PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Civic versus Mazda 3

lokets
21-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Hi guys, I am interested to get a new 2006 Civic but is considering alternatives as well, mainly Mazda 3.

For some who are fortunate enough to have owned/driven both of these cars, how would you rate the plus or minus against each of these vehicles?

I am hoping there are good enough reasons to choose a Civic instead of Mazda 3, being so "unbias" as I am... :)

Example: Mazda 3 is particularly good at handling but is noisy, I read.

EuroDude
21-04-2006, 05:57 PM
In terms of visuals, I would go the Mazda 3. The Civic's rear lights look terrible in my opinion... like a cheap KIA would have :(

Although in terms of mechanics, the Civic has the upper hand. Honda's drivetrains are brilliant and iVTEC provides plenty of Torque :)

chunky
21-04-2006, 06:00 PM
i-vtec y0!

SiR JDM
21-04-2006, 06:10 PM
My sister and good friend are making the same choice...

I dont know much about either, so i just biasly say Honda but i would like to see some discussion/reasoning as to which people think is better

I dont like the gearknob/handbreak style of the 06 civic :S i havn't seen much of it but that sticks out in my mind as 1 reason why i dont like it

PaZzMaN-R
21-04-2006, 07:07 PM
hi lokets i recently drove both the mazda 3 and the civic at one of our honda training days. in terms of looks i would honestly go the mazda in any other respect i would go the civic. interior wise the civic feels roomier and is better set out also more user friendly versus the mazda clostrofobic interior with... i could go into great detail with this as i got a excersize book filled with notes about them thru all aspects. at then end of the day everyone chose the honda as the best car. the mazda is a close second tho. i know i havnt given a great deal of info. but if i did it would take me a good 2 hours and i cbf doing that right now. come and see me and i can go thru it all with you.

kuso
21-04-2006, 07:21 PM
LOL.

I personally think the mazda 3 is overated. I car pool to uni with a friend who has one and its the SP23. Quiet car, but other than that I dont see any advantages over a honda.

marcus
21-04-2006, 09:56 PM
FD1 has closed gear ratios...honda the power to ur dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JaCe
21-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I was very close to buying the SP23 but thankfully it was out of stock.. and somehow stumbled upon the new Civic which I loved instantly. Of course it's lacking in the power department compared to the SP, but I think the interior, whilst not the 'dark cool look', it has a very clean and cheerful yet 'advanced' interior which I like even more!

lokets
22-04-2006, 07:39 PM
hi lokets i recently drove both the mazda 3 and the civic at one of our honda training days. in terms of looks i would honestly go the mazda in any other respect i would go the civic. interior wise the civic feels roomier and is better set out also more user friendly versus the mazda clostrofobic interior with... i could go into great detail with this as i got a excersize book filled with notes about them thru all aspects. at then end of the day everyone chose the honda as the best car. the mazda is a close second tho. i know i havnt given a great deal of info. but if i did it would take me a good 2 hours and i cbf doing that right now. come and see me and i can go thru it all with you.

PaZzMaN-R, thanks for sharing your thoughts after actually driving & comparing & writing down notes on Mazda 3 vs 2006 Civic. I would love to compare notes but I'm at Brisbane & you are at SYD, so that's not on.

However, for the benefit of everyone else, can you share the main points with regard to my areas of concern:

1. Engine performance - I think Civic beats M3 flat.
2. Transmission (quality of drive/shift) - again I think Honda almost always win
3. Fuel consumption - again Civic wins by wide margin
4. Security - not sure who wins & why
5. Comfort - not sure
6. Space - not sure, looks quite the same
7. Ergonomics - perhaps Civic is better
8. Ride - I tend towards comfort & cushy ride, I don't like harsh, jumpy one like the Jazz's, perhaps Civic is good at this
9. Handling - not sure, but Mazda 3 has been the very, very good at this
10. Quietness - Civic should be good, Mazda 3 is noisy

Thanks for your contribution. Still, I'm a little sus with regard to the objectivity of your observations on your Honda training day ;) However, your input would be most valuable.

