PDA

View Full Version : DIY sound deading

nugget666
21-04-2006, 05:18 PM
ok on the weekend im going to find some bumps and rattles as there pissing me off.

Car is a ek1 sedan

What is the best item to use behind the number plate?

my boot rattles but i cant find anywhere to stuff rags and what not.

What could i use to stop it?

my parcel shelf rattles.

If i just stink foam in random spots then lay the shelf back on woudl that stop it?

fusionprelude
21-04-2006, 05:37 PM
for ya number plate use sheet foam or wool
the boot will rattle because the rails have a gap between the actual boot top and them so get sum sound deadening spay foam that will stop it from rattling
and the parcel shelf prob sheet foam will do the trick

|N|
21-04-2006, 05:41 PM
my parcel shelf rattles. is the known issue with EK sedan .. all the ek sedan s i ve seen has teh same problem... mine is pretty bad.. i use cardboard to fix it..lol

fusionprelude
21-04-2006, 05:47 PM
ive got a prelude it does it to so i got sheet foam and it stoped it

arverson
21-04-2006, 06:02 PM
dynamat applied to (in this case) the UNDERside of the metal/steel rear deck would b best. this will help reduce resonant frequencys gettin to the plastic/wooden parcel shelf in the 1st place.

otherwise, use pretty much anything u can. steel wool, cotton, soft foam, rags, cardboard,....crunchd up sheets of paper?? lolz as long as it reduces the rattles/vibrations its all good

for number plate - SD paint the inside, rubber washers, steel wool....guess everything mentioned above.

Today 06:18 PM nugget666

my boot rattles but i cant find anywhere to stuff rags and what not.

What could i use to stop it?

my parcel shelf rattles.

If i just stink foam in random spots then lay the shelf back on woudl that stop it?

b4 u put anything anywhere. try to locate the exact spots the rattles/vibrations r occuring, then tackle those 1st hand. this will save u time, effort & 'SDing material' aka. cardboard, steel wool, etc :p

nugget666
21-04-2006, 06:34 PM
my parcel shelf rattles. is the known issue with EK sedan .. all the ek sedan s i ve seen has teh same problem... mine is pretty bad.. i use cardboard to fix it..lol

Did that stop the rattle what ind of cardboard. like 3mm thick stuff?

When you guys are saying sheet foam? as in what.

And how hard is it to get the parcel shlef off?

nugget666
24-04-2006, 05:00 PM
I priced some 6mm thick foam to lay accross the back parcel parcel shelf.

Would this do the trick to stop the ratel?

fusionprelude
25-04-2006, 03:03 PM
i would say yeah it should

mugeneration
25-04-2006, 08:43 PM
best solution for your number plate is blu-tac. Its great and works well and providing you take it off properly (by rolling, not peeling) it wont mark your paint. Its easy to get and very cheap.

Just put big clumps of it right next to where your screws hold the plate, as well as under all the corners so it sort of holds the plate out off the body and it shouldnt rattle any more. Thats what I did anyways.

nugget666
25-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I will try that. and shouldnt matter if it makrs the pain as you will enver see it.

Got a quick picture you could take as a example?

vtek
25-04-2006, 09:07 PM
use double sided sticky tape with foam in the middle. Its white with two sticky sides and about 2 mm thick. can be bought from cheap as chips etc. If one thickness isnt enough put another layer on then screw the plate tight. rags etc gets messy and could absorb alot of water.

mugeneration
25-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I will try that. and shouldnt matter if it makrs the pain as you will enver see it.

Got a quick picture you could take as a example?

nar mate i dont coz its dark outside and my only camera is my phone. sorry. Just use big clumps about half the size of a pinball.

mj3610
26-04-2006, 12:44 PM
remember, apply pressure to the rattling parts and they'll rattle alot less... pressure is the key :)