PDA

View Full Version : Getting clutch soon! few Q's

89civic
23-04-2006, 11:57 AM
hey, im getting my new clutch within the next week or so, i was gonna do it myself but read up on some stuff. Will the flywheel need machining to do the job properly? and will it be a straight swap for the clutch?

SKREMN
23-04-2006, 01:54 PM
better off machining it

ECU-MAN
23-04-2006, 07:32 PM
dont have to, but it is best to do so

what I do if its not majorly screwed is give the friction surface a real good rub with emery paper to deglase it.

kyle
23-04-2006, 08:56 PM
The thing about it is that since taking the gearbox off is such a big job, almost more work than actually popping an engine out. Usually people do everything down there while its off.

Things you should do include...
- Machine flywheel($50)
- Replace Flywheel Spigot Baring($5)
- Replace Thrust/Throwout Baring
- Inspect/Clean Shift fork
- Re grease shift fork.
- Re-grease Input shaft splines
- Re-grease Thrust baring inner surfaces

As long as you use a torque wrench for your flywheel to crankshaft and pressure plate bolts, taking your time this is an easy DIY, can easially do over a weekend. Take box off Sat morning, Machine flywheel in the avo, install everything on Sunday.

Be sure to bed in your clutch for at least 1000Kms and you should have no problem. You can also put that $600 laybour charges back away in your bank for a Holiday! :D

Regards
Kyle

ECU-MAN
23-04-2006, 08:59 PM
dont forget to add the rear main seal to that list :)

89civic
23-04-2006, 10:14 PM
thanks alot for that everyone, il look into it all before i start pullin shit apart! And is it a problem with the gearbox if the car misses gears when changing quick or is it from the clutch being worn?

kyle
23-04-2006, 10:57 PM
I would look into your shift linkage bushings. Worn bushings make your stick feel sloppy and give you alot of movement. By getting new ones it will tighten the feel of your shifter making it more accurate, eliminating the chance of missing the 'H' pattern of your gearbox.

RCS 20L
24-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Getting mine changed right now by mechanic shop.....

Is it necessary to use Honda gear box oil....???

kyle
24-04-2006, 03:21 PM
You don't have to put it in. Although it's Cheap, Genuine and efficent lubricant. So why not. By putting in thinner performence oil you are just increasing the amount of wear on your gearbox components. And since your not in a 1st Class Japanese Racing team where every 0.1hp counts it just doesn't make sence.

89civic
24-04-2006, 03:57 PM
I would look into your shift linkage bushings. Worn bushings make your stick feel sloppy and give you alot of movement. By getting new ones it will tighten the feel of your shifter making it more accurate, eliminating the chance of missing the 'H' pattern of your gearbox.
thats exactly what happen and how it feels, when in gear the stick moves as much as it would in neutral, from side to side. could you estimate the price of getting that fixed?

kyle
24-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Would really depend on whether you got OEM or After market Poly Urathane. OEM would probably be around, i dunno say $50(thats really a guess there), Poly Urathane a Bit Cheaper.

BlitZ
13-06-2006, 03:44 PM
The thing about it is that since taking the gearbox off is such a big job, almost more work than actually popping an engine out. Usually people do everything down there while its off.

Things you should do include...
- Machine flywheel($50)
- Replace Flywheel Spigot Baring($5)
- Replace Thrust/Throwout Baring
- Inspect/Clean Shift fork
- Re grease shift fork.
- Re-grease Input shaft splines
- Re-grease Thrust baring inner surfaces

As long as you use a torque wrench for your flywheel to crankshaft and pressure plate bolts, taking your time this is an easy DIY, can easially do over a weekend. Take box off Sat morning, Machine flywheel in the avo, install everything on Sunday.

Be sure to bed in your clutch for at least 1000Kms and you should have no problem. You can also put that $600 laybour charges back away in your bank for a Holiday! :D

Regards
Kyle

As above.. what grease do i need to use on the parts?

general purpose? the black stuff...

and do i also use it on the cv splines too?

aaronng
13-06-2006, 03:56 PM
As above.. what grease do i need to use on the parts?

general purpose? the black stuff...

and do i also use it on the cv splines too?
I'd prefer to use high temperature lithium grease. High temperature so that it doesn't become runny when the engine/gearbox is hot, and lithium because the thin layer doesn't break when put under pressure.

Chris_F
13-06-2006, 05:34 PM
goodluck - make sure you grease all the neccessary parts really well.. i know how much of a bitch it is to take a gearbox out.

Limbo
13-06-2006, 07:38 PM
get a clutch kit ($400 sports organic comes with bearings and spogit bearing) it will have nearly all the components, get the rear main seal ($55), OEM honda MTF oil ($15x 3), Machine the flywheel if need to (If it has burn marks and not smooth) ($70 apparently Honda flywheels are harder beacuse of the studs on it).

Cost of labour $350

Just got mine done about 1 mth ago

shebangs
13-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Limbo, I'm getting new Exedy Sports Organic clutch + Toda flywheel any day now. My clutch at the moment has the annoying (and bad) squeaking noise when I press it in. How do I get this all fixed properly? Just taking it to a mechanic to get installed, is that enough?

Or do I need to tell them to grease up everything as per Kyle's post?

Limbo
13-06-2006, 11:12 PM
usually the squeaking noise is from the thrust bearing getting old. So long as the mechanic knows what they are doing they should be doing the right thing with the clutch. Just make sure you take it to a reputable mechanic

barefootbonzai
14-06-2006, 08:45 AM
A mechanic would automaticly grease up them parts, it's just apart of the procedure not some secret special technique or anything.

89civic
14-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey. im getting my clutch tomorro and have got the old one out already. how do i get the thrust/throwout bearing out? i think thats what it is, the one that moves off the input shaft when the clutch is engaged. do i need to grease it up to, if so, what part of it?