I remember the same thing being said to me by a Mitsubishi Colt sales lady who said after her Colt training day, how good the Colt is, yeah right... but I tend to believe the Civic IS very good, so please persuade me.

lokets
22-04-2006, 07:40 PM
*EuroAccord13 Edit*
Removed Quoted Remark

Well, that's the exact opposite thing they say on the Mazda forum! ;)

Jazzle
22-04-2006, 11:05 PM
i wonder how the engine performance of hte civic is cmparing to the sp23
the max torque and power of the mazda 3 are stronger than the civics.. (normal 3 > normal civic and sp23 > sport) but that the max. numbers dont mean everythihg.. so would really like to hear some opinions from ppl who have actually driven the both cars..
handling wise.. i dont think mazda can beat honda =) but my comment could be bias..

just feel that mazda has been working hard and releasing competitive cars these days.. while honda and toyota are being too commercial.. =(

EuroBabee
22-04-2006, 11:42 PM
I went through the same dilemma.... thought about it for months!! in the end i got me-self a civic sport :D i reckon it has a better interior and engine, but dayem, like EuroDude sed it has an ugly ass rear :confused:

I reckon civic is the better choice (no bias hehe) simply coz its newer and not many ppl have it, mazda 3 is EVERYWHERE lol.

yeehou
23-04-2006, 12:24 AM
I went through the same dilemma.... thought about it for months!! in the end i got me-self a civic sport :D i reckon it has a better interior and engine, but dayem, like EuroDude sed it has an ugly ass rear :confused:

I reckon civic is the better choice (no bias hehe) simply coz its newer and not many ppl have it, mazda 3 is EVERYWHERE lol.

Well, when the civic arrive, it will flood the whole of australia.. Lol

tanalasta
23-04-2006, 12:37 AM
The Honda Civic looks a lot better with the body kit. My local Honda dealer had a model fitted out with the works in terms of accessories and it looks exactly like the model on the Honda Civic Accessories brochure.

If you don't like the rear end, I would seriously consider the underspoilers, side skirts and rear-end spoiler :) The full kit is about $2500 for the genuine Honda although Mugen also do a better kit for about the same price if you can import it ... somehow.

marcus
23-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Just FYI, the new FD's 2.0 Si is running a K20Z3, similar to the K20A3, only difference is its running on a DBW system and changes to the some parts of the engine.

The engine is indeed a VTEC-E, built for Fuel Economy. Very different from its cousin, the formidable K20A2. Perhaps, some of you bros are thinking of swapping the head... unfortunately... sadly to say, both K20A and K20A3 or the K20Z3 may look similar on the outside, the internals are way different. Some workshop may claimed they can do that... the whole job may cost you few Ks ever to 10s of Ks. Reliability... uncertain.

The FD's K20Z3's DBW will be another big challenge for a lot of workshops, how are you gonna bypass that? Both K20As and K20A3s are drive by the coventional throttle cable. Pretty straight forward. In order to do that... the only way is to change your ECU... and not only that. rewiring the whole dame FD. Haha! Probably, by the time you are don't with the so-called "mod"... it'll sums up to 10 - 15 Ks. Worst still, the power you got cannot even beat a factory made DC5R.

Jazzle
23-04-2006, 10:06 AM
agree with tanalasta.. with a rear spoiler and underspoiler.. the civic does not look bad at all... never like the look of mazda 3...

roar
23-04-2006, 04:53 PM
mazda3's have all the driving feeling of soggy bread in your undies!

i hate driving my mums mazda3

aaronng
23-04-2006, 05:23 PM
The FD's K20Z3's DBW will be another big challenge for a lot of workshops, how are you gonna bypass that? Both K20As and K20A3s are drive by the coventional throttle cable. Pretty straight forward. In order to do that... the only way is to change your ECU... and not only that. rewiring the whole dame FD.
Actually, the reason why DBW is a problem with modders is that Honda changed ECU hardware manufacturers in order to have DBW. The different ECU hardware means all existing aftermarket ECUs for Honda don't work on cars with DBW.

