PDA

View Full Version : Civic Coupe VTI-R Rare?

Vtec-Fire
25-04-2006, 08:23 PM
hi,

I am in the market for a :honda: Civic Coupe Vti-R, it seem like only a few that is up for sale? :(
Why are they so rare?
Are they any good? thats why people prefer to keep them? :thumbsup:

what is all those honda code that identify civic coupe?
or just Coupe Vti-R?

CHeers,
dar

J-MuN
25-04-2006, 08:34 PM
The Civic Coupe VTi-R is called an EM1. They are the replacement to the VTi-R hatchback which was during 96-98, prefacelift. In 99-00, they produced the Civic Coupe VTi-R. They have the same engines as the Hatches but different body shape. Search dude, this has been covered a billion times.

Here's some specs on them:

Civic VTi-R
Released: 1995-2000
Engine: 1.6L DOHC VTEC 16 valve 118kW
Weight: Hatch-1105kg Coupe-1114kg
Brakes: 4 wheel Anti-Lock Disc Brakes (ABS)
Features: Power windows, mirrors, sunroof (not available on the Coupe) and central locking
Models: 3 door hatch or 2 door coupe.

Have a look through here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30977) and you'll get all you need. If you have any other questions, look thru the Noob Forum (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

*edit: If you're looking for an EM1, you just have to be very very patient. You'll find one, but you'll have to look around. ;)

Qwooootz
25-04-2006, 08:36 PM
hi man, first off theirs alot of threads that can answer your questions here if you do a search, but anyways since i see youve signed up recently :thumbsup:

anyways the so called honda code for the civic coupe VTiR is the EM1, I guess EM1s are rare because they were probally not marketed as much here in AUS as in US, making the car not as common as other cars, and for this reason people may keep them as they are a rare find, making it even harder to find them for sale these days.

but ive noticed a few people these days selling them privatly so if you keep looking out im sure youll find one.:thumbsup:

As an owner of one,i think they are great cars, iam even putting on hold of getting a S2k until i can afford to have the use of both,:D thats how much i love my EM1.

Goodluck on your car hunting!

Vtec-Fire
25-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your replies!
Yup am Noob, Will try to search next time!
BUt u guys been great help!!!

Cheers,
DAr

Alpine
25-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Even rarer seem to be the 99-00 GLi Coupes.

Terry
25-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Even rarer seem to be the 99-00 GLi Coupes.

i seen 2 in the last 3 yrs lol

pchio
25-04-2006, 11:50 PM
^^^ ive onli seen one ever lol

anyway mate just keep looking as they tend to pop up every now and then
i waited 4 months for mine
so u just got to be a lil patient and dont buy the first one you see unless its a good deal

try carsales and trading post

good luck on ur search

Omotesando
26-04-2006, 12:28 AM
The Civic Coupe VTi-R has better headers and short final drive ratio doesn't it?

I have seen the Coupe vs Hatch VTi-Rs at lower speed drags, the Coupe wins hands down due to the gearing mainly.

MOTOR got Cameron McConville to do a 6.95S 0-100kph on the Coupe version before. The hatch does about 7.7-7.8s in comparison. Huge difference.

High speed though the hatch is quicker, and the hatch most definitely handles much better!

Kandy
26-04-2006, 01:25 AM
the coupes are pretty rare compared to hatches and sedans- therefore people selling them usually want quite abit more in price

barefootbonzai
26-04-2006, 03:08 PM
The Civic Coupe VTi-R has better headers and short final drive ratio doesn't it?

I have seen the Coupe vs Hatch VTi-Rs at lower speed drags, the Coupe wins hands down due to the gearing mainly.

MOTOR got Cameron McConville to do a 6.95S 0-100kph on the Coupe version before. The hatch does about 7.7-7.8s in comparison. Huge difference.

High speed though the hatch is quicker, and the hatch most definitely handles much better!

Never heard of such a thing. Both the EK4 and EM1 have identical headers and finaldrive. I don't know where you heard that from, but that information is incorrect.

Coupes are slower than hatches. From 0 - 480380km/h.

