PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen CRX Q

toE
23-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Dont know if this is the rite forum to post this, so mods, feel free to move this.

I've tried reading and searching in this forum about 3rd Gens CRXs but to no avail, and so hoping someone can enlighten me.

What I would like to know are,

1) How many variations of 3rd Gen CRXs are there?? Engine wise or anything else for that matter.

2) 3rd Gens basically were produced frm 1993 correct??

3) Is/Are there DOHC VTEC CRXs in Aus or are all of dem D-Vs??

Thanx.

Jimmy.

Setanta
23-09-2003, 07:44 AM
They came out with DOHC VTEC - there was a SOHC varient as well (off the top of my head). I wish I knew but they never interested me compared to the gen 2 CRX.

IDBTCH
23-09-2003, 10:20 AM
1) How many variations of 3rd Gen CRXs are there?? Engine wise or anything else for that matter.

there are ultimately 2 types of Gen 3s that i know of.. Ones wit electric roofs n ones witout :D

2) 3rd Gens basically were produced frm 1993 correct??

April 1992 is the first release

3) Is/Are there DOHC VTEC CRXs in Aus or are all of dem D-Vs??

All

:D

[G]
23-09-2003, 10:35 AM
All the aus spec del sols are DOHC VTEC - the D Vs are imports (there are a few b16a imports too goin round) and am pretty sure the ones that u tend to find with the electric roofs..

Jnr Teggy
23-09-2003, 08:16 PM
i have seen a few D series engines and a heap of B16a's

AUSDM came with B16a...soem imports had d16y8's

toE
24-09-2003, 02:34 AM
ok...so AUSDM CRXs are all DOHC VTECs...what's their engine codes?? they're 1.8l rite??

and that roof thing is an "option" or standard??

ahhe...i'm only asking all these Qs cos thinking of getting a 3rd Gen CRX, so wanna do as much research as possible before i dive into it.

and thanx so far for all your responses. appreciate it.

Jimmy.

aZZ
24-09-2003, 09:26 AM
no the only two variations in motors of the Gen3 is one has a D16y8, and one has a B16A. no 1.8L CRX's were ever produced. good handeling car but just a little bit on the heavier side of a EG civic.

SLAVE
24-09-2003, 09:50 AM
By the ROOF THING I assume you're talking about the hydraulic one? Dont get it, it just adds more weight and I have 2 friends who have/hd them and they eat what little boot space you already lack.

[G]
24-09-2003, 02:01 PM
yer no 1.8ls .... no point in buying a d16y8 unless all u want it for is pure looks.theres hardly any variation in prices between the two so id go with a b16a aus spec as thisd get u cheaper insurance. Like slave said dont go with the flash roof thingy as there have been people who have owned these come on to our forums looking for how to fix them or where to get the appropriate parts for em cos theyve conked out.

G

toE
24-09-2003, 05:55 PM
so wat's the difference between the 2 engines?? which stock engine has more power??

and that roof thing, well, i know that there is the you-can-take-it-off version, as i swapped my mate for a crx once for a week and his could be taken off....that would b the targa version?? and then there's another version, basically??

[G]
24-09-2003, 06:20 PM
the b16a2 has 170 hp (160hp aus) and the d16y8 has 128-130hp... go the b16a definately.

On the roof issue..basically one is removable like your friends and there is another that stows itself in the boot automatically or someshit..but like i said before its just something else that could possible conk out on u..id just get the removable targa top like most ppl have.

toE
24-09-2003, 06:36 PM
] On the roof issue..basically one is removable like your friends and there is another that stows itself in the boot automatically or someshit..but like i said before its just something else that could possible conk out on u..id just get the removable targa top like most ppl have.

didn't know that there is one where you can stow in the boot.

i know my mate's one is u have to take it off manually, and well, there's brackets and space in the boot for it to go...removable targa!?!, maybe??

aZZ
24-09-2003, 08:25 PM
yeh ive seen one in action, with the electric roof, it lifts the roof up and then slides it back over the boot and the boot pretty much opens up and 'eats' the roof. to put it simply. but yeh the persons CRX ive seen this on the roof machine thing stuffed up and had to be fixed, basicly the only CRX's with the electric roof im pretty sure are imports. SiR CRX gen 3s.

toE
25-09-2003, 12:49 AM
cool, so it's safe to say den that MOST aus crx have manual-removable-roofs??

sesshoumaru
25-09-2003, 04:25 PM
by most aus ones u mean aus delivered?

if so, then all aus delivered del sol's have the manual roof, which you store in the boot... they all (afaik) have the DOHC VTEC (b16A) engine.

no crx's come in 'targa', all have a hard aero top.

the japanese del sol had the electric 'stowing' roof... there are a couple floating around australia. I always hear they have problems tho (can't confrim it, coz i've never owned one myself). Plus its jsut extra weight.

other than that, i'd say taking the roof off is a kinda hassle to do ALL the time, it's a little funny to carry... but the benefits are worth it!

not much space inside the car, a few storage bins here and there, but not that much space inside em... the boot is big for a small car... so u can always chuck everything in there.

it's fuel economical and easy to drive, the b16a goes fairly well imo...

toE
25-09-2003, 04:54 PM
roger dat sesshoumaru :)

think that about covers it all!!

b16a dohc vtec 3rd gen crx frm 1992 w/ removable roof that can b stored in da boot.

sesshoumaru
25-09-2003, 06:30 PM
glad i could help toe.. :P.

if u got anymore questions just ask... i don't know everything about them, but i did just buy one recently :)...

toE
26-09-2003, 01:57 AM
yea?? wat year?? price?? ks??

FANATK
29-09-2003, 02:06 PM
i got one..

all the aus delivered ones are manual removable targa tops that store in the boot and run on the B16a with manual transmission...

some imports come with the auto roof, single cam motor and automatic transmission...

if you are really interested, ill sell you mine, make me an offer...

weezer
29-09-2003, 02:31 PM
OK i got 288,000kms on my Del Slo. anyone beat that???? :lol: