Access (MODULO) also got some parts for it.

JDMYARD is in the trader section of this forum... check them out.. :)

^CarBoy^
22-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Actually with fuel prices going up, i'm glad I have a Jazz :)

same here.. very economical car.

brightboyfree
22-04-2006, 02:47 AM
lokets.. fun reading your nice long responses...

http://www.ausjazz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438

2 different car...
For my purpose.. I still go with a Jazz.. why?

The new civic

- Is heaps bigger and longer.. the mrs finds it too big to drive around or park.
- Cost more
- Don't like to look (personal preference)
- drinks more petrol
- No CVT
- No magicseat
- No F1 shift
- Althought stable.. a bit boring to drive around.

the lists go on and on...

they have F1 shift for sport auto......

ahcash
24-04-2006, 09:26 AM
do they? ohh.. my mistake then...

Catcha
24-04-2006, 05:26 PM
they have F1 shift for sport auto......

Wow F1 paddle shift...what a gimmick :angel:

Jazzle
25-04-2006, 11:58 PM
I used to reset the trip meter everytime i refill the tank and record the amount of petrol I refill then divide the number by the distance shown on the trip meter.. what i realise is the "fuel consumption" meter is never right. haha...

but yeah.. i used to get 6.2 - 6.5 (highway, city combined).. and it really depends the way i drive.. i could get something around 5.4 if i go easy on high way

lokets
27-04-2006, 04:25 PM
I test drive the 06 Civic yesterday and was slightly disappointed. It is not as impressive as I thought, or not as exciting as it looks from the outside. This is entirely my personal perception (it was a base VTi with auto):

1. The engine was surprisingly noisy under harder acceleration.
2. Gear changes were smooth and prompt
3. There can be quite abit of road noise, especially over poorly sealed roads
4. The hand brake is supposedly egonomic but it does not work well with me
5. Fit & finish very good, no rattles - still new car, done only 4000 km
6. Ride is firm, absorbent. Body roll is minimum as car is very low (compare to Jazz)
7. Steering is very nice due to EPS & small diameter
8. The digital speedo is nice but I'm not overly impressed. I still want a round dial!
9. Blue theme of all display is very cool, nice.
10. Car front is virtually invisible when you sit down, ie. you cannot tell where the car nose is, parking is more challenging

Since my test was "see-see" type and not "where-do-I-sign", the sales lady was 1/2 interested and the test drive ended rather quickly. I would say overall, I'm not as keen - my Mrs though was more excited by the manual Jazz and the nice crunchy manual gear (yawn...). So, even though perhaps in some important way Civic is better than the Jazz, I just might keep my $3K and get a Jazz instead, as I was not terribly impressed.

Nevertheless, the sales lady said they are selling something like 20+ per month! Likely hint to me: you can also be among them! Buy it NOW...

coladuna
20-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Personally, I would never pay that much money for Civic Sport. It's way too expensive for what it is. 37k on road for a run of the mill car with rather ordinary engine (in terms of performance anyway) and few extra standard equipment is ludicrous. It may make more sense when you are able to haggle to buy one at list price but at full RRP, it doesn't make sense.