Jus-10
23-04-2006, 07:33 PM
A mate has the SP23....have been in it a bit and to be honest was pretty disappointed. This was all before the new Civic came out. Something about it just didn't feel right to me....I would say that it is competent car.

I had my first look at the FD Civic Sport on the weekend, and the second a sat in it, fell in love....I liked it so much that I am now considering parting with the Jazz. I haven't driven one yet (that will be this week) so can't compare it with the SP, but I can't see it being too hard to beat!

I haven't felt this excited and impressed from an initial encounter with a car for a long time. I just hope the drive doesn't let me down.

I quite like the look of the SP23 hatch, but that's about it. But I guess that's why guys who like Mazdas buy Mazdas and why I like Hondas...it's all personal preference

MKI4EVA
23-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Performance wise the SP3 was be no match for the civic SPORT.

SPORT has the edge on braking, power, steering responce and handling over the SP3. *tried and tested on OP*

the only decision you are left with is which car you pref in terms of looks.

tanalasta
23-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Driven both the SP23 and the Civic Sport, I'm going to have to put my money on the Civic. Sure, the SP23 can be had for a bargain (and they may even have a newer model later in the year) but the lack of low-end torque really puts me off. I could floor it off the lights and it simply doesn't have the smooth delivery of the Honda.

Neither are particular fast cars. I also prefer the comfort of the Civic Sport ... it's hard to give up the leather seats, sunroof and the quiet ride. If I had wanted a grunty, quick off the pace car I'd have gotten a "proper" sports car.

*edit* I mean I "have" driven both cars.

Zilli
24-04-2006, 10:36 AM
my mum has a 3 sedan with the 2 litre engine, i was actually very surprised by the grunt the motor has and the gearbox (auto) is quite a nice little cvt unit, very very smooth ride, and it can be quite sporty and exciting when you want it to be, the motors got a lot of pep

build quality is really nice, no rattles or anyhtign yet and its been close to 2 years, the paint finish is awesome... just awesome, fit a finsih is good

th ONLY THING that shits me, is tyre noise coming through the cabin, but they are those rubbish yokohama aspec tyres, i think that can be fixed with better tyres, most of it anyway

other than thatthe driver seat does bucket enough it you know what i eman, so my hamstrigns start to hurt after a while ebcause the front fo the seat isnt supporting me enough, but then im used to recaro's

drive both, you'll know

blitz_euro
24-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I have a friend that drives a SP23, a mate that has a new Civic 1.8L VTEC and i drive a Honda Accord Euro Luxury, ive been in all three cars.

The SP23 Drives really nice my mate has the auto box and handles really good as well, i havent driven it but have been in it, it is also a quiet car, only road noise is the tyres but that is due to upgrade to 18" wheels which is normal.

On the other hand the 1.8L VTEC also is very smooth it also is the auto box, and very queit car. Once again i havent driven it but have sat in it, i was very surprised of the handling of this new Civic. In exterior looks i personally think the 3 is better than the civic but if you get a kit for the civic i will choose the civic. Interior wise the Civic wins it for me, just looks more up market technology compared to the 3 as it has the digital dash. Civic also feels alot more roomier. Fuel compsumtion Civic beats it by miles, i thinks the 3 drinks combined like 9.3L/100K's and Civic is 7.1L/100k's and by looking at Fuel prices these days i would go for the Civic, if you wanted a fast car i would just go buy a sports car.

lokets
24-04-2006, 12:15 PM
my mum has a 3 sedan with the 2 litre engine, i was actually very surprised by the grunt the motor has and the gearbox (auto) is quite a nice little cvt unit, very very smooth ride, and it can be quite sporty and exciting when you want it to be, the motors got a lot of pep

build quality is really nice, no rattles or anyhtign yet and its been close to 2 years, the paint finish is awesome... just awesome, fit a finsih is good

th ONLY THING that shits me, is tyre noise coming through the cabin, but they are those rubbish yokohama aspec tyres, i think that can be fixed with better tyres, most of it anyway

other than thatthe driver seat does bucket enough it you know what i eman, so my hamstrigns start to hurt after a while ebcause the front fo the seat isnt supporting me enough, but then im used to recaro's

drive both, you'll know

Thanks for the feedback. However, I think there's a mistake there - the Mazda 3 auto has only 4 speed conventional unit, not a CVT unit - if by CVT, you meant the one found on Honda Jazz, which is steel belt driven, infinitely variable transmission.

