PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Proposals for F1

LUD02C
27-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Here is the list that Max Mosley wants to enforce in the new “season” on F1. Which will be 2008.
Interesting on what he wants to do.
Main goal I think is to reduce the money factor (which is good) and create a lot more excitement during races.

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/829557095__F1_Proposals.pdf

P.S. I also posted this on FastFours!

Jus-10
30-04-2004, 03:00 PM
I think this is one of those topics where pretty much everyone is going to have a different opinion.

Yeah money is a factor, but remember this is the pinnacle of motorsport and if you can't play with the big boys then go home.

Whilst increased competition is a good idea, I don't agree with a lot of suggestions, mainly those relating to controlled components like tyres, aero package, ecu and specifying the type of materials that can be used to make the engine.....They may as well just have the one-make Daewoo Lanos series!

All said though, you really have to think about whether this is really going to have a significant impact on how the current results are panning out. When it comes down to it, the same teams are going to have the same engineers and technicians so theoretically one would think that the gap may only close between the top teams, leaving the bottom running teams to struggle along.

OK so there is no restriction of sale, loan or exchange of components between teams, but are any of the big teams going to supply the lesser teams with components of equal quality to what they are using? Of course not, and that is why the poorer teams will continue to suffer.

I believe that whilst these changes may reduce the overall running costs to teams in general, the big teams will be left with even more money to put in to R&D and engineering of the few remaining components that can be adjusted/individualised.

Sounds like it's just turning in to a glorified touring car championship...or a major case of tall poppy syndrome....

LUD02C
30-04-2004, 03:15 PM
I think it might split into 2 series!
But F1 has to be the top job so controlling the money and technology is stupid.

I'm in two different minds about it.. :roll:

VTEC16
03-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeh this is certainly a contentious issue!

No doubt F1 must stay the pinnacle of motorsport and hence technology, so some of the proposed rules could undermine this. smaller engines dont concern me too much....although it has the potential to increase the gap to the top teams....

As for the breakaway series, i dont think it will happen. Bernie ecclestone is too clever to let something like that happen -I think bernie is a very dynamic bussinessman who does a very good job with the general running of F1 as we know it today, yet he does pocket more than his fair share.

Javed
10-05-2004, 03:48 AM
No tyre change, WTF! :shock: Some of those rules are crazy. The way F1 works today is fine, no need to change it. If these rules are an attempt to create fair opposition and competition and try to bridge the gap, you can only have a look at the 1 car/no alteration rule that was recently implemented in an attempt to birdge this significant gap. Did it work? Not really, as we can see one team still dominates the play to an extremity. It doesn't matter at the end of the day, as the teams with the most money will spend it on R&D as already said, into the new concepts. F1 is the top motorsport and is a pleasure to watch. Seeing those cars do the unthinkable is spectacular, and some changes might hinder the overall appeal.

However, whan that bastard Schumacher is gone, the sport will be even better! :P :twisted:

bigteethygrin
10-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Maybe the drivers should be placed into a draft each year much like AFL so that if unlucky shuey could find himself trying to contend in a minardi whilst verstappen is doing his best to look good ina ferrari??

LUD02C
10-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Maybe the drivers should be placed into a draft each year much like AFL so that if unlucky shuey could find himself trying to contend in a minardi whilst verstappen is doing his best to look good ina ferrari??

Why should the best driver be denied the best team?
You have to remember people, its all about money NOT what you want.