PDA

View Full Version : Gear box questions

kat33b
25-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Since we are having dramas sourcing a gear box for our civic rally car - is there anyone that can answer these questions for us?

1. Will a B18 bolt up tp a B16a2?
2. How many splines on the drive shaft does a standard B16a2 box have? Ours has 27 and we have been told that a standard box has 23 - Is this right?
3. It seems that our gear box has mugen lsd and 4.54 final drive is this standard or is this an after market?

All help appreciated!!!!
Kate

Limbo
25-04-2006, 11:20 AM
1- Yes
2- Dunno someone else help?
3- Aftermarket. Normal civic b16a & b16b is 4.4, b18c7(type R) 4.7

Just courious are your a female rally driver??? I've never met one before that's all ;)

kat33b
25-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks heaps for that. This car has been a steep learning curve!! Well you have now met a female rally driver :) (in this forum anyway) Although I have already missed 2 events due to not being able to source a gearbox so at the moment I am a frustrated female rally driver :(

Civic Type R
25-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Since we are having dramas sourcing a gear box for our civic rally car - is there anyone that can answer these questions for us?

2. How many splines on the drive shaft does a standard B16a2 box have? Ours has 27 and we have been told that a standard box has 23 - Is this right?
3. It seems that our gear box has mugen lsd and 4.54 final drive is this standard or is this an after market?

All help appreciated!!!!
Kate

1. yes. All B series parts are compatible with each other
2. odd question
3. The B18c R gearbox has a helical LSD standard and some JDM Sir boxes have LSD fitted as an option. The EK4 tranny has a 4.4 Final drive. The Type R Integra box (B18cR) is 4.785. The higher the drive the closer the gears basically (without oing into each individual gear ratio)
4. Mugen LSD. nice choice but i think you have to service them every 10,000 ks or so whereas the OEM Honda one you dont. Correct me if im wrong tho.

Checkout the dohc-vtec.com.au website i wrote for further info :)

Limbo
25-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Female rally driver <---Cool, i love rally.
I didn't know anyone rallied the ek4 an added +

Where abouts do you rally and which class? I'd like to come and watch.

I rem from my friend building Cobras that the you use less splines when you make a car that had alot of HP, not sure if how it holds for rally as its diffrent pressures etc.
I know they do get stronger ones made up in the US, but i haven't had much experience with these. Honda-tech.com seem to look into stronger drive shafts and they don't seem that expensive.

But like Civic R said the helical LSD which though it might not be as good will not wear out and is more reliable. Might be a good choice as it would be easily sourced, also will give you shorter ratios if you use the direct Type R box as a whole. usually about $1k in price but if your always breaking them i'm sure a wrecker could source you a few from Japan

kat33b
25-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks - that actually helps quite a bit. :thumbsup:

This year am doing ACT and NSW championship (although have already missed the first round of the NSW champ beacuse of the gear box!!) and various other local stuff as time (and money!!) allows

Check out www.nswrally.com or www.bmsc.com.au for dates. I am running in P2 but am considering minor changes to make it GroupN(3) for selected events.

Come and say hi and have a look at the car if you do manage to get to any rounds :)

CRXer
25-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I vaguely remember some info on helical LSD's being prone to breakage upon sudden changes in the surface grip,like riding off ripple strips etc & biting suddenly on the track surface.I should imagine this happening quite a bit in rallying with all the surface changes,undulations and air time????
I could be very wrong.....
BTW for the 2nd time ,pics of car & driver please :p

kat33b
25-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Your chances of getting photos of me are VERY slim - you would have to come to a rally for that :)

As for pics of the car, will do asap. :honda:

ECU-MAN
25-04-2006, 02:18 PM
the B16A ( JDM ) gearbox uses 27 splines if that helps at all.

I just went outside and counted them for you :)

DynoDave
25-04-2006, 03:16 PM

All help appreciated!!!!
Kate
Did your gearbox break or your need different ratio's or why do you need another gearbox.or did I just not read something further down the page.
Regards Dyno Dave

kat33b
25-04-2006, 04:51 PM
It broke. Lost 3rd gear during a rally. We got the bits to fix it on the (we thought educated) assumption that it was an integra type r box but they don't fit. There is no markings on the gear box so I don't really know what it is. Hence why I decided it would be easier to get another one but now I can't source one. Any ideas?