Vtec-Fire
26-04-2006, 03:10 PM

???
:p
yah, i think Hatches are lighter by about 10 kgs!

justrunit
26-04-2006, 03:16 PM
I reckon coupes are sexier though. And because its rare, it'll be mad to own one! I wanted a coupe myself, but I couldn't find any decent ones and plus I was impatient. But if you look hard enough, and have enough patience, I'm sure you'll get what you want! Maybe even more!

Vtec-Fire
26-04-2006, 03:21 PM
yup! they look hot, with lowered and some nice look rims!
I seen 1, with body kits and mag etc, candy apple red, 95k, prices is 18000,
gona have a look tonite,
see how it goes!
but yea, i will be patient!!!
thanks for all the advices!
cheers,

DreadAngel
26-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Aren't the VTi-R Coupes just the American Si Coupe except renamed VTi-R for us special Aussies?

nobbs
26-04-2006, 06:48 PM
if u want a em1 coupe make sure its an EM1, as there is Vti coupes also, they are the EJ8 so dont buy an EJ8 thinkin its an EM1, that candy apple one ur talking about is a Vti (EJ8) as far as i know

bubblecivic
26-04-2006, 06:54 PM
gona have a look tonite,
see how it goes!
cheers,

Yeah nobbs is right! Stay clear of that one its actually a VTI not a VTi-R!

BeeH
26-04-2006, 06:58 PM
gona have a look tonite,
see how it goes!
cheers,

Are you talkin bout Daniel [HLUC8N] or whatever....if it is, hes got an engine conversion, CTR engine last time i talkd to him....

seihoa
26-04-2006, 07:05 PM
i hear it has a b16 conversion so yea .... still might b ok
but ill b paying 18 k for a real vtir coupe instead

justrunit
26-04-2006, 07:13 PM
i hear it has a b16 conversion so yea .... still might b ok
but ill b paying 18 k for a real vtir coupe instead

This si the car on carsales.com right?
It's been on there for ages now I think.
There was another one very similar, but with scissors doors LOL
So ricey

Vtec-Fire
26-04-2006, 10:11 PM
if u want a em1 coupe make sure its an EM1, as there is Vti coupes also, they are the EJ8 so dont buy an EJ8 thinkin its an EM1, that candy apple one ur talking about is a Vti (EJ8) as far as i know

i duno if we are talkin about the same car?
but the seller said its VTI R,
now am raised concerns,
by look at the engine, how do u tell its Vti or VTI R?

Vtec-Fire
26-04-2006, 10:14 PM
the 1 on the carsales.com.

it has black carbon GT wing
isit that 1 u guys refering to?
not the scissors door, just not on for me..
lol

DOHCTR Coopz!
26-04-2006, 10:57 PM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3759/img03373ik.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

thats exactly what the stock engine bay will look like!! unfortunately for me thats my engine bay.. :(

EDIT: thats the b16a2 off an EM1 btw..

Vtec-Fire
26-04-2006, 11:02 PM
contradition?

if its Vtec VTi R, why are u unfortunate?
hmmm...

Vtec-Fire
26-04-2006, 11:04 PM
the car i look at today, was a red Candy Apple, civic coupe, with body kit,
white rims, and with big ass GT wing,
yea, the engine looks like that.
1 thing i dun like about it, is that the cluster gauge lightning,
just horrible...
doesnt glow up. its like down light shining on it.

hmmm....

DOHCTR Coopz!
26-04-2006, 11:06 PM
because its completely stock bros. :(
maybe someone can host a pic of the d series 4 ya!

also did the EJ8s come standard with factory strut aswell?
im guessing they didnt..

lilphil
27-04-2006, 01:57 AM
how much r u lookin 2 spend on 1?

Omotesando
27-04-2006, 04:40 AM
Never heard of such a thing. Both the EK4 and EM1 have identical headers and finaldrive. I don't know where you heard that from, but that information is incorrect.

Sorry, actually it seems like you're incorrect (but so was I. Read below). :o To me it is pretty obvious the speed acceleration of the VTi-R Coupe at lower speeds is much faster than the VTi-R Hatch. This is also reflected by MOTOR's testing of the Coupe version in Bang for your Bucks 2000 Edition, pls go and check it.
0-100kph comes up in 6.9Xs.