Mazda 3 is built in Japan (correct me if I'm wrong) and fit/finish would be world class. We all know that new Civic is built in Thailand, or finished there, as someone else noted (unconfirmed).

I wish I could drive each of these cars (new Civic vs Mazda 3) for few weeks to be certain but I do not have that luxury. Hence, trying to get subjective feedback from some fortunate souls out there who may have had this privilege.

IS250
24-04-2006, 12:24 PM
What are you guys basing some of your claims on? I drove the Sport about a month ago and to be quite honest, I was disappointed. Very nice car, decent handling, quiet and smooth but it just seemed soo slow (there was 4 onboard). Performance wise, my money is on the Mazda. Haven't driven the SP23 but judging by the numbers, its slightly more powerful, more torque and is also lighter(?).

Some of you are saying that the Civic easily handles better than the SP23. Are you kidding me? If its one thing that the 3s been praised for ever since its arrival, it's its handling. I drove a Mazda 6 one week after the Civic and it was definitely better. Handling was much nicer and it was also noticeably quicker over the same road despite being a much heavier car (this time, 3 onboard). A few people have also told me that the 3 infact handles better than the 6, so I don't see how the Civic can handle better unless you're extrememly biased.

It might sound like I'm bagging the Civic, but I've actually chosen to get a Vti-l over the 3. Just seemed like a lot of misinformation floating around. Both are great cars and you can't go wrong with either of them.

Also, heres a short review between the Sport and the SP23 from The Sunday Telegraph:

Civic takes on mighty Mazda

19 March 2006

Honda's Civic has been an iconic hatchback since the early '70s. In each of its seven previous incarnations, there has been that familiar shape.

But not in generation eight. Well, at least not in Australia.

As we noted last Sunday, Honda Australia has instead chosen to focus squarely on a small sedan variant and take on the market-leading Mazda3.

The Civic Sport iteration, which we drove last week, climbs into the ring with the champion in the affordable sporty-sedan stakes, Mazda's SP23.

The Civic yields its opponent a displacement advantage — two litres versus 2.3 — but it delivers a healthy 114kW at 6200rpm. That's just one kilowatt shy of the Mazda, whose peak power arrives at 6500.

But the Civic does bring to the table Honda's proven VTEC performance, which has never disappointed in any sports-oriented model.

VTECs have never been afraid to rev freely — take the high-spinning S2000 — and the Civic Sport's engine is no different. When it's being wound out to its 67000rpm redline, only the VTEC's concerto of old is missing.

Styling boffins have given the Civic yet another new face. Externally, it looks nothing like its forebears, with a heavily raked windscreen and unusual glass inserts in the pillars (presumably to get around the chunky A-pillars).
Short overhangs give the appearance of a large, fat body. From the driver's seat, you can't help but feel as though you're in a small people-mover.

On the inside, this feeling is carried over when sitting behind the low, oversized dashboard. Among its mix of modern gadgets, such as a digital speedometer and gauges, the analogue tachometer almost looks out of place.

Driver information is also split, with atop and mid-dash displays another departure from convention.

Sound is taken care of via a six-disc, in-dash CD player with MP3 and WMA playback that — to these ears — only just makes the grade.

The Sport cops leather upholstery (a pricey option on the SP23, along with BOSE sound) with slightly bolstered front pews that do a more than adequate job of holding you in place.

The SP23 doesn't get the Civic's tilt- slide sunroof at any price.

There is also automatic air-conditioning that is constantly at work, keeping occupants cool, especially when the sun is coming through the huge windscreen. For a "Sport"
model, the Civic looks conservative. It runs only 16-inch wheels with 205/55/16 rubber, as opposed to the SP23's 205/50/17, that are also of a higher grade in the
Bridgestone line-up.