EG6_SiR
25-04-2006, 05:21 PM
just some xtra info, type r box, well 96-97 dont have different final drive, they have 4.4. after 98 they have 4,75... also prices for itr boxes usually start at $1500. try to get someone to import you some, hopefully a bit cheaper... if u every decide to stop rallying the car, you can easily sell off the spare boxes.. hope that helps a little

damm cool that ur rallying that sort of car, wouldnt mind doind that if ever had the budget for it. good work

Civic Type R
25-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Gears 1-3 on the Civic SiR / VTiR are the same as the ITR box.
You can buy a Type R box and interchange parts at will with the SiR parts. Even the synchros etc. Thats how they rebuilt my box ~ because the parts are the same.

kat33b
25-04-2006, 07:58 PM
The polt thickens :) Thanks - that answers yet another question. If only I could find a type R box to buy :mad:

CRXer
25-04-2006, 10:10 PM
TODA is doing preorders on Type R boxes,if you check the traders section.Didnt want to tell you this,because i want one of them,seem like a descent price too,brand new!
Damn i always give in to the ladies......... ;)

Zdster
25-04-2006, 10:24 PM
As said above, there are a number of traders who either have or can get gearboxes for you. They are fairly regularly listed on yahoo auctions japan and a number of traders on this site can bid and get them in for you.

barefootbonzai
26-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah all the b-serious gearbox's are interchangable. When you said the Type R box didn't fit was it because of the drivershaft, cause i don't see any other reason y it wouldn't.

If it was, it might be the mugen LSD, and the previous owner has changed the inner shaft to suit the LSD.

kat33b
26-04-2006, 04:16 PM
TODA is doing preorders on Type R boxes,if you check the traders section.Didnt want to tell you this,because i want one of them,seem like a descent price too,brand new!
Damn i always give in to the ladies......... ;)

Finally - a benefit in being female :) Thanks.

kat33b
26-04-2006, 04:17 PM
As said above, there are a number of traders who either have or can get gearboxes for you. They are fairly regularly listed on yahoo auctions japan and a number of traders on this site can bid and get them in for you.

Thanks for the info!

kat33b
26-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah all the b-serious gearbox's are interchangable. When you said the Type R box didn't fit was it because of the drivershaft, cause i don't see any other reason y it wouldn't.

If it was, it might be the mugen LSD, and the previous owner has changed the inner shaft to suit the LSD.

That would make sense - i'll check it out - ta.

spanks
27-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Give Frank Modena a call on (03)9782 4420,(03)9782 5273,(03)9782 5274..he does alot of rally stuff and started doing very heavy duty gearboxes for Hondas about 4 years ago

Civic Type R
27-04-2006, 12:30 PM
BTW I had my ITR box fully reabuilt, by means of stripping it, inspecting every tooth on every gear and the synchros replaced, new oil, new 4th gear selector hub and put back drive to away for $680.
Perhaps you need to come back to Perth Kat ;)

kat33b
27-04-2006, 09:42 PM
BTW I had my ITR box fully reabuilt, by means of stripping it, inspecting every tooth on every gear and the synchros replaced, new oil, new 4th gear selector hub and put back drive to away for $680.
Perhaps you need to come back to Perth Kat ;)

Good price!! I think I have almost solved the problem, although any further suggestions appreciated. :) Never actually been to Perth. I bought the car sight unseen - is that an inviation to WA? ;)

kat33b
27-04-2006, 09:43 PM

kat33b
27-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Give Frank Modena a call on (03)9782 4420,(03)9782 5273,(03)9782 5274..he does alot of rally stuff and started doing very heavy duty gearboxes for Hondas about 4 years ago

Thanks for the numbers and info ;)

Civic Type R
28-04-2006, 12:02 PM
:) Never actually been to Perth. I bought the car sight unseen - is that an inviation to WA? ;)
Only if you can make it.
You need to weigh up the price of having something done locally or going somewhere who can do a bloody good job interstate for cheaper. Im not saying eastern state workshops are crap but can only advise on my experience with local Perth workshops. Plus, it wouldnt hurt for you to pay the crew at RaceTorque a visit as i know they're EXTREMELY hard to get hold off come WRC days when you will most likely come over here anyway.

kat33b
28-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Only if you can make it.
You need to weigh up the price of having something done locally or going somewhere who can do a bloody good job interstate for cheaper. Im not saying eastern state workshops are crap but can only advise on my experience with local Perth workshops. Plus, it wouldnt hurt for you to pay the crew at RaceTorque a visit as i know they're EXTREMELY hard to get hold off come WRC days when you will most likely come over here anyway.

The RaceTorgue guys have been great over the phone and I fully intend to get over there and have a chat with them before too long. Luckily through this site I have managed to hook up with someone who has beyond the call of duty sorted the box out enough for me to race tomorrow. I would mention him but not sure if he is cool with that nonetheless :thumbsup: Appreciate all the thoughts and ideas - so thanks :)

DynoDave
30-04-2006, 06:20 PM
The RaceTorgue guys have been great over the phone and I fully intend to get over there and have a chat with them before too long. Luckily through this site I have managed to hook up with someone who has beyond the call of duty sorted the box out enough for me to race tomorrow. I would mention him but not sure if he is cool with that nonetheless :thumbsup: Appreciate all the thoughts and ideas - so thanks :)
Hope you had a good day racing ;)
Regards Dyno Dave

kat33b
03-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the help Dave. You're a legend!! Couldn't have done it without you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
03-05-2006, 09:26 PM
how did you go at the meet ???