The proof is here:
http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/newsarticle.html?&id=HON&doc=hnd9903151

The engine is mated to a short-throw, close-ratio five-speed manual gearbox for sporty performance and driving pleasure. Compared with the Hatch VTi-R, the lower gear ratios have been modified for optimum acceleration, while higher gears are taller for relaxed highway cruising.

So it seems like I'm correct.

As for whether the EK4 vs EM1 had different headers, I was told this by an EK4 owner when we were chattibg to a workshop about various options available. They said the EM1 header infact is slightly different in design and flows better.

Well, without seeing them in person I can't confirm, that is why I put a question mark over the headers/extractors (?) comment I previously made, but not on the gear ratio because I knew I was correct on that fact (actually I just found out I initially wrote Final drive for some reason. I was thinking about the Civic Type R instead... woops). :zip:

BlitZ
27-04-2006, 10:02 AM
ek4=em1.. engine and power wise.. including gear ratio..
do these editors know what they are talkin about

"The engine is mated to a short-throw, close-ratio five-speed manual gearbox for sporty performance and driving pleasure. Compared with the Hatch VTi-R, the lower gear ratios have been modified for optimum acceleration, while higher gears are taller for relaxed highway cruising."

you kidding me right..

And No.. i dont have a black interior as stated in that article akakakk

ian
27-04-2006, 10:06 AM
yes it is a fabulous car, the EM1..........i had the pleasure in purchasing 1 of the last of 3 in the Honda showroom brand new, last 2000...........i have moved on since then........it was a harmonious love affair........unforgettable...........*sigh*

barefootbonzai
27-04-2006, 10:27 AM
omfg, you are an ediot. Them guys have no idea what they are talking about and neither do you. As i've said before and blitz just said there is no difference. I've owned and taken both cars apart and i know for a fact. Funni shit some of you guys.

ian
27-04-2006, 10:34 AM
relax barefoot......................they say..............and we know.

all that matters is that our EM1 relationships are/were very special.

Omotesando
27-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I give it the benefit of the doubt that the Editor was wrong then.

Can someone explain to me how the speed difference came about though?

I have seen EM1 and EK4 fight it out on Calder Park in the same class - at the start the EM1 jumps ahead quite easily. I was as amazed as everyone else.

And then MOTOR did the testing it was nearly 1 sec ahead to 100kph.

Having said that, the EK4s won on the track in the end, predominantly because they corner much better :)

nugget666
27-04-2006, 08:02 PM
where are you located???

http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=3040334&current_rec=2&used_rec=1&total_rec=6&sort_type=&total_rec=6&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=74&keyword=COUPE&state_id=4&search_distance=25

http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2980880&current_rec=3&used_rec=1&total_rec=6&sort_type=&total_rec=6&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=74&keyword=COUPE&state_id=4&search_distance=25

http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2918056&current_rec=14&used_rec=3&total_rec=23&sort_type=&total_rec=23&sort_type=&make_id=19&model_id=74&keyword=COUPE&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

luzinit
27-04-2006, 08:14 PM
driver skills mate
exactly same gearbox and engine
with our torqueless b16as, a good launch is very important

I give it the benefit of the doubt that the Editor was wrong then.

Can someone explain to me how the speed difference came about though?

I have seen EM1 and EK4 fight it out on Calder Park in the same class - at the start the EM1 jumps ahead quite easily. I was as amazed as everyone else.

And then MOTOR did the testing it was nearly 1 sec ahead to 100kph.

Having said that, the EK4s won on the track in the end, predominantly because they corner much better :)

Omotesando
27-04-2006, 09:15 PM
It makes sense but 0.8-0.9S off is a bit too excessive for driver skillz to make up.

Drivers skillz did not exist in the EM1 driver that I saw on the track that day. In fact, his car was keyed by the other EK4 racers later on the street becoz he was deliberately blocking them on track haha. :S

Does anyone hear drive an EM1 VTi-R and has dragged another EK4 VTi-R?

I'm not talking about Si-R as they're slightly quicker :)

Vtec-Fire
27-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks Nugget:

those in QLD tho,
am in sydney! ;p
they have some decent Coupe up QLD, but plane ticket, lol,
wat if its not as advertise.

nugget666
27-04-2006, 09:40 PM
there were a couple in sydney.