The Civic Sport does get front fog lights and nice indicator inlays on the back of its vast wing mirrors.

Aside from these, there's not much to set the various new Civic models apart, unlike the SP23, which flaunts different light clusters on the rear and unique fog light and bumper arrangements to the lesser Mazda 3s.

During a 250km loop out to Wiseman's Ferry, the Sport showed youthful enthusiasm with nice body control on sweeping bends and changes of direction.

Steering is very direct for a front-wheel drive car, and feel via the very sporty small diameter wheel is nicely weighted for all types of driving. What let the side down somewhat is still under-sized shoes rolling about on the rims when hard pressed. This is most noticeable through a set of quick bends, when the chassis is always waiting for the rubber to catch up.

The gruntier Civic variant has grown up and out over the years, moving on its early '90s boy-racer constituents to bring the choice of those more likely to listen to U2 than hip hop.

The Sport is a nice balance between small luxury sedan and Sunday racer, but for my money, the SP23 has its measure.

It is just more rewarding when driven hard, but can dawdle down to the shops for milk and bread.

Just make sure the shops are at the end of some nice curved black top.

MKI4EVA
24-04-2006, 01:12 PM
. I drove a Mazda 6 one week after the Civic and it was definitely better. Handling was much nicer and it was also noticeably quicker over the same road despite being a much heavier car (this time, 3 onboard).

You drove a sport..........then a week later drove a mazda 6 with less ppl on board.

Then heard that the 6 is better than the 3 so the 3 must be better than the sport.

hmmm no point objecting to this one since you didnt buy a SP23 or a sport.

more than happy to eat my words if someone on here would kindly bring out a manual SP23 to play.

I heard the vtiL manual is as fast as a sport auto.

aaronng
24-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Some of you are saying that the Civic easily handles better than the SP23. Are you kidding me? If its one thing that the 3s been praised for ever since its arrival, it's its handling. I drove a Mazda 6 one week after the Civic and it was definitely better. Handling was much nicer and it was also noticeably quicker over the same road despite being a much heavier car (this time, 3 onboard). A few people have also told me that the 3 infact handles better than the 6, so I don't see how the Civic can handle better unless you're extrememly biased.
No, the 3 doesn't handle better than the 6. Go and read ozmazdaclub.com One owner is complaining that he couldn't get away from an Impreza 2.0L non-turbo that was tailing him because of some stupidity. He took all the turns and such and couldn't get away because of slow steering response and understeer INTO the corner (so it was not an issue of awd vs fwd). All the members told him that the stock 3 does not handle like a sporty car, and in fact told him to go straight to the police station the next time. Heck, in that thread, one poster praised the DC2R saying that awd does not make a car handle good. :)
http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11174

aaronng
24-04-2006, 01:51 PM
That's what Wheels magazine said in its short preview. Does anyone have the issue where they fully review the Sport and VTiL?

wassup
24-04-2006, 01:56 PM
That's what Wheels magazine said in its short preview. Does anyone have the issue where they fully review the Sport and VTiL?

Surprisingly, or disappointingly no one has done an in-depth review of the Civic and there are no comparisons yet either (so far as magazines go anyway).

Ive been keeping an eye out for the but nothing as yet.

lokets
24-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Guys: another thing, just called up local Honda dealer who told me that to get say the new 2006 Civic VTi manual (base model), the earliest date is around November 2006!!!!

By this time, if you are seriously considering the Mazda 3, there will likely be a refreshed Mazda 3, which MAY, just may, fix the bad road noise issue and/or other things - hence raising the bar again in this comparison. I guess time will tell, closer to end of 2006.

Which by then, another super car, Civic hatch may have arrived (I hope) or is imminent. That again, upsets the comparison more, and at this rate, I don't have to buy any new cars becoz things just get better and petrol more expensive :)

IS250
24-04-2006, 02:47 PM
No, the 3 doesn't handle better than the 6. Go and read ozmazdaclub.com One owner is complaining that he couldn't get away from an Impreza 2.0L non-turbo that was tailing him because of some stupidity. He took all the turns and such and couldn't get away because of slow steering response and understeer INTO the corner (so it was not an issue of awd vs fwd). All the members told him that the stock 3 does not handle like a sporty car, and in fact told him to go straight to the police station the next time. Heck, in that thread, one poster praised the DC2R saying that awd does not make a car handle good.

I read that thread. No, not all the members told him the handling was crap. Most said that the 3 handles well for a FWD car. There was another thread comparing the 3 to the 6. Owners of the 6 said their cars handle better than the 3 and then a few owners of both said that they preferred the 3 in terms of handling. Its just hard to imagine the Civic would handle better than an SP23 when EVERY review praises its handling while there are mixed reviews about the Civic Sport, some even going as far as to say its somewhat dull.

By this time, if you are seriously considering the Mazda 3, there will likely be a refreshed Mazda 3, which MAY, just may, fix the bad road noise issue and/or other things - hence raising the bar again in this comparison. I guess time will tell, closer to end of 2006.

Don't know about an updated 3 but the MPS is coming soon. turbocharged 184kw, 380nm. Should be just under $40,000.

IS250
24-04-2006, 02:55 PM
You drove a sport..........then a week later drove a mazda 6 with less ppl on board.

Then heard that the 6 is better than the 3 so the 3 must be better than the sport.

hmmm no point objecting to this one since you didnt buy a SP23 or a sport.

more than happy to eat my words if someone on here would kindly bring out a manual SP23 to play.

umm...You do realise that the Mazda 6 is heavier than a Civic Sport REGARDLESS of how many people are onboard?? Would one less person really make a difference when its already 150kg heavier?

I read that article about the vtil being as fast as the Sport. Wouldn't be surprised if its true.

akira
24-04-2006, 02:58 PM
doesnt matter how much i love hondas. i dont like the new 06 models comparet o the new mazda 3. if i was to choose ill go for the mazda 3 mps. 184kw turbo man!

Fr3aKi3
24-04-2006, 03:03 PM
doesnt matter how much i love hondas. i dont like the new 06 models comparet o the new mazda 3. if i was to choose ill go for the mazda 3 mps. 184kw turbo man!

Are you sure it's gonna be 184kw? from what i've read they're gonna detune the engine since it's still gonna be fwd.

As for the concern of build quality have a read in this thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42262&page=2) , look at my post (15) which comments on the build quality of the Thai built civic.

kam
24-04-2006, 03:06 PM
you guys actually like the look of the new civic over the 3 ? dam, the new civic is so dam ugly, like someone got a big hammer and squashed it, really really ugly. mazda 3 looks 10 times better.

the 3 is not that bad, off the line, its pretty torquey, but at higher speeds, if you put your foot down, nothing much happens, eg after 90kph...

type one
24-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Manual Civic Vti wins the old man stakes for me....

The only thing i struggle to do (but of course not impossible) is to set the front wheels alight hahaha... i am really dumping the clutch at about 5-6... though i have been very impressed with the car's stabilty, braking and turn in.

The things i haven;t been so impressed with about the 1.8L engine is 2-3.5 rpm lags a little and the engine seems to kick into the gear even though i am clearly in 2nd or 3rd and giving stick... The ther thing is the a pillar... man that thing gets in the way when i am turning and looking to the other side of the road...

otherwise to compare to my R, chassis rigidity int he civic is high and gearbox is slicker... (i swapped bushings and change rod in R and only then is the shift feel comparable).

I think the Vti would easily be in the high 8s - and would love to run an EM1 or EK4 - B16A powerplant not as torquey but more top end... hmmmm any takers? LOL...

aaronng
24-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Are you sure it's gonna be 184kw? from what i've read they're gonna detune the engine since it's still gonna be fwd.

As for the concern of build quality have a read in this thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42262&page=2) , look at my post (15) which comments on the build quality of the Thai built civic.
http://www.mazda3mps.com.au/ says 184kW.

chylld
25-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Interior wise the Civic wins it for me, just looks more up market technology compared to the 3 as it has the digital dash. Civic also feels alot more roomier.

this is the point that sold the civic for me, the futuristic dash just made the 3's interior look old and cramped... and also i didn't like the 3's use of red lights (much prefer blue!)

my opinion is that the sp23 would handle better, and looks better on the outside, but given i spend most of my time with the car inside the car driving in peak hour traffic, neither are compelling arguments to make me cancel my civic order :)

hondarox
25-04-2006, 07:01 PM
2901 Mazda3 were sold in March compared with only 1659 Civics. I guess it's going to be very hard for the Civic to catch up in the absence of a hatch and a Made In Thailand label.

HHOONNDDAA
25-04-2006, 08:28 PM
where do you get stats about how many cars are sold each month?

chylld
25-04-2006, 09:42 PM
where do you get stats about how many cars are sold each month?

mazda stats from the mazda website here (http://www.mazda.com.au/currentnews.asp?articleZoneID=5075), honda stats from the honda website here (http://www.honda.com.au/lwp/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/News/Civic+Paves+Way+for+Honda%27s+Record+March+Result) .

i wonder if civic sales will creep up to mazda 3 levels... my guess is, most of the people who bought the new civic (like myself) based their decisions on web research and one or two test drives; i think there are a lot of people who prefer to wait to see how their friends like the new civic before they even get interested in it. and also a lot of people won't know a new civic exists until they end up behind one in traffic :P

regarding build quality coming out of thailand... from what i've heard, the build quality is surprisingly good. i certainly hope mine's good too, and doesn't start falling apart like some volkswagens :)

HHOONNDDAA
25-04-2006, 10:25 PM
4xs2000 sold! man, they must be rare as!

MKI4EVA
25-04-2006, 10:44 PM
mazda stats from the mazda website here (http://www.mazda.com.au/currentnews.asp?articleZoneID=5075), honda stats from the honda website here (http://www.honda.com.au/lwp/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/News/Civic+Paves+Way+for+Honda%27s+Record+March+Result) .

i wonder if civic sales will creep up to mazda 3 levels... my guess is, most of the people who bought the new civic (like myself) based their decisions on web research and one or two test drives; i think there are a lot of people who prefer to wait to see how their friends like the new civic before they even get interested in it. and also a lot of people won't know a new civic exists until they end up behind one in traffic :P

regarding build quality coming out of thailand... from what i've heard, the build quality is surprisingly good. i certainly hope mine's good too, and doesn't start falling apart like some volkswagens :)

IMO the doors feel very light and tinie..........

hey do you guys find it funny that the interior of the 06 is exactly the same as the US civic coupe? maybe just me hey.

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/051106a/honda-civic-si-sema2005-2-12.jpg

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/051106a/honda-civic-si-sema2005-2-21.jpg

I put money on us getting the coupe here in early 07.

Jazzle
25-04-2006, 11:36 PM
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/car-review/ce7974.aspx

my apology if this has already been posted,, the guy claimed "This may seem incongruous (although the rolling, in-gear response times heavily favoured the 2.0-litre, highlighting the superior torque spread) but we'll guarantee the manual Sport will post quicker times. (than the sport auto)".. if that's the case.. i would say sport is quite disappointing..

btw, i hear story about honda japan is gonna develop a type-r for civic.. if so hopefully we will get it instead of the coupe since they no longer produce integra type r.. =)))))

tanalasta
25-04-2006, 11:58 PM
The automatic Sport posted 9.9 seconds in Wheel Magazine from 0-100km/h. Taking the Auto for a spin myself, even with the paddle shift and red-lining the demo car, it was pretty damn close to 10 seconds.

I've been told the manual Sport and the Manual VTI both have do better. However, the Sport has the advantage of a much smoother power delivery and is a much more satisfying drive. And the leather seats, sunroof really "do" make it a much nicer car to be in.

If you want performance, don't buy a Civic. At least not unless they get the Type-R. But as far as a good, small/medium sized car - it's definitey worth the consideration.

IS250
26-04-2006, 09:20 AM
2901 Mazda3 were sold in March compared with only 1659 Civics. I guess it's going to be very hard for the Civic to catch up in the absence of a hatch and a Made In Thailand label.

Thats actually pretty damn good. The previous Civic was hovering at around 600 per month while the Mazda is constantly around the 2500 mark.
Who cares if its made in Thailand. The build quality still puts a lot of more expensive cars to shame.

I put money on us getting the coupe here in early 07.

I doubt it. The Civic Coupe like the Accord Coupe were built exclusively for the US market. They're not going to waste time and money converting it for RHD and to meet our ADR requirements just so Australia can sell 200 a month. Though I'd love to be proven wrong.

type one
26-04-2006, 10:29 AM
if you want performance don't get the civic?? hmmmm... nothing wrong with the performance of the Gen 8 ... as compared to the mazda IMO the civic sport is faster, handles better and is just a more complete driving experience...

i have driven both and the SP23 just doesn't cut it... it certainly feels to me like a chicks sports car... no feel, no response, no excitement.

push both cars around their limit and the civic definitely puts a smile on my face... could be more raw BUT that is not the target market...

lokets
26-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Just went to Honda showroom but the sales people are too busy to let me test drive the 2006 Civic in the morning. I would try again in the afternoon as I deemed myself in the class of "just-having-a-look", rather than "I-want-it-now,where-do-I-sign".

Anyhow, the sales lady was insistent that I am aware there is a long queue for the car. She said Honda did not expect the manual version to sell so well, and they built more auto's than manual's. But now the sales ratio is roughly 50:50 - auto vs manual. It is selling like hot cakes, and there's a long wait for the cake.

She said if you order the manual one now, you have to wait until around Oct (Nov to be safe) - that's 6 months wait!! And for the auto, you can have your darling about 6 weeks earlier, still that's some 4.5 months wait!!

I think very soon, Civic will catch up, if not exceed Mazda 3 in terms of sales volume per month. As to whether the face-lift Mazda (commencing in Jun 06) will change the numbers game significantly or not, I'm not so sure, but the 06 Civic is very, very well received.

BTW, the sales person also said there's no news if Civic hatch (like the UK one) will ever come or not, and don't hold your hopes too high that it may come in 2007. I also wonder if she said that to make me sign for the 06 Civic sedan... mmm...

She said the manual gear on Civic has an excellent feel and is shorter (in terms of throw) than the Jazz (I've got a auto CVT Jazz, so don't know what's it like). Apparently, an unexpected number of people are pleased with it enough to buy specifically the manual version, despite the longer wait.

Well, I look forward to a test drive and see what's the fuss is about.

MKI4EVA
26-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I doubt it. The Civic Coupe like the Accord Coupe were built exclusively for the US market. They're not going to waste time and money converting it for RHD and to meet our ADR requirements just so Australia can sell 200 a month. Though I'd love to be proven wrong.

oh so the EM's civic coupes were JDM?

aaronng
26-04-2006, 01:38 PM
She said the manual gear on Civic has an excellent feel and is shorter (in terms of throw) than the Jazz (I've got a auto CVT Jazz, so don't know what's it like). Apparently, an unexpected number of people are pleased with it enough to buy specifically the manual version, despite the longer wait.

Well, I look forward to a test drive and see what's the fuss is about.
Ask her if it has a shorter throw than the Accord Euro. :D

IS250
26-04-2006, 02:47 PM
oh so the EM's civic coupes were JDM?

Ok, why do you feel that the Civic Coupe will come to Australia? Is it because we got the previous EP Coupe? Or the Accord Coupe? Or the Acura CL? Or the Mitsubishi Eclipse? Or the Camry Coupe? Oh wait...hang on.

The current Civic Coupe is built IN the US FOR the US. They have a large enough market where they can do whatever the hell they want. They are not going to waste money converting cars just for the Australian market. Why do you think it took so long for the Ford Mustang to come to Australia?
Japan currently don't have a Civic Coupe, in fact, no other market in the world has a Civic Coupe, so unless Japan or any other large RHD market decide that they want a coupe version, we're stuck with just the sedan, and the hatch if we're lucky. History shows that Australia has a slim to zero chance of landing the Civic Coupe. So stop wasting your time dreaming about the Civic Coupe!